Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Ascaso Steel Duo Espresso Machine
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Ascaso Steel Duo...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
CrackAddict

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar
Grinder: Minoka
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Mon Feb 19, 2007, 4:42pm
Subject: Re: Ascaso Steel Duo Espresso Machine

I owned one of these machines a while ago (230V model "Steel") and while a nice design I was not happy with its overall performance. I gave it to a friend and got a Bezzera 99 (Pasquini Livia 90 clone) instead. While not a bad machine, I prefer caps and the steaming was weak. I also found it didn't have adequate pump pressure to produce a shot I liked - I had to back off on the grind or it just sat there and nothing came out the spout. BTW - the included pressure gauge vibrated so wildly in use it was illegible on the one I had. This company seems to make a large number of variations on the same platform. Mine was single boiler plus thermoblock. Their website (when I looked) was very difficult to navigate and compare. One minor problem with the machine was that the button for steam would stick leaving the machine in limbo - no pump and no steam. Pressing it repeatedly would eventually free it. I was at the friend's house recently and the Steel was not working. He hadn't used it much, but he had never cleaned it and the buildup on the screen was enough that even commercial (Illy) grind coffee couldn't be used - no output. A good clean and it worked again - but not well. Maybe the pump is weak or defective.
 View Profile Link to this post
atao

Espresso: silvia, livietta
Posted Mon Jul 2, 2007, 10:14pm

Would be great to hear any new tidbits of info that are available for this machine. Brew temps? Temp stability? I hear that the thermocouple is actually inside the boiler, which i'd hope would lead to a narrower deadband.
WelshDog

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Aeropress
Grinder: OE Lido
Posted Wed Jul 4, 2007, 2:33pm

Any word on when the detailed review will be ready?  I borrowed an ancient and pathetic Oster Espresso machine from my Dad a month ago and now I'm ready to move up.  The new improved Silvia seems like a good choice, but this machine appeals to me as well.  I like the idea of a separate steaming thermoblock and pump.

Thanks!
kevski

Espresso: Ascaso Steel duo pm prof
Grinder: Quick Mill Apollo
Posted Tue Oct 2, 2007, 7:02am

I have just acquired an Ascaso Steel Duo (duo pm prof)  - it differs slightly from the one reviewed here in that it has a much heavier chromed brass grouphead - which helps to keep the coffee warm. It's a beautiful machine - I use a Quick Mill for the grinds and after a couple of test runs - managed to make the best espressos I have tasted in some time - excellent cups with nice cremas and do this consistently each time!
Brewse
Brewse

Espresso: none yet
Grinder: KA Proline
Vac Pot: {really want a Royal!}
Drip: KA Proline
Roaster: none yet
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:16am

kevski Said:

I have just acquired an Ascaso Steel Duo (duo pm prof)  - it differs slightly from the one reviewed here in that it has a much heavier chromed brass grouphead - which helps to keep the coffee warm. It's a beautiful machine - I use a Quick Mill for the grinds and after a couple of test runs - managed to make the best espressos I have tasted in some time - excellent cups with nice cremas and do this consistently each time!

Posted October 2, 2007 link

What size tamper do you use?   I just ordered the Steel Duo pm prof, and would like to get a Reg Barber tamper - but want to be sure to get the right size.  The review says 57mm, even though Ascaso says 58 - but the Duo Prof has a bigger portafilter, yes?
iZappa
iZappa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Anfim Haus, Ascaso i-2,...
Drip: French press will do
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Fri Nov 16, 2007, 10:27am

The Duo Prof has a 58mm portafilter!

Let's make the water turn black
kevski

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2007, 2:22pm

Sorry about the delay in replying - I use a 57mm tamper and it works just fine. The plastic tamper supplied by Ascaso with the machine is also 57mm. The portafilter is indeed 58mm - but a 58mm tamper will be a tight squeeze!!
iZappa
iZappa
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millenium
Grinder: Anfim Haus, Ascaso i-2,...
Drip: French press will do
Roaster: Gene Cafe
Posted Sun Nov 18, 2007, 2:44pm

kevski Said:

but a 58mm tamper will be a tight squeeze!!

Posted November 18, 2007 link

Hmm... that is not my experience with it. I have used three different 58mm tampers with this machine and they have all fitted perfectly. I dose to the rim of the basket though. A traditional italian dosing of 7 or 12-14 grams might be a tight squeeze since the basket narrows in towards the bottom.

Let's make the water turn black
kevski

Posted Sun Nov 18, 2007, 3:23pm

Thanks for that insight! I was supplied with a 57mm tamper when I purchased the machine and assumed it was the correct size. As I said, it does the job -  after I tap the side of the filter following the first press, the second press usually compacts any stray grinds.
Brewse
Brewse

Espresso: none yet
Grinder: KA Proline
Vac Pot: {really want a Royal!}
Drip: KA Proline
Roaster: none yet
Posted Mon Nov 19, 2007, 5:05am

thanks kevski and iZappa.
showing page 2 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Ascaso Steel Duo...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.475051879883)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+