Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Jura Capresso S9
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Jura Capresso S9  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JackS
JackS
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Capresso C1500, Ascaso Dream
Grinder: Gaddia MDF
Posted Wed Mar 17, 2004, 12:16pm
Subject: Re: grind adjustability

Suds Said:

As an aside, I know that the grinders of the Capresso C1000, C1500, Krups Orchestro models can be tweeked to produce a finer grind.  The procedure is simple, but does involve opening the top of the machine (potentially voiding your warranty) and I would imagine that the same could be done on the new F or S lines.  If anyone would like the detailed instructions, let me know and I'll post them here.  After the "mod" I can choke my C1500 on the finest setting, get around a 20-25 second 2oz pull on the second or third finest setting, dependant on coffee being used.  And I find that a setting slightly coarser than the middle works great for cafe crema, which my wife enjoys.  Thanks for the great site Mark, and keep up the good work.

Posted January 27, 2004 link

Would love to hear how you tweeked the C1500. Please post your directions.
 View Profile Link to this post
Suds
Suds
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Control
Grinder: Gaggia MDF,Anfim, Maestro
Vac Pot: not yet
Drip: no - Bodum Press Pot
Roaster: Alpenrost
Posted Wed Mar 17, 2004, 1:13pm

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I ended up returning my C1500 to get back to making espresso traditionally.  Although I was able to grind was fine enough, I was likely only seeing 8-10 grams make the brew unit - since the portion control is set by a timer, which was too big of a drawback for me.  

If you still want to experiment - here is the link I used as a guide to open up & adjust the C1500:

Click Here (famille.volant.free.fr)
cinergi

Espresso: Synesso Cyncra
Grinder: Versalab M3
Posted Wed Mar 31, 2004, 5:35pm
Subject: Re: frothing

I just purchased the S9 and am having problems frothing milk. With my old machine (Saeco Magic Comfort+) all I had to do is place the steam wand close to the bottom of the milk and leave it there until the milk reached 160 degrees. This method does not work with the S9. If I leave the wand in the up position no froth is produced. If I leave it in the down position huge bubbles are produced.

What is the best method of frothing milk using the s9's dual steam wand?
trikerider

Espresso: Jura Capresso S9
Posted Mon Apr 19, 2004, 8:12am
Subject: Re: Jura Capresso S9

Augeas Said:

Great first look article.

. . . . Is creating the ideal expresso possible with the S9?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted February 1, 2004 link

We've had our S9 now for about 6 months.  I went through about 2 lbs of beans the first day while experimenting and then another 2 to 3 lbs of beans within a couple of weeks after that.  We thought we had it just about right and we were enjoying pretty darn good espressos for the two of us at about 2lbs of beans per month.  But then I started playing around again (hey, I'm a geek) and I really think I've got it - for the single, small cup of espresso button, that is.

Set the grinder to the finest setting (Peet's coffee, French Roast)
Set the amount of powder to maximum
Set the amount of water to 1/2 (the default setting provides two+ shots of espresso which is too diluted for my tastes)
Set the temp to maximum
IMPORTANT: Don't drink the first shot after the rinse.  This is important, as there's still a lot of water in the pipes.  Throw the first shot out and the rest - for as long as the machine stays on - will be quite good.  We have a Starbucks as well as a couple of other local coffee shops in our downtown area - within a 10-minute walk from our house.   I honestly think our S9 now produces espresso that is noticeably better than the espresso produced in our local coffee specialty shops.

I would like very much to see how the S9 grinder can be modified to produce a finer grind.

Other things:

1.) cup warmer either doesn't work or they like their cups at room temperature in Sweden.  In our house, the only reasonable place to locate the S9 is in the corner of the kitchen counter, next to the stove, under one of the overhead cabinets.  Because of this, there really isn't enough space left above the S9 and below the bottom of the overhead cabinets to place cups on the S9's cup warmer anyway so it really doesn't matter.  If we had a much bigger kitchen, it would be kind of cool to have a feature like this that actually worked but even then, it's not the big of a deal.

