Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
iRoast 2 Home Coffee Roaster
Guatemala Classic Bourbon
Temblor - exceptionally smooth, rich coffee with notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate. Only at
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > iRoast 2 Home...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
wisgro
wisgro
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bialetti stove top
Grinder: Solis Maestero Plus
Vac Pot: French press
Roaster: i-roast 1
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 12:46pm
Subject: Re: iRoast 2 Home Coffee Roaster

As for cutomer sevice being great... I dispute that. Not every customer has the same experieince. About a month after I received my new i-roast the chaff collector lock tab broke off the top. Four 4 emails and a few phone calls got me a new top. It took over a month to get here. The replacement broke soon after. You guessed it... took about a month to get another replacement.   (CS actually asked me if I broke it on purpose.)
After 18 months of one batch per day my i-roast is dead. When the machine malfunctioned in July 06 I explained to Customer Service that my i-roast completes the roasting cycle but doesn't roast the beans. Air at the top is uncomfortable to my hand but apparently isn't hot enough to roast beans. CS said the i-roast wouldn't work because I had taken the  glass bean pot apart to clean it and disturbed the thermo reflector in the center.  Customer Service said I need a new bean pot. I purchased a new bean pot. Unfortunately i-roast moved so it took over a month to get the new bean pot and the roaster still won't roast. Now that the new bean pot didn't fix it CS has no answers. Sent the bean pot back today. My cast iron skillet is much more reliable.
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 12:59pm

Hi Walt,

Dam that just sucks!! I'm not talking about customer service & I don't see where anyone else is either. I look after my roaster & keep it clean, especially the two motor bearing supports & the motor's brushes & commutator.

I'm not implying that others don't look after their roaster or abuse it.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
shrimpboat
shrimpboat

Espresso: Expobar Office Control
Grinder: Iberital MC-1
Drip: Technivorm KBT Thermal
Roaster: GC, iRoast2
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 1:04pm

CraigA Said:

Hi Walt,

Dam that just sucks!! I'm not talking about customer service & I don't see where anyone else is either. I look after my roaster & keep it clean, especially the two motor bearing supports & the motor's brushes & commutator.

I'm not implying that others don't look after roaster or abuse it.

Posted September 14, 2006 link

Are you running it off an extension cord?

-----
-helplessly plummetting into the downward spiraling vortex of coffeegeekdom
sarrett

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia
Grinder: Rancillo Rocky
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Gevalia
Roaster: Iroast-2
Posted Thu Sep 14, 2006, 3:16pm

Spot on Marc!  I've been using it for a few months and it is good value for the money.  I was using a poppery with a variac before and my roast profile was the way you described poppery roasting...kicked the heat up very high a first and then dropped it back so the beans didn't go flying (I never did get around to separating the fan and heater.)  The I-roast2 works well and some of the changes they made were critical (for example saving profiles when unplugged.)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Wordcooper

Espresso: Briel Vilamoura
Grinder: Solis Maestro
Drip: French Press
Posted Mon Sep 18, 2006, 4:09pm

You could call the new review "At a Glance." That would mean the same as First Look, but signal a difference in protocol.
Everman
Everman

Espresso: Valentina Levetta, Elektra...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Mon Sep 18, 2006, 8:54pm

For the full review I'd like to see how the displayed temperature correlates to a reading by a temp probe (thermocouple) inside the pot with a batch of beans. I did this with my iRoast to figure out what temp to set the machine at to actually get the temp I wanted. (I rigged up a paperclip inside to hold the thermocouple where I wanted it) The noise should also be mentioned.  And perhaps even a comparison of roasts between the iroast 1 & 2, and a drum roaster like the hottop.  I'm sure it'll be months before you get a full review done if you included everything we wanted :)
ThatCoffeeGuy
ThatCoffeeGuy
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: NS at shop, nothing at home
Grinder: NS MDX, NS MCF (home), Bunn...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600, FR-8, Popper,...
Posted Mon Sep 18, 2006, 9:25pm

Wordcooper Said:

You could call the new review "At a Glance." That would mean the same as First Look, but signal a difference in protocol.

Posted September 18, 2006 link

I think that's a pretty good idea and the best I've heard yet.

Bryan Wray

"I just hope that people realize that coffee is not just a caffeine delivery service, it can be a culinary art." -Christopher Owens
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
peacedog
peacedog

Espresso: Andreja Premium; Presso
Grinder: rancilio rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Yama HCA-5
Drip: Krups Moka Brew; Technivorm...
Roaster: behmor 1600; Toastess popper
Posted Tue Sep 19, 2006, 8:10pm

On the longevity issue, I will provide a "Backward Glance" style review.  My Hearthware Precision lasted about a year and half.  My iRoast 1 lasted about a year and half.  (And in fairness, I had no problems with it, other than its untimely demise)  My use was moderate, eg 4 - 130g roasts per week.  Cost of each was about $CAD250.  

I don't think that is an adequate cost to longevity ratio.   While I agree the iRoast roasts good coffee, I don't think I could recommend a Hearthware product when my experience is that it won't last much longer than a $15 popcorn popper.  (The Toastess lasted about 1 year).

"Give me a rocks on the rocks - and put it in a dirty glass" - Cary Granite
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Sep 19, 2006, 9:59pm

Wordcooper Said:

Posted September 18, 2006 link

Not a bad idea! I'm not sure about "at a glance", but something similar.

Problem is, it would require some restructuring of the website, and new graphics, headers, layout templates, etc, which is something I can't invest any time in right now.

But for the next revision of the website - it's a good idea!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Enkerli
Enkerli

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Tue Sep 19, 2006, 10:48pm

MarkPrince Said:

Problem is, it would require some restructuring of the website, and new graphics, headers, layout templates, etc, which is something I can't invest any time in right now.

Posted September 19, 2006 link

Just ask one of the junior editors! ;-)

Alex
http://enkerli.com/
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
showing page 2 of 9 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > iRoast 2 Home...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quick Mill Back in Stock
All Quick Mill Machine ready to ship. Free Ship. Silvano, Anita, Alexia, 2B, Andreja, QM67, Monza!
cupandbrew.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.288187026978)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+