Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Capresso CoffeeTEC First Look
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Aug 14, 2003, 12:00am
Subject: Capresso CoffeeTEC First Look

Capresso CoffeeTEC First Look

The Capresso CoffeeTEC combination thermal auto drip coffee brewer and milk frother is one of those "gee whiz" devices on the market. Here's our First Look at it.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TechKnowMama

Expertise: Advanced

Posted Sun Aug 17, 2003, 1:48pm
Subject: christmass wishlist

yep this one might make my xmass wishlist :}
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Dodge1
Dodge1
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3
Grinder: K30 Vario WBC & K10 WBC
Posted Tue Nov 18, 2003, 6:28am
Subject: Re: Capresso CoffeeTEC First Look

I’ve been using a CoffeeTec for almost a full year now and along the way I discovered a couple of “tweaks” that keep the coffee extremely hot and seem to improve the brewing process.  

1. I grind my own beans, so before I start grinding I’ll run ~ 6 cups of water through the unit and into the carafe.  This step heats up the machine but more importantly, it really heat up the carafe.
  2. Then I’ll start the brewing process, without putting the carafe under the basket and run just a tad more then a cup of water into the basket.  I allow this water to “bloom” the grind for a minute or two.
  3. Then I’ll empty the hot water out of the carafe and put it under the basket, only to drain the “blooming” liquid out of the basket.
  4. Then I’ll swing the basket open to rearrange the grinds and resume the full brewing process.

btw – The CoffeTec I own was a “Factory Serviced” unit that I purchased directly from Capresso for $119.95.  It came with the following warranty "Factory serviced products bought from this website have the same return and warranty protection as new products.”  When we opened the box I was pleasantly surprised to find, what for all practical purposes; was a brand new CoffeeTec.  Cool, I saved a fair amount of money and got the same warranty as a new unit.
 View Profile Link to this post
SteveCaffeine

Espresso: Krups 984
Grinder: Capersso Infinity
Vac Pot: needs replacement
Drip: Capresso CoffeeTec
Roaster: Stir Crazy Turbo.
Posted Wed Dec 24, 2003, 8:17am

Sincere Thanks Dodge1 - you saved me $80 and I owe you a cup  next time ...

I picked up a refurbed CoffeeTEC from the Capresso website for $120.   It has a lot of features I will seldom use -  I rarely froth or use milk,  I never make a half-pot, and I almost never program the auto-drip for a future brew.   Still this unit makes the hottest and best tasting auto-drip I've ever had.  Ergonomic, easy to use and tastes great.

The device is very attractive and easy enough  to use that I can overlook the huge countertop footprint and excess features.   I considered the Capresso MT500, but there seem to be reliability (heat) problems and $160 is more than the refurb which has probably been tested and repaired and observed by a competent human.   Also the MT500 is a bit ostentatious, while the CoffeeTEC is more understated.  I seriously considered the Krups Moka - but it's too small and probably too fussy for my diurnal needs.   For what I want - a low-maintainance relationship that provides lots of really *HOT* coffee all day long this is a dream.

I owe you a user review in a few more weeks.
espresso_jim
espresso_jim

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Mar 7, 2004, 12:04am

Mark,

Good, solid first look.  The article got me looking at the CoffeeTEC.  I had a pretty drip brewer that just didn't cut it when it came to brewing at the correct temperature or keeping the coffee warm (it had a baking - uh - warming plate). When a minor part broke, I started the quest for a quality drip maker.  From your First Look, I learned about the CoffeTEC. From the consumer reviews, I discovered that you can get it factory serviced for $120 with full warranty.  What a deal!

I've had mine for just over two months and I won't go back to a drip brewer that does not brew at the correct temperature or doesn't have a thermal stainless carafe.  When I move to Mexico, it is going with me.  

I was totally surprised that you could get such a great tasting cup of coffee from a drip maker.  The thermal stainless steel carafe does an amirable job at keeping the coffee hot.  The "brew through the closed carafe lid" is pretty ingenious.

Overall, you can tell that a lot of thought went into designing the CoffeeTEC.  It was as if the engineers really listened to the coffee "experts" when they designed this machine.

Good job to Capresso and great First Look.  Again, thanks, Mark.

Jim
LiveToEat

Posted Sun Mar 27, 2005, 10:54am

Hi Mark--

I am new to this website and loving it!  Based on reviews read here I have bought the Capresso (as well as a burr grinder).  I have not been able to get this machine to froth the milk though.  The very first time I used it, it frothed well but every time since it just steams the milk with almost no froth. I have tightened every part as instructed in the "tips" and it has made no difference.  The milk is 1% and cold (from the refrigerator).  I have tried tilting the cup a little to see if that helps, but it doesn't.

(By the way, I paid full retail rather than buy a factory reconditioned one.)

Any  thoughts?

Thanks much--

Peggy
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.233791828156)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+