2.) the coffee bean hopper contains this little triangle thingy over the grinder.  I'm not really sure what the point of it is but the result of leaving it installed is that it creates bean-jams that require you to stir up the beans in the hopper every other shot in order for the beans to fall through.  The fix is easy enough, though.   Remove the little bean-jam thingy and put the two screws back in place.  No more bean-jams.  Future modifications for the S9 should include a bigger hopper with steeper walls that ensure that all the beans go down the chute - if they want to keep that bean-jam thingy in place.  (Seriously, though - what's that goofy thing for, anyway?)

3.) The auto-frother, milk container thingy seems to work as advertised.  We like it and we’re glad we have it.  We do it manually for ourselves but when we have dinner guests, the auto-frother, milk container thingy is great.

Questions I've been meaning to ask Jura but haven't gotten around to yet:

1.) What is the actual difference between the small single, the small double, the large single, and the large double shot options?

It seems like there's just more water coming through (between the single and double versions of each) - which would be pretty weird so that can't be right.  I'd like to know - very specifically - what the algorithm is that differentiates these options.  You'd think it would be double whatever settings you programmed for the single option, right?  It doesn't "taste" like that's what's happening.  In fact, pressing the small single option twice produces two full shots of better quality espresso than using the small single double shot option.  This is totally counter-intuitive so some insight would be great - I just have to get around to asking them.  (I guess that’s just 1 question)

Finally,

I've had shots from industrial-strength, fully automated espresso machines that I can only assume are supposed to be very high quality machines - like those you sometimes find available for guest use at finer hotels.   With the current settings we’re using for the small, single shot of espresso, our S9 easily rivals, if not makes better, espresso than those machines.  We recently stayed in Tuscany for 3 weeks and our S9 does not produce that kind of espresso quality.  However, it makes shots that are better then what we can get locally and it definitely makes better espresso than “we” were able to make with our manual or semi-automatic machines . . . . . And with much less mess and/or hassle.

We don't use the "coffee" option but our parents do.  We spent some time with each to adjust the settings for their tastes and they genuinely seem to like it.  No opinions here but the parents are happy with the quality so we are as well.

If I should arrive home tonight and find my beloved S9 gone, I would order another one, just like it, as soon as I could boot up my computer.

#490 (That's way more than I thought I was going to say so that should be more than enough.)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
trikerider

Espresso: Jura Capresso S9
Posted Mon Apr 19, 2004, 9:09am

Suds Said:

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I ended up returning my C1500 to get back to making espresso traditionally.  Although I was able to grind was fine enough, I was likely only seeing 8-10 grams make the brew unit - since the portion control is set by a timer, which was too big of a drawback for me.  

If you still want to experiment - here is the link I used as a guide to open up & adjust the C1500:

Click Here (famille.volant.free.fr)

Posted March 17, 2004 link

From the link at step 9 where the author says, "9.Now you can shift the grinder setting", is like saying to a guy who wants to tune the engine in his car . . . just open up the hood, remove the air filter, the injector hoses, ignition wires . . . . now just tune the engine.

;)

Any additional notes on how one actually performs the adjustment to the grinder settings would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

lalisa

Posted Sat Sep 11, 2004, 11:15pm

I bought my S9 about 2 weeks ago, the coffee was great at frist, now it seems to be watered down.  I am using the 2 cup espresso button twice to make a cup of coffee  Does anyone know how to fix this problem.  Customer service is great but they want me to package it up and send it back east..I am worried if I do that it will break and i will be out $2100...any tips?  I tired to clean out the grinder, wipe off my beans, which ar Graffeo and sort of oily..but it still doesn't seem to be helping..thanks for any support you can give...
duvell

Posted Sun Sep 26, 2004, 12:15pm

I found your first look review of the Jura S9 quite informative.

