Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Francis! Francis! X1 First Look
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Francis!...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
CoffeeForLife

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: ECM Rafaelo, Verona, San...
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly,...
Posted Sat May 29, 2004, 1:53am
Subject: Re: Francis! Francis! X1 First Look

Bob,

When I said ready to go I meant ready to put in the machine after the purging. The main thing being to prepare the coffee side of stuff before frothing so the milk dosen't lose too much temp.

Personally I drink ristretto - short black, but my partner likes hot latte so I have to get this right just for her.

James
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Sat May 29, 2004, 9:29am

MarkPrince Said:

But I fear that once again, the old "we design it for 220, make comprimises for 110" has reared its head. Having a super tiny deadband in the thermostat is sweetness indeed. Having a pump that LOSES A PORTION OF ITS POWER when the boiler cycles is very bad. It's a problem FF!! have to address.

Posted May 27, 2004 link

Mark, I'm curious... have you measured how much the pump pressure drops when the heating element kicks in?  

If I wait until the very top of the boiler cycle, I can pull about 3/4 of the shot on Valentina before the heating element goes on (its deadband is 0.2 bar).  The pump pressure may drop a little but not enough that I've noticed.  I definitely don't see a "pulse" in the pour itself as you described in your article.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
Ian
Ian

Espresso: Euro2000,Rancilio
Grinder: Mazzer,La Cimbali
Vac Pot: Cona-->CraigA
Drip: Belgique for emergencies
Roaster: Primas with variac
Posted Sat May 29, 2004, 1:37pm

HB Said:

If I wait until the very top of the boiler cycle, I can pull about 3/4 of the shot on Valentina before the heating element goes on (its deadband is 0.2 bar).  The pump pressure may drop a little but not enough that I've noticed.  I definitely don't see a "pulse" in the pour itself as you described in your article.

Posted May 29, 2004 link

I've not heard of this before. Is this true of all 110V machines?

I usually get two complete boiler cycles when pulling a shot and don't notice anything audibly or visually - I ought to plumb in a gauge to confirm it though.

www.videojug.com/film/how-to-behave-on-an-internet-forum
 View Profile Link to this post
HB

Posted Sat May 29, 2004, 2:28pm

Ian Said:

I've not heard of this before. Is this true of all 110V machines?

Posted May 29, 2004 link

The pressure drop?  I installed an external gauge but honestly I don't pay that close attention.  The pressure might move down a teenie-tiny bit.  At least for my machine, it's not a concern.  Your machine must have a pretty narrow deadband if it is cycling twice during a pull...

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
anyhowe

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Jun 24, 2004, 10:04pm

When I read this review and then read the comments and questions I know why I coughed up the $$ for my S9.

I am a bit surprised at the closeness of the first look reviews between the two.  It appears, to me anyway, that your review of the S9 is much more fav. yet with a 0.2 diff in the score?  Oh well, brew on.

Any timeline on the full review of the S9?

Thx
mrandall

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Francis Francis X1
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Krups AromaControl
Posted Mon Jul 26, 2004, 8:59pm
Subject: Drip tray cover

The drip tray is very shallow on this machine, and the cover plate on top of it tends to slide around a bit.

I found that putting some adhesive plastic bumps on the bottom fixed this. I placed them so that they go down through the hole in the metal shell and now the cover plate has no sideways movement. It's not the most elegant solution, but when the cover is in place you can't see.

mrandall: DSCF0107b.JPG
charlesaf3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi Mini II, Pasquini...
Grinder: Cimbali Max Hybrid, Rocky
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Tue Dec 14, 2004, 10:36pm

I had a number of X1s.  They all looked very cool.  I even managed to get quite good shots out of them, after extensive tweaking.  But their reliability was absurdly horrible.   Thank god williams sonoma was outstanding on taking them back, because they'd last a month or 2 before going belly up.  I wouldn't buy another one.

