Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Isomac Millenium First Look
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Isomac Millenium...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
jamesw

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID of course.
Grinder: La Cimbali Jr.
Vac Pot: --
Drip: Braun
Roaster: none
Posted Fri Dec 8, 2006, 7:21pm
Subject: Re: Isomac Millenium First Look

"It won't change the operating characteristics of the HX but  . . . "

Well actually yes it can.  One can LOWER the boiler temp so that you have -- in effect -- a SINGLE BOILER MACHINE.  With the temp. optimized for what SHOULD  be the 'prime directive'  making espresso -- not steam.

j
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Dec 8, 2006, 9:13pm

jamesw Said:

One can LOWER the boiler temp so that you have -- in effect -- a SINGLE BOILER MACHINE.  With the temp. optimized for what SHOULD  be the 'prime directive'  making espresso -- not steam.

Posted December 8, 2006 link

That's just not true. The HX will never function like a single boiler because it doesn't use boiler water for brewing.

Water is heated "on the fly" as it travels from the source to the brew group so by design the boiler NEEDS to be hotter than brewing temperature. No matter what you will still need to run purge flushes before brewing.

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
jamesw

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2006, 3:27am

I fully understand the principles of operation of HX machines.

Should I put you in touch with many people who are operating their machines in exactly the mode I describe?

but no matter.  Methinks that probably would not convince.

j
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 9, 2006, 8:24am

jamesw Said:

...but no matter.  Methinks that probably would not convince.

Posted December 9, 2006 link

If you have something to say then why not say it?  I'm not going to argue with you, but we should take this opportunity to inform others who may not understand.

What you're talking about is using what I'd call the PURGE water to make the shot. That means you let the water in the HX tube stabilize in the boiler and use THAT fluid for your shot. You don't need a PID to do that, you can just set your p-stat at 0.1-0.35 bar (or therabouts) so that the water in the HX and in the boiler are close to brewing temperature.

The obvious disadvantage is that you effectively reduce your brew-boiler size to the volume of the HX tube (4-6 ounces in most home machines). That means you can only make one shot, maybe 2; and then the "new" water from reservoir starts coming in and lowering the intra-shot temperature profile so you would then need to allow sufficient time for the boiler to fully recover and bring the HX tube contents back to the steady state temp (maybe 2-3 minutes would be enough for most home HX machines).

This does NOT change the operating characteristic of the machine. That would require a physical change like re-plumbing the brew path to use boiler water for brewing.  It doesn't make sense for those home users who want to make more than a shot or two in sucession (or those who want to steam milk)  but it's fine if you usually brew alone and only make 1-2 shots

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
jamesw

Posted Sat Dec 9, 2006, 8:47am

" . . . . but it's fine if you usually brew alone and only make 1-2 shots"

and that is EXACTLY the usage pattern of MOST home users.

Using a 'pid' controller eliminates the obsolete pstat, eliminates noise, drift, sticking, and failure, affords instantaneous adjustment of temp/ press -- from the front panel, and delivers immediate accurate feedback to the user.

Adjusting a (usually inaccessible) pstat with a screwdriver is not a great option.

Quoting:
" I  purchased (off ebay) a Fluke thermometer so that I can dial-in brew temperature.  Wow
with the PID I can consistently hit that 203 degree sweet spot  endlessly. "

Isomac TEA owner.

j
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Isomac Millenium...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.204026937485)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+