Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Rancilio Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jun 28, 2007, 11:00pm
Subject: Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine

Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine

CoffeeGeek takes a long overdue First Look at the latest incarnation of that venerable home espresso machine iconery, the Rancilio Silvia. Not your normal kinda First Look!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tex
Tex

Espresso: Bunn ES-1A (PID'd), Gaggia...
Grinder: Rancilio MD50
Vac Pot: Way too many vintage Silex...
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: TurboCrazy &...
Posted Sat Jun 30, 2007, 9:56am
Subject: Re: Rancilio Silvia Espresso Machine

I've had two Silvia's (one PID'd & one stock) that I used for varying lengths of time and concluded that they do make a good enough cup of coffee.

For $550 one gets a good, solidly built & reliable, single boiler espresso machine that can be difficult to master, but with diligent effort one can eventually produce shots of good enough quality. But like any single boiler machine, temperature stability is lacking. You'll have to master temp surfing or add a PID if you want to move up to producing the highest quality shots.

Add a PID to the Silvia if you want to eliminate temp surfing. This is not a cheap alternative; $150 - $350 will buy a kit for the do-it-yourself wrench-head or a turn-key system installed for you. This will get you a temp-stable machine capable of pulling the much fabled God shot.

So here's my take on the Silvia. It's a good (no better than that) espresso machine for the home barista. It produces a shot of quality espresso that is as good as, though no better than, what can be made with other single boiler machines. Price-wise I'd put it at the upper limit of middle tier home espresso machines, along with Gaggia, Saeco, etc. If one adds a PID then the Silvia is put at the extreme high-end of the scale of mid-tier machines.

Would I own another Silvia, or recommend one to a friend? No, Yes, & Maybe. No, I'd never own another one - I've moved on to HX machines & find single boiler machines too limiting at my current skill level. Yes, I'd recommend one to a friend - maybe - if a used one was priced right (~$325) and in like-new condition. Otherwise my advice is to hold out for one of the low-end home HX machines, like a Nuova Simonelli Oscar, Expobar, etc., that will be capable of meeting your needs as your experience & expertise expands.

That's my take on the Rancilio Silvia, based on my experiences.

Tex: Coffee-Print-C10055428.jpeg
(Click for larger image)

Tex
--
http://www.tinyurl.com/mb4uj - My coffee pages.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2tnv87 - My 'Guidelines For Newbies' page.

http://www.tinyurl.com/2cr3e2 - I sell things for friends & neighbors here. Can I list something for you?

http://www.tinyurl.com/235dfr - BUG is Bunn User's Group (espresso)
 View Profile Link to this post
Champagne_Powder
Champagne_Powder
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: PID'ed Silvia V2
Grinder: Mazzer Super Jolly
Roaster: Suggestions welcome!
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2007, 7:00am

Cheers for this first look. Now i know for sure im going to sell that 8 yrs old silvia and buy a new one : Love the ovp (cant get my valve to bump out any lower than 12 bar :( ). And finally my stock E61 Bottomless portafilter will fit! (it just doesnt fit right on the old silvia. Pretty weird tho. Looking forward to the detailed review!
KanChan

Espresso: Gaggia Baby D
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2007, 7:12pm

Not sure if this is true. The only distributor in my country says that they no longer carried the Silvia because too many users returned the product. The reason is because they do not realised that the water reservior was empty and burnt the machine.

I have seen one Silvia in operation and the steam power is excellent. Made my Gaggia Baby D looked so pathetic.
But one great thing about the Gaggia is that you can see very well the water level.

How's the new Silvia? Anyway to know when to refill the water?

Cheers,
KanChan
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Jul 1, 2007, 7:17pm

Hi Kok,

Yes, take the black top off of the water reservior at the back of the machine & look inside. {;-D

CraigA: New Silvia.jpg
(Click for larger image)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169
http://plus.google.com/u/0/100690035958728038289/posts/p/pub

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2007, 11:34pm

KanChan Said:

Not sure if this is true. The only distributor in my country says that they no longer carried the Silvia because too many users returned the product. The reason is because they do not realised that the water reservior was empty and burnt the machine.

Posted July 1, 2007 link

While it's true that

a) the Silvia doesn't have autofill, and
b) it doesn't have any visual indicator of how much water is left unless you lift the reservoir lid off and peak

I gotta say, anytime I hear a vendor say "I don't carry xyz product any longer because it's got xyz problems", especially when it's a well respected product, I take what the vendor says with a grain of salt.

In many cases, vendors stop carrying *good* products not because of problems with the products, but because of problems with the people - ie, bad relationship between importer and distributor, bad importer, unresponsive importer, yada yada.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Sun Jul 1, 2007, 11:36pm

Hey folksies.

I did a rough and tumble video of the Silvia in action, including a quick and dirty tute on how to temperature surf the machine. Yep, I accidentally called "Kid-O" Black Cat in the middle. I was using Kid-O, which I find likes temps starting in the 202F range (BC is roasted pretty dark these days, and seems to like temps down around 198 or so).

Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhxvDusY3jk

Also edited into the First Look.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
KanChan

Espresso: Gaggia Baby D
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 4:59am

MarkPrince Said:

While it's true that

a) the Silvia doesn't have autofill, and
b) it doesn't have any visual indicator of how much water is left unless you lift the reservoir lid off and peak

I gotta say, anytime I hear a vendor say "I don't carry xyz product any longer because it's got xyz problems", especially when it's a well respected product, I take what the vendor says with a grain of salt.

In many cases, vendors stop carrying *good* products not because of problems with the products, but because of problems with the people - ie, bad relationship between importer and distributor, bad importer, unresponsive importer, yada yada.

Mark

Posted July 1, 2007 link

You are of course right on these matters. The vendor says that due to "user problems", cannot really expect Rancilio to replace the parts. At the same  time, cannot fulfill customer satisfaction.

Sigh... I'll just have to get the best out of my Gaggia.

Cheers.
1stline
1stline

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 3:40pm

Mark,

I have skimmed through the Rancilio Silvia First Look and thought maybe you should confirm a few things:

a) Aluminum drip tray reference in picture - the latest models I have seen have a stainless steel drip tray, not aluminum.

b) Green pod adaptable sticker on box - We have received two shipments of Silvias of the new pod-adaptable versions, and there were no stickers on the boxes.

c) Portafilter - these are similar, but I believe they are different from the commercial Rancilio ones in that the spout is of a home design  - whereby one small cup can be placed under the two spouts.

Sincerely,
Jim Piccinich
Business Partner
1st-line Equipment, LLC
www.1st-line.com

Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/1stline
Twitter: http://twitter.com/1stline
Blog: http://1st-line.blogspot.com/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/1stlineespresso
jsdp

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3, Rancilio...
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC, Rancilio...
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 4:51pm

Great job with your first look on the new Rancilio Silvia.

I just realized that you added a video to your review and I think it is a great addition. It helps visualize the product in use as well as address the process of temp surfing, pulling a shot, cleaning, etc. specific to Silvia.

I appreciate your efforts and anxiously look forward to your detailed review (along with videos, hopefully).

Joe
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Rancilio Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.272159099579)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+