Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Isomac Venus Espresso Machine
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Isomac Venus...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2002, 2:23am
Subject: When the Review is coming

I have a couple of machines ahead of the Venus, including the Alpenrost (next review), the Zaffiro (next after that), and then either the MT500 or the Venus.

The machine is put away for now, as I can only evaluate about two or three machines at a time :). But it will be yanked out in January, and given another solid 3 or 4 weeks of testing, writing, test-grouping before I put pen to paper for the beeg review.

Fortune: temp surfing does indeed seem to be a thing of the past with the Zaffiro, thanks to the adjustable thermostat (not a pressurestat), but the jury's out on the Venus.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
travelor

Expertise: Intermediate

Posted Sat Dec 14, 2002, 9:25am
Subject: Have you tried the Office Control

Thank you Marc. Your reviews are so helpful.
I am in the process of buying a espresso machine.  A Whole Latte Co. carries the Office Control, but I have not seen a review on it.  It appears to be in the middle category of all the machines.  Can you help me.
 View Profile Link to this post
masahiro

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: ISOMAC GRAN MACININO
Posted Thu May 29, 2003, 10:48pm
Subject: pressure gauge goes everywhere

I just got venus. The pressure gauge seems to point very high pressure when pump is not on. Is this normal?
wh

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 21, 2003, 10:42am
Subject: Detailed review?

Was there ever a detailed review for this machine? I was about to buy one (actually it's a toss-up with the Silvia), and would like to see any additional detail I can find about the thermostat issues, etc. Thanks!

W
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 21, 2003, 10:52am
Subject: Re: First Look at the Isomac Venus

The DR has been put off indefinitely for this machine. Our test unit hasn't worked properly since the first few days' testing; a problem with both thermostats inside. It's not a failure, but the thermostat's cycle ranges are extreme - the machine drops to about 160F grouphead brew temperature before it kicks on again, and when steaming, a similar drop is experienced before the boiler goes on.

This problem may be fixed with other machines now, but I've gotten a few emails from people who had similar problems with machines shipping last year.

Jim at 1st Line sent a new part a few weeks ago (Isomac themselves have known about this problem with my machine since March, and were supposed to fix it in person in Vancouver in June when they came to the Canadian Coffee and Tea expo, but they didn't attend). This part hasn't been installed yet as I haven't had a chance to do it yet.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Columbo
Columbo
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Rocky SS Doserless
Vac Pot: Silex Anyheet
Drip: DeLonghi 24/7
Roaster: Maybe Some Day...
Posted Thu Nov 20, 2003, 7:15am
Subject: Re: Isomac Venus Espresso Machine

I've had my Venus, from 1st Line, for two weeks now and no problems with thermostats or inconsistencies. I do note, as another owner mentioned, that the boiler pressure gauge registers about 13 when pouring a shot. I am thrilled with the resulting espresso, however. I'm a very happy camper.

Cordially,

Dave
Corsican
Corsican
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Cellini Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Drip: Melitta Ceramic Cone
Posted Sun Dec 7, 2003, 6:38pm

I purchased my Isomac Venus last September. I think it is a terrific machine. It is too bad that not too many people have written more detail reviews.  I am extremely happy with the shots that I get out of this machine. It took a while to figure out proper timing to get excellent shots, what I do is that after a 40 minutes warm up period I bleed some water out of the steam wand until the boiler light comes on. After the ready light go off I wait 2 1/2 minutes to pull my double. It works very well for me. I am currently using La Marzocco portafilter and double basket.  My blend of choice is Vivace Dolce. I think that in the long run the Venus will be regarded as a very competitive choice against the Silvia.

Life is a one way trip, so be sure to enjoy every second of your journey !!!!!!
TCFatone

Grinder: Mazz-Mini
Posted Tue Feb 24, 2004, 7:00pm

Howdy,
I've been obsessing about which Espresso machine to purchase for several weeks now.  I've boiled it down to either the Sylvia or the Venus.  I pretty much decided to go with the new kid on the block (Venus) based on all the great reviews and the "first look".  BUT, the thermostat problems reported by Mark in his sept. 21st post have given me cause for concern and put me right back to where I was before!  Any news on the thermostat problem?  Has it been fixed by now?  Anybody know?  Thanks.  Oh, just bought the Mazzer Mini Grinder and am in love.  It's a beauty!
-Tom
NYC
HB

Posted Tue Feb 24, 2004, 7:05pm

See the thread Venus or Silvia? for some recent discussion of this very topic.

-- Dan

www.home-barista.com
theblacksmith
theblacksmith

Espresso: Cremina 67, PID'ed Isomac...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: TechniVorm / Chemex
Roaster: SC/TO, Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Mar 22, 2004, 2:19pm

I just bought the Isomac Venus... hopefully I will get it Thurs or Friday. I've been using a Capresso Ultima and while it makes better espresso than my little Krups steam machine, there's definitely no control over anything but grind and time. Anyway my question(s) is this, 1)what is the optimal pressure during pull? 2) Can't the pressure be adjusted on the Venus? I'm "raw" newbie to espresso but I've got the fever and love the discovery.

Danny

Danny
www.pbase.com/creationsphotography
"Just worrying about what I can't get to today!"
"As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another" Proverbs 27:17
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Isomac Venus...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.211527109146)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+