Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Capresso CoffeeTEAM Therm
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
keithrt

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 16, 2007, 4:34pm
Subject: Re: Capresso CoffeeTEAM Therm

Just an update; I ground off the finger guard and found that the coffee beans feed into the grinder perfectly now.

Keith
 View Profile Link to this post
andywyoming

Posted Thu Oct 4, 2007, 11:47am

I am having a similar problem as Keith in that a  dark roast bean does not fall by gravity. Capresso told me to leave the beans out overnight. I am reluctant to grin finger guard as I do not believe it will grind enough for a full 10 cups of strong coffee--the bean cup seems too small. I am tempted to return and get grinder and maker. The problem is that I then will not have fresh coffee when I wake up. Andy great solutions?? Andy
Grinner

Posted Sun Dec 2, 2007, 12:40pm

I've been using grind/brew systems for decades, my first being the Toshiba (which I really liked).  I'm not the aficionado that some are, for instance I prefer medium strength coffee.  So I can make a full pot of coffee with this product without thinking it too weak.  I do like the conical grinder and have notice the difference between it and the other systems.  In general I really like this system but  have seen some of the problems others have written about.  I've had this system since May (07) and have had 2 experiences with the coffee all over the counter issue.  In both cases it was my fault.  The first time I forgot to put the carafe in the system.  Yeah, I know...  The second I forgot the filter (I am using the mesh filter that came with the system).  I had the other components but not the filter.  That wasn't quite as big of a mess since a reasonable amount of water made it into the carafe.  It would be nice if there were some kind of sensor to determine overflow.

I've found that the carafe does not pour well unless you have the "dot" right in the middle of the spout.  In addition if you tilt the carafe too far forward during the pour some can come out the top hole and possibly spill.  These are little items but perhaps worth noting.  For a while after getting the system I had problems with the first pour.  I finally noticed that the carafe was almost overflowing after I brewed a 10 cup pot.  I then discovered that the graduations on the water reservoir did not match the carafe size.  I guess with plastic you could expect that but I'd never run into this issue with other systems.

One thing I like about this system is that it's fairly easy to make second pots.  That's something I hated about the Cusinart products.  You had to make sure that every component was absolutely dry or it wouldn't work.  And the pause and serve works relatively well (unlike the Melittas that for some reason have the entire brew/serve portion open so that if even with the spring loaded lock, if you remove the carafe for more then a couple seconds, it spills over).  Hopefully this unit won't prove as brittle as the Melittas.  It's been good for half a year though I'm worried about the spring losing tension and thus not kicking into place.

A couple other quick notes.  First after brewing I almost always find some water that has run down the side of the carafe into the base.  I assume this is condensation from the top.  The other is that while the carafe works very well in keeping the coffee warm (hot) it has the same problem as all metal/plastic carafes that I've seen.  I.e. liquid can easily get between the metal and plastic and will then leak out during pours, etc.  This makes them more difficult to clean then should be the case.

Hope this is helpful.

Greg
Moose777

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2007, 11:31pm

After reading all of the similar design problems reported both here and from reviews at Amazon.com I decided not to but this machine. It's a shame because on the surface it sounds really good.
I must have read 5 different people describe that coffee spilling problem and for this kind of money I'm going to keep looking.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
vernonbishop
vernonbishop
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: KitchenAid KPES100NP
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky w/doser
Vac Pot: Bonjour French Press
Drip: Capresso
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jan 18, 2008, 7:35pm

This is the type of machine that I would buy, if money were no object, I think that the coffee out of a gourmet coffee maker is a lot better than the coffee out of a standard machine.

I have gotten a taste of this when I got my new coffee maker for Christmas, however, there is more promise out there if there were more money that I could put on the table.

However, I like my new machine, and I would not trade it for the world.

VB  :-)
eddo3

Posted Thu Feb 28, 2008, 9:19am

From the 3rd paragraph:
"This machine has the potential to have it all - from a well designed thermal carafe, to a built in conical burr grinder (thereís only two conical burr coffee machine / grinder combinations on the market today, and Capresso makes both), to a very unique and stylistic design, itís possible this could be the ultimate espresso machine."

I'm new here - haven't seen a followup and was wondering if at this later date you still thought it was possibly the "ultimate espresso machine."

Thanks!
Ed
PBC

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Gaggia MDF & Breville...
Posted Sun Aug 24, 2008, 2:03pm

So, was a more formal review of this machine ever completed? I can't find it?  Also, what is the height of this machine?  Need something that will be no greater than 15" unfortunately (which rules out the Cuisinart 900 series).

Thanks,

Steve
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Feb 13, 2009, 2:53am

I mainly wrote this verbage for the Ascaso Steel Duo and the Rancilio Silvia "First Looks' but it applies here as well.

My raw data for testing the Capresso CoffeeTEAM Therm is done, but I was planning to have this as one of the launch "QuickShot Reviews" for the new CoffeeGeek site, but since the ETA on that is still at least 3 months away, and possibly longer, I'm toying with the idea of publishing it sooner.

The problem is, if I do that, I'll have to write up two complete Quickshot Reviews - the new website's new Quickshot Review format is going to be different from the current one. We have an archive system in place for older Reviews, but I'm hesitant to write a new one right now, knowing that things will be changing somewhat.

I'm looking for feedback here. My obvious preference is to a) post some updated comments in this thread, and b) post the QuickShot with the new website. But if there's an overwhelming demand for the full review NOW, I'll get working on that.

So, which can you "settle' for when it comes to this brewer/grinder combo? ;) I'll be posting this in a few other First Look threads as well but I look forward to your response on all the posts.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PBC

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Gaggia MDF & Breville...
Posted Mon Feb 16, 2009, 6:17pm

I'd say go ahead and post in this thread, unless swithing to the new format would mainly consist of cut and paste into another document with some tweaks.

But I'd imagine if it were that simple, you'd have done that already!

Ended up buying a grinder that I dedicate to drip coffee anyhow, figured that was the best option!
groomcreek
groomcreek
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1
Grinder: Macap
Posted Wed Feb 25, 2009, 12:05pm

MarkPrince Said:

I'm looking for feedback here. My obvious preference is to a) post some updated comments in this thread, and b) post the QuickShot with the new website. But if there's an overwhelming demand for the full review NOW, I'll get working on that. Mark

Posted February 13, 2009 link

I read your First Look and searched, unsuccessfully, for a follow-up review. I didn't see this thread until I already ordered this machine yesterday. I'd love to hear more feedback on this machine - even though I've already ordered.

I have an excellent espresso setup and enough experience to pull great shots, but, if my wife's up for a 4:00 AM workout before taking the kids to school, she wants her morning coffee waiting. So, on impulse I bought a Cuisinart Grind & Brew at Costco. Needless to say, it has been returned because the coffee is unpalatable!

Fully realizing that the Capresso CoffeeTEAM Therm is not going to produce the perfect cup of coffee - I believe it will come the closest of ANY preset timer unit on the market.

I'll be able to report my experience with this machine next week.

- Derek
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.231605052948)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+