Oh, and the shape of the steam wand was really irritating.
BrorSalsa

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Francis Francis!! X3
Grinder: Braun CaféSelect KMM 30
Posted Fri Feb 4, 2005, 7:22am

Hey Mark!

When do we get the FF! X1 detailed review? I have the FF! X3 (wich I, by the way, think look much cooler than the FF! X1) and are quite interested in hearing your comparisons between the two machines.

- Anders
hopley

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: francisfrancis X1
Grinder: krupps
Drip: melita
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2005, 3:07pm

I am looking for my first "real" espresso maker and am taken by the retro look of the FrancisFrancis machines.  I went to the website and see that there is a CLASSIC and TRIO line.  Both feature an X-1 model.  I got some simple info from sales sales reps but would like to ask a more informed group.  I understand from the TRIO line that the TRIO allows you to crank the "filter holder" into three different positions to brew a long, normal, or ristretto espresso.  I understand that the X-1 allow pods or grounds.  First, is the CLASSIS a thing of the past and I should only consider the TRIO?  Second, the cup that I tasted with an Illy pod was not impressive and presume I would go the ground route? Lastly, am I foolish to make my first "real" espresso maker a FrancisFrancis?  Should I consider the old X-5 or should I be considering a Rancilio Silva (suggested by a retailer) or some other Brand/Product?  Thanks ~ d.e.hopley
Zgirl

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: FF 1x/R Silvia
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo/R Rocky
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2005, 3:24pm

hopley Said:

I am looking for my first "real" espresso maker and am taken by the retro look of the FrancisFrancis machines.  I went to the website and see that there is a CLASSIC and TRIO line.  Both feature an X-1 model.  I got some simple info from sales sales reps but would like to ask a more informed group.  I understand from the TRIO line that the TRIO allows you to crank the "filter holder" into three different positions to brew a long, normal, or ristretto espresso.  I understand that the X-1 allow pods or grounds.  First, is the CLASSIS a thing of the past and I should only consider the TRIO?  Second, the cup that I tasted with an Illy pod was not impressive and presume I would go the ground route? Lastly, am I foolish to make my first "real" espresso maker a FrancisFrancis?  Should I consider the old X-5 or should I be considering a Rancilio Silva (suggested by a retailer) or some other Brand/Product?  Thanks ~ d.e.hopley

Posted December 27, 2005 link

I'm checking out the website right now, I'm a FFx1 owner and love the styling of the machine, but there are a few things I don't like about it.  I don't like the boiler going on and off while you pull a shot and it audibly affecting the shot pulling.  The boiler light goes on for me around 4 seconds in, then at around 8, 12, + seconds in.  I may be a bit off on that but every shot has around 4-5 times the boiler is going on and affecting extration power.  The 2nd thing I don't care for is the position of the steam wand, it makes it difficult to steam milk well in a large pitcher.

I would personally not go with a Trio model because it appears that it only uses ESE pods (check out the text on the Trio main page that states: "The Trio system uses the E.S.E. (Easy Serving Espresso) single servings.") .  I have had some good shots from very fresh pods, but I like to be able to use ground (esp now that I have a nice grinder).   I would stick with the Classic model for the flexibility between ese pods (if you like) and ground.  

The X3 is, I believe, rated a lot higher here than the X1.  The steam wand on the X1 makes me cry, but if you don't want to make any milk drinks, that may not matter to you.  If I had it to do over, I'd probably get the X3 - I think. =)

On the holiday podcast, Mark had recommended the Espressione Cafe Retro machine (you can see it here: http://www.wholelattelove.com/Espressione/cafe_retro.cfm) as being similar to the style of an X1, somewhat the same internally but a better price.  You may want to listen to that full podcast anyhow (it's the most recent one, you can find it on iTunes) because he gives some good recommendations for multiple price points.

Remember that getting a really good grinder should be a priority too =)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Francis!...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285707950592)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+