Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Capresso ST600 Coffee Maker
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso ST600...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Dec 5, 2006, 12:00am
Subject: Capresso ST600 Coffee Maker

Capresso ST600 Coffee Maker

We take a first gander and product walk through of one of the latest coffee brewers from Capresso - the definitely art deco ST600 Thermal coffee brewer.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Taming

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezerra BZ02A
Grinder: Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Krups Moka Brew
Roaster: Bread Machine/Heat Gun &IR2
Posted Tue Dec 5, 2006, 5:29pm
Subject: Re: Capresso ST600 Coffee Maker

Nice first look, Mark. I do wonder though how you would compare it to the Technivorm, at about the same price?

Vicki

~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!~!
         site: http://www.coffeecrone.com            
         weblog: http://taming.motime.com
 roaster mods: http://roastingcoffee.googlepages.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2006, 6:56pm

The lab technivorm has been gone since early 2005, so I can't put them head to head (though I still do have all the technivorm's temperature data on the hard drive). I'll be comparing this brewer to

a) Melitta Clarity
b) Krups FMF5
c) Bosch Coffee Maker
d) Capresso MT500
e) Maybe the Capresso CoffeeTEAM Therm

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Dec 11, 2006, 5:17pm

I got a few emails about this first look (hey, next time, post here instead - that's why each first look and review gets a forum thread! ) specifically about the height of the unit. People seem to think it's taller than it actually is, and me calling the brew part a "tower" doesn't help I guess.

Here's a side by side photo with a Krups machine to give you a better idea on the size.

Mark

MarkPrince: compare2.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Blazer

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Dec 13, 2006, 8:44am

Does the ST600 have the same stainless steel lined heating system to keep aluminum out of the water path? Here's the bullet from their website on the MT500 page:

"Unique stainless steel-lined heating system eliminates water contact with aluminum and reduces the need for decalcifying."

This bullet does not appear on the page for the ST600.
 View Profile Link to this post
Blazer

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2006, 1:31pm

I e-mailed Capresso with this question and just received the following response:

"The ST600 does not have a stainless steel heating system."

"CAPRESSO Online"

I feel that is a pretty good feature of the MT500, so I'm going to buy that one over the ST600.
stickman

Espresso: gaggia classic, gaggia...
Grinder: mazzer mini, capresso...
Drip: capresso ST600
Roaster: sc/to,iroast2, freshroast+8
Posted Sat Apr 28, 2007, 1:46pm

Got my ST600 up and running this morning all i can say is that it looks and works awesome....very hot coffee that seems to extract the beans fantasticly........had some fresh roasted Guatimalen organic that had been degassing for 2 days.....the instructions say 1 of there scoops of ground coffee per cup of brew....my opinion not enough.......I use 12 scoops per 10 cups nice and full body

very satisfied

stick
happycamper007

Posted Tue May 1, 2007, 12:08pm

yes its always important to put diminsions in the discribtion
AddiePi

Posted Mon Jun 25, 2007, 5:07pm

Hi there, I was wondering if there was a more in depth performance review on the st600? I'm shopping for a new coffee maker for my dad for x-mas and I've kinda narrowed it down to the st600 and the newco osc8 (read the consumer reviews) or possibly the osc8a (I think it has a fancier pause and pour thing which isn't really necessary since it only takes about 7 minutes to brew).

Any comparisons or extra info you have about those two would be greatly appreciated. His current coffee maker is a thermal carafe that brews through the lid but he has had a lot of problems with the brew-through lid. It keeps getting clogged and is nearly impossible to clean out. I'm a bit lost and I want to know my stuff before showing him what I've found (even though it's a gift I have to show it to him ahead of time, it is going to be his and I don't want him to get stuck using a coffee maker that he doesn't like just so I'll feel good about it).

Thanks,
Addie
gteague
gteague

Espresso: silvia (pid)
Grinder: mazzer mini
Vac Pot: aeropress
Drip: capresso st600
Roaster: freshroast 8
Posted Wed Oct 17, 2007, 9:27pm

i've been casually checking on drip coffeemakers to complete my 'trifecta' of silvia and aeropress. the last one i owned was a starbucks barista quatro--a bare-bones 4-cup model they used to sell--and which model i used for 3-5 years although i admit i went through 3 of 'em in that time. making 4 cups at a time you tend to use them more often i guess. but they would put them on sale at least once a year for a very attractive price. and they brewed at a temperature of at least 195deg.

anyway, while cruising amazon and considering the zojirushi, i noticed they had the capresso st600 for $99. i don't much care for the size, but it does have a 4-cup mode, a thermal carafe, a filter, a timer and, at that price, was at least $50 under what i was willing to pay. and, according to the 1st-look, a 200deg brew temp. and the timer wasn't a selling point, but perhaps i'll try using it to brew up a thermos to take to work--i don't have to bring perfect cofee to beat what they supply! anyway, just search for 'st600' on amazon and you should find it if interested, it was still listed at that price when i checked just now.

sure wish the first look had expanded into a real review (i'm still waiting for a review of the silvia also) but that sure seems like an attractive price as the lowest i can find at any of the usual espresso sites is $169.

anyone know why amazon would drop the price this low? there are some bad reviews on amazon, but i know with these units which brew directly into an attached carafe, there's always those who have problems getting a seal. if anyone would care to share their experience or tips on this machine that would be great.

/guy

We were somewhere around the Withywindle on the edge of the Old Forest when the drugs began to take hold. --Hunter S. Tolkien
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso ST600...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.269064903259)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+