Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
alanfrew
alanfrew
Expertise: Professional

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 7:24pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine

1stline Said:

Mark,

I have skimmed through the Rancilio Silvia First Look and thought maybe you should confirm a few things:

a) Aluminum drip tray reference in picture - the latest models I have seen have a stainless steel drip tray, not aluminum.

b) Green pod adaptable sticker on box - We have received two shipments of Silvias of the new pod-adaptable versions, and there were no stickers on the boxes.

c) Portafilter - these are similar, but I believe they are different from the commercial Rancilio ones in that the spout is of a home design  - whereby one small cup can be placed under the two spouts.

Posted July 2, 2007 link

I <think> the new drip trays are some sort of coated pressed stainless steel; they don't feel like aluminium. My latest boxes were also sans the green stickers. The portafilters and baskets ARE standard commercial; spouts are an "add-on" item. You can spec your commercial machine with the same spouts as the domestic one or vice versa. See http://www.coffeeparts.com/car/car2.html , Coffeeparts item no. 511673. These spouts are also used on the latest Lelit machines, and various Ascaso portafilters.

The review machine is NOT the latest incarnation with the new boiler design, but I don't think that the new boilers will affect the performance.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 9:53pm

1stline Said:

Mark,

I have skimmed through the Rancilio Silvia First Look and thought maybe you should confirm a few things:

a) Aluminum drip tray reference in picture - the latest models I have seen have a stainless steel drip tray, not aluminum.

b) Green pod adaptable sticker on box - We have received two shipments of Silvias of the new pod-adaptable versions, and there were no stickers on the boxes.

c) Portafilter - these are similar, but I believe they are different from the commercial Rancilio ones in that the spout is of a home design  - whereby one small cup can be placed under the two spouts.

Posted July 2, 2007 link

a) In Seattle last week, I saw the most recent Silvia shipping, and it had a formed lightweight tray with the Rancilio Logo embossed into it. Definitely different from the heavyweight, welded steel box style that the older models (and the one I tested) has. I didn't look closely enough at it, but assume it's aluminum given the light weight and the embossed logo. I would imagine steel costs more to do this kind of forming.

b) The sticker's on my box, as per the photos. And anyway, it's a minor issue.

c) On the portafilter, I'm only going by what Rancilio NA told me direct, and what I saw at the show on their commercial machines. The portafilters are the same as the commercial ones - they can be ordered both with short and long spouts, and in one or two spout configurations, but regardless, the bulk of the PF is "standard" now across the product range. The reason I highlighted this in the article is that, in the past, the Silvia's PF choices were *not* usually the full commercial spec portafilters - now they are.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 10:00pm

alanfrew Said:

The review machine is NOT the latest incarnation with the new boiler design, but I don't think that the new boilers will affect the performance.

Posted July 2, 2007 link

Hey Alan.

I thought the Aussie (and Euro) spec Silvias had a different boiler setup - is this not the case?

I checked with Glenn at SCAA, and he said I have the latest model internally (current therm, boiler, opv), and the only recent change was the drip tray insert.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
alanfrew
alanfrew

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2007, 12:17am

MarkPrince Said:

Hey Alan.

I thought the Aussie (and Euro) spec Silvias had a different boiler setup - is this not the case?

I checked with Glenn at SCAA, and he said I have the latest model internally (current therm, boiler, opv), and the only recent change was the drip tray insert.

Mark

Posted July 2, 2007 link

New boiler looks like this. Old one is the one in your article photos.

Alan

alanfrew: boiler.jpg
(Click for larger image)
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2007, 1:45am

I can't spot the difference! ;) I have a bunch of photos of the boiler, I gotta take a look tomorrow.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
jsdp

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3, Rancilio...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, Rancilio...
Posted Tue Jul 3, 2007, 9:45am

See the following link for some more pics of the new and old boiler (at bottom of page).

http://www.coffeeco.com.au/newsletter/november2006.html

Is there a functional/performance difference between the two versions? If not, why the change?

Joe
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Jul 3, 2007, 5:52pm

Heads up folks. As of July 1, the Silvia's price went up (again) to $595 MAP pricing. Through Amazon, there's a few left at $545, but they'll no doubt be gone soon - vendors are pretty quick to point out to the supplier any other vendor selling below MAP.

The new price is going to play a role in the forthcoming Detailed Review.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
atao

Espresso: silvia, livietta
Posted Wed Jul 4, 2007, 6:02pm

I'm sure this's been considered, but i wasn't able to find any info on it:

In order to achieve better temp stability, instead of going through the trouble to PID the silvia, could you "just" install a better thermostat with a narrower deadband? Does a better thermostat exist, presumably, with a narrower deadband?

Or, how about relocating the thermostat to be closer to the heating element (are they lower on the boiler)?
Jen_Savage

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Jul 7, 2007, 7:58am

I really like what you did with the video and think you should do that with all of the reviews.
seasalt

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: HWP
Posted Sat Jul 7, 2007, 8:23pm

Just got mine last month at the lower price.  Beware of bad double baskets.  Apparently, a number of machines shipped with baskets that were less than 58 mm in diameter.  Call your supplier for a new one.

The video is great.  I was using the older RS temp surfing method and I'm not sure if it applies to the new machine.  I'm glad that you posted the video on your method for temp surfing.  It is much easier.

I know there are frothing videos on youtube, however it would be great to see your method.

Thanks!

Seasalt (chad)
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.252671957016)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+