Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
Author Messages
Unocorto

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 5:05pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine

Well, I have a new Ascaso I mini grinder. I don't weigh the grinds but fill the portafilter to the rim and tamp. No matter what I do, the coffee almost always tastes somewhat bitter and leaves a long-lasting unpleasant aftertaste.  I also make sure that the grinds that get stuck in the shoot are out so that old grinds don't affect my subsequent shot. I've tried different coffees with the best being Starbucks Colombian from which I probably only brewed a couple of really good cups. After that I was not able to replicate the taste again.  I have been following instructions to the letter steaming and then temperature surfing before brewing. I really prefer a somewhat mild but distinctly European tasting coffee and have been using the single basket for my lattes/cappuccinos. I've only just started timing my shots and the last couple seemed to flow fairly well with the single basket. I just tried brewing with the double basket for the first time and was surprised to see that with the same grind, the flow was way too fast. I used only one of the shots which tasted pretty weak with milk but still...... that aftertaste!!
 View Profile Link to this post
diggi
diggi

Espresso: Spaz vivaldi S1 V2
Grinder: B Vario, OE LIDO
Drip: Chemex, Espro Press,...
Roaster: Poppery I
Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 5:13pm

So hopefully someone chimes in with a 'standard' reply.  I'll fill in a bit of the basics for now before I sign out for the night.

Sounds like you need some fresh beans.  SBucks wouldn't qualify as they can't be any older than 2 weeks from the ROAST date (not date of opening bag).  You'll need a local roaster (which I use) or get some shipped online.  Many posts about great beans on this site. Most here would say that a medium roast is what you should be looking for (I like slightly darker, but probably nothing close to how dark SBucks roasts).
If running too fast, make your grind finer.  As starting point, a single should be 1oz in 25sec and double 2oz in 25 sec. (I personally like double 1.5oz in 30sec).
I think silvia does better if up-dosed. Standard dosing is 7g single and 14g double.  I like 18g double. Of course this would vary depending on bean.

I'd also start with the double basket....why not start here if the single basket has such a crap reputation.  Silvia is enough trouble anyway.
Unocorto

Posted Sun Jan 29, 2012, 5:42pm

OK - I appreciate your input.  I agree that Starbucks roasts very dark but this part of the country has very little to offer in terms of freshly roasted coffee.  Have a good night!
sandumarianconstantin

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Feb 2, 2012, 11:14pm

It is too bad that you do not have the opportunity to drink fresh bean coffe.I really love it .It is my favorite .:)
showing page 7 of 7 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.169836044312)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+