Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Capresso MT500 Coffee Brewer
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso MT500...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Mar 10, 2003, 12:00am
Subject: Capresso MT500 Coffee Brewer

Capresso MT500 Coffee Brewer

We've been anxious to review some coffee brewers for some time now, and we have a really good candidate in the Capresso MT500. Check out the First Look.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeenut

Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Braun
Drip: Cuisinart Brew Central
Posted Wed Oct 29, 2003, 10:04am
Subject: Re: Capresso MT500 First Look

CoffeeKid Said:

Capresso MT500 First Look

We've been anxious to review some coffee brewers for some time now, and we have a really good candidate in the Capresso MT500. Check out the First Look.

Posted August 28, 2002 link

janet
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
coffeenut

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2003, 10:13am
Subject: Capresso MT500 -- Where can I purchase in Canada?  Specifically Montreal?

Very interesting article on the Capresso, which I have been checking out for the past little while, and is said to be THE one to buy.  I am in the market for a new machine, and your article just about convinced me (I am unemployed right now and I need to make sure this is THE machine for me). Christmas is coming and I will buy a new machine.  Which one?  I am 95% convinced in what I read about the MT500.  My only concern is a post I just read about the coffee not staying hot.......that is a concern for sure...... otherwise, it is a wrap and a buy for me.  Now where can I purchase this Capresso in Canada, specifically in Montreal?  Can anyone be of help to me?  Or perhaps make some other suggestions?

janet
Ormazd
Ormazd

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Rocky doserless, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos
Drip: Technivorm KBT741
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 29, 2003, 10:39am

You can check out my review of the MT500 here for some supplemental info.  You may find my temperature tests of interest.

http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/drip/capressomt500/Ormazd

Gary
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeenut

Posted Wed Oct 29, 2003, 11:37am

Thank you for the link, Gary.  It has me more convinced.  Now, would anyone know where I can find this product in Montreal?  All roads I have tried lead to companies in the United States, and most will not ship to Canada, and if they do, we are talking $$$$$! Thanks for your feedback.

janet
an

Posted Sat Dec 13, 2003, 7:32pm
Subject: Re: Capresso MT500 Coffee Brewer

I bought MT500 from a Capresso dealer in Canada. But the unit doesn't make a hot coffee. There seems to be a mixed review here. Some people say it can make hot coffee, some say the coffee is not hot. In my case, the unit can not make hot coffee, I compared this to my Proctor Silex coffeemaker and i have to say that the Proctor Silex makes hotter coffee than the MT500.
I brought the unit back to the dealer and basically they are going to test it and repair it if there is a defect. I bought the unit 5 days ago, and they don't even want to give me a new unit!
Sigh ....
 View Profile Link to this post
madmacedonian

Espresso: Starbucks Barista
Drip: Krups Aroma
Posted Wed Dec 17, 2003, 9:38pm
Subject: Re: MT500

I still cannot find a hot cup of drip coffee...have you found the magic machine???? many tout the Technivorm machines ($$$)...let me know the result of your quest

thx
MyKidDroveMeToDrinkCoffee

Posted Tue Jan 4, 2005, 8:26am
Subject: Re: MT500

x Said:

I purchased this machine about a month ago a a local retail store.  The construction quality looked good.  I ran several pots of water thru it and then loaded it up with coffee. Tje carafe was more than warm from the previous cycles.  The coffee was quite tasty but was not very hot at the end of the brewing cycle and only luke warm 1/2 hour later.  I tried using it daily for about a week diligently preheating the carafe prior to brewing and the coffee just was not hot!  I did not preform the detailed temperature tests I see others preform,  a quick read therometer showed 160 in the pot after brewing cycle.  Not good enough for me.  Did I get a bad unit?  I wanted to like this brewer but took it back.

Posted September 29, 2002 link

We just recieved the MT-500 as a Christmas gift and noticed the same thing.  We were expecting a piping hot cup of coffee when we were done brewing, yet we were greeted with what could be barley be considered hot.  I haven't yet measured the temperature, but my guess is that it is barely above hot tapwater hot.  And yes an hour or so later the coffee left in the carafe is barely luke warm.

We asked ourselves the same thing, is ours defective?  Perhaps the McDonalds lady purchased a MT500, spilled a cup on herself, sued Capresso and they were forced to change the design!
gevalia

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jan 10, 2005, 12:21pm
Subject: Re: Capresso MT500 Coffee Brewer

I received this machine for a gift. I followed all the instructions to the letter, including heating the carafe with hot water before brewing. But, as another commentator pointed out, the coffee simply was not hot enough. I used the 4-5 cup setting since there are only two people in our family now.

Sadly disappointed, I returned the machine so that the sender could receive her credit.

The other feature I did not like was the water level indicator. It was too far off to the side and the numbers were much too small to read easily.

I liked the water filter, general design, and clock/buttons.
jdegann

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos (electric)
Drip: Starbucks Barista (old...
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2008, 7:21pm
Subject: Re: MT500 seems just like the my Kitchen Tools

I also have the Kitchen Tools brewer, branded as Starbucks Barista.  I was very tempted recently to retire it for the Capresso MT 500 when I saw it on clearance at Peets.

Then I looked at a couple of things.

I too measured the water temperature - and it clocked in at 202.
The KT has a swing out basket, easier to fill than the flip top on the Capresso.
The KT has a removable water chamber - a critical benefit as I pull it out and fill it from my reverse osmosis water dispenser.
The KT stops brewing if you remove the pot.  This is really nice.  While I don't do it often, if I happen to remove the pot and forget to put it back in, there is no mishap.
The KT dispenses water from a series of seven holes, instead of the single hole of the Capresso.  I must imagine that this disperses the water better.

Downsides:
The thing ALWAYS drips.  You pour some coffee and you must either wipe the spout or put it on a napkin.
I wish I didn't buy the white plastic model, as it has now become stained brown in many spots.

I was so tempted to replace this, but seeing the shortfalls of the Capresso, and having now confirmed that the KT brews at 202, it's hard for me to justify making the change.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Capresso MT500...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.293729066849)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+