Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Krups FMF5 Auto Drip Coffee Brewer
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Krups FMF5 Auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 29, 2007, 11:00pm
Subject: Krups FMF5 Auto Drip Coffee Brewer

Krups FMF5 Auto Drip Coffee Brewer

We take an overview look at the latest line of Krups auto drip coffee makers, and even through in some editorial along the way - our first look at the Krups FMF5 thermal auto drip!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dooglas
Dooglas
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Vibiemme Junior
Grinder: Vario, Virtuoso
Drip: Bonavita, Bodum press
Roaster: GeneCafe, Behmor
Posted Sun May 6, 2007, 8:45am
Subject: Re: Krups FMF5 Auto Drip Coffee Brewer

Hmm. I was tantalized and unsatisfied when I read through the First look on the FMF5 and found nothing about water temperature. I know - wait for the Quickshot. The problem is that First looks, Quickshots, and Detailed reviews somewhat overlap each other in concept and practice. Also, a quick look through past reviews shows that very few (any?) products make it through the three different levels of review. We usually get one look - at whatever depth. Okay, I got it off my chest, now I'll wait patiently for the Quickshot to find out the brew temperature of the machine.
 View Profile Link to this post
farmroast
farmroast

Espresso: Strega,Cremina, MCAL...
Grinder: Majors, Dienes
Vac Pot: Hellem10
Drip: CCD, and more
Roaster: 1kg. DreamRoast
Posted Sun May 6, 2007, 11:39am

Dooglas Said:

Hmm. I was tantalized and unsatisfied when I read through the First look on the FMF5 and found nothing about water temperature. I know - wait for the Quickshot. The problem is that First looks, Quickshots, and Detailed reviews somewhat overlap each other in concept and practice. Also, a quick look through past reviews shows that very few (any?) products make it through the three different levels of review. We usually get one look - at whatever depth. Okay, I got it off my chest, now I'll wait patiently for the Quickshot to find out the brew temperature of the machine.

Posted May 6, 2007 link

It's all about temp, time and dispersion before I can be tempted further. Light roasts and hard beans seem to demand it.

Ed Bourgeois... LMWDP #167
please visit my blog
http://coffee-roasting.blogspot.com/
Chimo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Starbucks Barista Athena
Grinder: Starbucks Burr
Drip: Krups FMF 5
Posted Mon Jul 16, 2007, 2:35pm

I picked the FMF 5 up last night.  I checked the water temperature from under the stream with the thermocouple (Fluke 51) under the stream just slightly submerged in the basket.  The temperature was 192.4 deg F.

My wife and I like the coffee that this produces.  I would like to have a setting that would shut off the burner after the brew has completed (I have the insulated carafe model) rather than 20 minutes later.  Does the longer heating cycle help reduce the scale buildup?

Paul
dmura

Espresso: Rancilio Silva
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Krups FMF5
Posted Thu Aug 9, 2007, 4:31am

Help..I cannot get this right.I had a krups aroma brew which worked fine.Then I had to replace it.I made the mistake of gerring a cusinart 12 cup thermal which has a design flaw in that if the basket which holds the filter isnt exactly in place ,you will have a mess.DONT BUY THIS MACHINE! I took and back and exchanged it for a Krups FMF5 thermal.Krups says to use 1 tablespoon per cup.Intelligentsia says 2,which I have been
doing before.However Im getting that sour taste at the back of the tongue.THe first pot seemed over extracted and sour. I use a rancillio rocky grinder and the krups gold filter with Fiji water.Any Suggestions?

John
DigMe

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser,...
Grinder: Super Jolly, Mazzer Mini,...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Capresso ST600, Presto...
Roaster: Behmor, SC/CO, Poppery I,...
Posted Tue Nov 27, 2007, 2:05pm

QuickShot review WILL be coming - free espresso cups to all if I donít have this posted within, letís say, three four months! Max!

Alright, Prince....GIMME MY CUPS!!!

Seriously though...all I REALLY want to know about are the brew temps.  I'm looking for a new coffeemaker for our place out in the country.

brad

ch-ch-ch-ch-ch
dpfels

Espresso: ECM Giotto
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 8:34am

Hi,
What's up with the full review on this?  I would love to know how it stacks up next to the Capresso MT500 for water temperature and other features.

Is the final review planned any time soon?

Thanks,
Dan
soliant

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2008, 1:09pm

Where's my free espresso cup, it was april 07 when you said 4 months. max, its now jan. 08, hmmm... seems like your past *your* proposed deadline.
mnorrisut

Posted Wed Mar 12, 2008, 5:55am

I have had this coffee maker for 4 months now and am going to throw it away. There is a fundamental design flaw in the water level indicator.  If you don't mind measuing the amount of water seperately then this machine is fine.  Since the stainless carafe can't be used to measure water you must have another measuring device.  The water mark tube is extremely inaccurate resulting in wild swings in the amount of water that goes into the machine. A definite pass on this machine.
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009, 1:52am

I mainly wrote this verbage for the Ascaso Steel Duo and the Rancilio Silvia "First Looks' but it applies here as well.

My raw data for testing the Krups FMF5 is done, but I was planning to have this as one of the launch "QuickShot Reviews" for the new CoffeeGeek site, but since the ETA on that is still at least 3 months away, and possibly longer, I'm toying with the idea of publishing it sooner.

The problem is, if I do that, I'll have to write up two complete Quickshot Reviews - the new website's new Quickshot Review format is going to be different from the current one. We have an archive system in place for older Reviews, but I'm hesitant to write a new one right now, knowing that things will be changing somewhat.

I'm looking for feedback here. My obvious preference is to a) post some updated comments in this thread, and b) post the QuickShot with the new website. But if there's an overwhelming demand for the full review NOW, I'll get working on that.

So, which can you "settle' for when it comes to this brewer? ;) I'll be posting this in a few other First Look threads as well but I look forward to your response on all the posts.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Krups FMF5 Auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.282429933548)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+