Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Caffe Rosto Roaster First Look
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Caffe Rosto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 16, 2002, 1:00am
Subject: Caffe Rosto Roaster First Look

Caffe Rosto Roaster First Look

Coffee Geek takes the first of a long and thorough look at the Caffe Rosto, which looks to be a capable 4 ounce hot air coffee roaster.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2002, 2:58pm
Subject: sweet spot

With my HWP at 360+ roasts, I have to consider the candidates for the next roaster.  For me, the ZD simply takes too long to roast and is not an option.  A roaster that will roast somewhere between 4 to 6 oz of green beans would seem to be optimal.  I can do about 10 roasts in the HWP in about 2 hours and that is enough for a week's worth of coffee, vac pot & espresso.  The $150 mark is affordable.  So that this is in the running of potential candidates, but I would prefer to wait and see the new Hearthware, hopefully it won't be a vapor-roaster.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2002, 10:35pm
Subject: Vapor Roasters

I hope the new HW comes out soon too - I remember back to the bad old days when the Alpenrost was vaporware for over 3 years!
espresso_jim
espresso_jim
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Dec 21, 2002, 10:49pm
Subject: Was an option

When the HotTop vaporized from the US market I was disappointed.  I was at the point where I was ready to step up to a larger capacity roaster than the Freshroast+.

My choices were the Alpenrost and the Caffe Rosto.  I looked carefully at the Rosto because of its lower price and the fact that it gave more body, less bright roast. The other factor was the bad rap the Alp has been getting lately.  

I took a leap of faith and ultimately went with the Alp because of its 1/2 pound roast batches.  If this first look was available when I was ready to buy, I might have looked a little closer at the Rosto.  My FR+ still has some life in it and should last until the detailed review on the Rosto is out.  I might just use the Rosto as a secondary roaster.  (I try not to say anything much regarding the Alp as I don't wish to jinx it.)

As usual Mark, a good solid first look.

Thanks,
Jim
 View Profile Link to this post
mcKoffee
mcKoffee
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: VBM DD, Bricoletta, Audrey,...
Grinder: Major,SJ, Rocky,...
Vac Pot: Gold Royal Balance
Drip: When it rains...Aero,...
Roaster: USRC3k,CCR HT, Behmor, Cafe...
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2002, 11:18am
Subject: Rosto roastin' for 20 months

I've been Rosto roasting for 20 months or so. Very please. I've added a variac for temp control profiling. As noted if exceedint weighed 4oz very little bean movement. No biggy. I use what I call 'Variable Variac Rockin' Rosto' roasting technique. Simply tilt the Rosto slightly back (away from chaff collector) and gently rock to add bean movement. My standard batch size is 1/3# by weight with no problem and very even roasts. When I'm in the mood I do 1/2# weighed batches, also no problem. Just must be careful in the rocking or will rock beans into the chaff collector. With variac, Rosto, and thermometer (fed through hole drilled in plastic portion of id) I can emulate a FR French in 4min or drum City in 20min or anything inbetween. I do not let it cool between batches, rather I always pre-heat for fist batch so batches will be consistent. My longest session was 24 back to back roast batches for Christmas gift coffee, no problem. MM:-)
MGLloyd

Espresso: Livia 90 semi
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Drip: Capresso MT 500
Roaster: Behmor and HG/DB
Posted Sat Dec 28, 2002, 8:55am
Subject: Very pleased with my Rosto

I bought a Rosto about five months ago after much careful research and comparison shopping.  My previous roasting experience was with a friend's HWP.  Two of my major criteria were roast capacity and durability of the unit.  The Rosto has performed excellently on both counts.  I routinely roast 4-5 oz. batches, usually to a full city roast at nine minutes or so.  A wonderful unit and I would recommend it for most roasting purposes.
stagger
stagger

Espresso: Pavoni
Grinder: Saeco
Roaster: HGDB
Posted Wed Jan 1, 2003, 10:09am
Subject: weight vs volume

For some reason, most people's kitchens dont have scales, so I'm not surprised that it caused confusion here, even though every other measurement is done by weight.

anyone who has read descriptions on how to properly scoop 1 cup of flour will add in a breath in a low voice "...or i could just dump 4oz on a  scale..."
 View Profile Link to this post
milnerb1

Espresso: Vivaldi II, Isomac Tea,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Solis Mulino
Roaster: Behmor 1600, BBQ drum,...
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2003, 11:22pm
Subject: Good Roaster that Could Benefit from Variac

I've been using my new Rosto for about 1 month and am generally very happy with it...getting much better and more developed roast flavors that what I had gotten with a Poppery II.  I typically roast either 4.2 or 4.8 oz. by weight.  

I have just ordered a variac, however, as my house voltage is 124 volts, resulting in relatively fast roasts (for the Caffe Rosto).  Adding the cost of a variac makes this a $190 roaster setup that should produce roasts that are consistent, reliable, and very controllable, from the bright/acity profile of most air roasters to the mellow profile of drum roasts.  Though not exactly cheap, it's still a reasonable value given the flexibiltiy provided by this roaster.
GlennHayes

Posted Tue Jan 7, 2003, 7:34pm
Subject: Caffe Rosto Roaster

I had problems with this unit 1st was repaired and died and was give a new one a month later it died even the dealer had problems with there unit and decided not to stock them because of the problems with the unit
mhodges

Espresso: ECM Giotto Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Mr. Coffee
Roaster: Fresh Roast+
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2003, 5:57pm
Subject: the roaster delimma

You certainly would not think that it was so difficult to build a device that can roast coffee well, is durable, and is under a couple hundred US dollars, but it does not seem that easy.

Many of us have gone through a Hearthware or 2 (I'm waiting to see the next rendition although latest word is that it will be June 2003 at the earliest).  

I currently use a Fresh Roast+ with decent results, but I would love a batch size twice as large.  

I tested the new Zach & Dani's model, but found it did not meet my espresso needs (taste wasn't as good and the roast times were too long for the amount of coffee that was the end result).  

I am very interested to see how Mark's detailed review will read in the end.  The Caffe Rosto is definitely a contender, but I have also heard some mixed results.

I would love a Hot Top, but the liklihood that it will ever be for sale in the U.S. seems to further diminish with time.  I would have paid a pretty penny for the Hot Top, but I'm not going to ship it from the UK or Taiwan.

I guess that all I can do is wait, or spend a few hundred hours in building my own barbeque roaster....maybe that's next.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Caffe Rosto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.264294862747)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+