I have owned an S90 for several years and while I have been generally satisfied with it I do have some serious issues with the design and the amount of serviceing required.  From comments of other owners on other sites, I beleive there is an inherent flaw in the design.  The machine has trouble clearing the spent grounds and clogs as a result.  This is despite using additional rinse cycles after use and cleaning far more frequently than is specified.  The only solution offered by Jura is the advice to use a coarser grind and a less oily bean.  That does seem to help lessen the clogging but at the cost of lousy, watery espresso.

I am hoping this problem was addressed and corrected in the newer Jura models.  I am growing impatient waiting to read your full review of the S9.

In the original first look review you said a full review would follow in about six months.  It has been nearly ten months since the first look was posted.  I am not complaining, and trying not to whine and stamp my feet, but can you give us some idea of when we can expect the followup review?

If a full review is not on the horizon, how about some comments and impressions of maintinance?  Have you had any issues with clogging or reduced flow?  Have you experienced any water leaking, or had to replace any gaskets?  Have you required any other service other than the routine user maintance of cleaning, replacing filters, descaling etc?

Any additional info would certainly be appreciated!

duvell,
Austin, TX
Carmelina

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Oct 12, 2004, 12:26am
Subject: Re: Update on frothXpress Plus' ability to produce froth.

MarkPrince Said:

I've since resolved the "no froth" issue with the frothXpress Plus gizmo. I soaked the entire thing in Urnex Rinza (probably an overboard solution) for 15 mins. The result was I discoloured the aluminum portion of the frothXpress device, BUT... I'm getting copious froth now.

Check out the photo - this is the normal froth I'm getting from the frothXpress. Bottom line - make sure it's clean. You probably don't (and shouldn't) do what I did - the big soak in something that doesn't like aluminum; a soak in boiling water and a big flush with a jet sprayer from your sink should do, if you have frothing problems.

Posted December 5, 2003 link

If you clean your profi auto frother with the Jura auto-cappuccino cleaner and use a small "milk cleaning brush" you will clear any deposits and have great froth without discolouring the inox polish on the profi auto frother.  

The urnex rinza contains too strong a chemical agent for Jura equipment.
ggb

Espresso: Jura S8
Posted Mon Oct 25, 2004, 4:10pm

My wife fell for the S-8 machine at Williams Sonoma, so we now own one.  It lacks the Froth-Express attachment.

I prefer the coffee it makes to Starbucks, which can be very hit-or-miss.  We usually use Starbucks coffee, either Espresso roast or one of their specialty coffees in the machine.  My wife drinks only decaf for health reasons, but the machine makes an adequate cup of decaf coffee.

After about 2 to 3 months of everyday use and one scheduled cleaning the frother started blowing off during use.  We talked to the Jura-Capresso people several times and went through several cleaning gyrations.  It was very disconcerting to have the wand blow off under steam pressure and spray steam and milk everywhere.  Eventually, Capresso sent us another wand.  My wife still uses it to make her one cup of latte or capuccino, frothing for 15-20 seconds and it works for her.  I tried to do a larger amount of milk for a longer period and guess what, it blew off again.  Now I have a $2,000 coffee maker, albeit a very good one.  I also use it for espresso sometimes after dinner.

My wife says I have "froth fear".  Ha ha, very funny.  If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening.
anyhowe

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Thu Oct 28, 2004, 9:40pm

I had the same problem.  It was caused, for us, by the wearing of the ring that holds the wand in place.  The reason it wears is the frequent removal and replacement of the wand for cleaning.  After talking to the Capresso folks for a while I fugured out that the proper way to clean is NOT to remove the wand but to  unscrew the lower "tip" and clean the two pieces that come off and wipe down the wand.  They sent me a new wand (no charge) and I have had no problems since.  I use my spare tip when I remove the other for cleaning.

good luck.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Jura Capresso S9  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285185098648)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+