Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Expobar Office Pulser First Look
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Expobar Office...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Jun 24, 2003, 1:00am
Subject: Expobar Office Pulser First Look

Expobar Office Pulser First Look

A first look at the lowest regular priced heat exchanger espresso machine on the market today - the Expobar Office Pulser
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Jun 27, 2003, 8:03am
Subject: The 1st look

Short & sweet review Mark, & as always, awesome pics!! {:-)
At this quality & value for money at this price point for the prosumer market, it looks like the Exobar Office Pulser has really stepped up to the plate & delivered a home run on this one! They really should have had a pressure gauge on this..., it would make it so much easier to dial in your particular brew/steam temperature. For easy viewing of the water level through that sight window, they should have had a clear strip added there on the opaque white water tank!
Excellent work,
Cheers!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
adamgoldberg
adamgoldberg
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Control
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Technivorm KBT741
Posted Wed Mar 10, 2004, 6:40pm
Subject: Re: Expobar Office Pulser First Look

First look was June '03, is there a Detailed Review coming?
 View Profile Link to this post
RoxieL
RoxieL

Espresso: Expobar (Control)/Saeco...
Grinder: Cimbali Jr/Rocky/SB Barista
Vac Pot: eSantos/ eSantos Jr.
Drip: Bunn
Roaster: Hottop/FR+
Posted Wed Mar 10, 2004, 7:10pm

adamgoldberg Said:

First look was June '03, is there a Detailed Review coming?

Probably not for a while.  I know Mark's been very busy & his mother just passed away on Monday.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
TimP
TimP
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: 10 year old Braun and a La...
Roaster: I need a 2' high Probat!!!
Posted Sat Aug 14, 2004, 7:25pm

Hi Folks, Hope I'm not stepping on toes here, but I just bought my Expobar Pulser and I have noticed a number of design changes since the "first look" was posted. I was somewhat surprised, since I had based some of my initial pre-purchase impressions from the info on this website. I am pleased with the machine, but I also think it's worth mentioning some of the changes that I have noticed.

The water reservoir is different than the one pictured. It holds 96oz by my measure, and there is a single hole in the center of the top. I assume this is an improvement over the earlier design, but I can't speak from experience. The cup warmer design is different. There is a split panel, with the rear panel, taking up about three quarters of the top, recessed about 1/4" more than the front quarter. There is no diode on the front panel to warn when a safety has been engaged. I'm not sure what the machine does now to tell the operator that the sensors have detected a problem.

The low profile feet are a welcome feature. The unit now sits about 3/8" above the countertop. There is no longer a water level viewing window. But there is a weight activated switch that prevents the pump (and I assume, the heater) from operating when the water needs to be refilled. The power switch is lighted, and there is a second light just below and to the right. This light indicates that the heater is engaged.  

That's all I know about at this point. Granted, these are small design changes, but they might matter to someone who is basing their opinion from the review posted here.

Overall, I have to say I'm very pleased with this unit. My old machine was an Astoria AEP-2, which was great for an espresso shop, and the Expobar really feels like a scaled down version of a commercial machine. I can't imagine wanting or needing anything more. Okay, maybe another portafilter or two, and a Rancillio Rocky, and a better tamper...

Tim

There are more important things than espresso, I just can't recall what they might be.
cordovero
cordovero

Espresso: Delonghi Perfecta (formerly:...
Grinder: Mazzer
Drip: Melitta Clarity
Roaster: I-Roast (formerly: Bemor)
Posted Thu Dec 9, 2004, 1:21am

Looking forward to the full review.
akdc2c
akdc2c

Espresso: Anita
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Drip: Zojurushi
Posted Wed Feb 15, 2006, 12:23pm

Great review!  I particularly liked the comparisons to other machines in this class/category.  I use CG as a reference in making purchases so these comparisons make decisions easier.  I don't yet have the knowledge to make the kind of adjustments the author talks about doing (temperature changes) but more time on CG and I will.  One other thing, machine dimensions would be helpful, particularly height.
CrackAddict

Espresso: Expobar
Grinder: Minoka
Roaster: iRoast
Posted Sun Mar 19, 2006, 4:44am

Some info that may be of use to Pulser owners. I bought a Pulser in the UK in May of 2005. It was "new old stock" and purchased from an importer that was setting up small coffee shops but had never been used. I have a small kitchen and was thrilled to find a machine this good that would fit beside my sink and for a decent price - GBP400 in total.

My Pulser came with a plumbed-in kit (which I have not used - London water would kill a boiler in a month) and 2 drip trays - one with drain and one without. I used the one with a drain and hooked up some piping to the sink. Works great, but the regular drip tray is pretty big anyway.

The OPV was set to about 14 bar, measured with a PF - mounted gauge. While adjusting that, I noticed that the OPV "overflow" had no return - it was just dumped in the drip tray. This is probably due to the plumbed-in setup (endless water supply) but I took the opportunity to add a return line into the reservoir. Note - make sure this is above the water line or you can siphon the tank onto the counter! Don't ask.

I have the tall feet and this works well as the drain line has to clear. I thought about switching to lower feet, but the Pulser has RivNuts at the rear which the feet screw into, and these are 8mm where most replacement feet are 10mm thread. So if looking for new feet, make sure they fit the threaded holes at thee rear. Front are just nuts and easily changed.

I have insulated the boiler from the reservoir with some ceramic balanket - there is not very much space (a very narrow machine) and it's tough to get the metal divider back in. This machine has no spring switch under the reservoir. The reservoir has a clear area at the front, and by totally removing the plastic window on the machine case, it was sort of visible. I then added a small submersible lamp (used in trendy aquariums) and that makes it simple to see the water level from 20' away. BTW - you can also put a clean colo(u)red ping pomng ball in the reservoir to help.

I also had a new drip tray screen made. The OEM screen is wire and small shot glases wobbled on it, so I had one made out of perforated alumin(i)um that works much better.

I've also added a "cool" steam wand (sourced from Australia) with a two-hole tip and that makes frothing a breeze. And the milk doesn't "cook" on the wand, which is great. Also got a set of Les Albjerg's wooden tamper/handle sets - very nice!

http://www.thortamper.com/cococombo.html

My only issue with the Pulser is that it randomly refuses to thermosiphon on its own. This means that some days, despite being on for an hour, the group is still cool. Running the pump will eventually get water out the head (maybe 20 seconds) and then all is fine the rest of the day. I have replaced the solenoid, checked for leaks but it still has this problem, which is easy enough to live with, but a bit of a mystery.

I invested iin an RO water filter setup since with 400 tds water here in London, I was having to buy Volvic to use for coffee. I figured out I would pay more for water in a couple of years than I pais for the machine, so I now add just a bit of tap water to get back to the sub-60 tds that is boiler safe.

The manual that comes with the Expobar from the manufacturer is a hoot and pretty useless. Frothing is called "strangling the milk". But if you look on CG and other sources, you will get instructions on setting up preinfusion and on the auto-backflush cycle.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Expobar Office...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.268460035324)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+