Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
Thermos Nissan Products - First Look
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Thermos Nissan...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Georg

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: Jenaer Glass Gaskettless,...
Drip: Press Pot or hand pour
Roaster: HG/DB setup
Posted Mon May 13, 2002, 7:20am
Subject: Suggestion for a test: contminant resitancy

Hi Mark,

my ten+ year old stainless stell insulatuing bottle is still doing fine keeping its content hot. On the other hand the plastic lined cups became unusable soon. They add a plastiky taste note to the brewerage.

It would be interesting if the thermos bottles which are plastic lined are lost if you "forget" some coffee in there for a day or two. 8^P In this respect the ease of cleaning and the risk of having a residue left after cleaning is important. You want to be able to use your thermos for a long time. This won't be easy if it adopts tastes and yucky stuff to easily!

Thanks,
Georg
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon May 13, 2002, 2:28pm
Subject: Cleaning steel

Hi George. One thing I've learned in the past with my own insulated beverage containers (including Zojirushi and Thermos Nissan products) is that Oxiclean (or Oxyclean?) works wonders completely eliminating any smell whatsoever. The only thing I have concerns about is Oxi around rubber, but the gaskets in the Thermos Nissan line are all silicone. I'm going to check with the Nissan people before I use Oxy in any serious tests to see if the silicone is safe from the active ingredients.

But for the metal? Jeanette has a problem with my "coffee flavoured" thermos products, she hates the smell. I give it a quick soak in boiling water and Oxy, and there is absolutely no smell left - it's completely sanitized and "as new".
justdavid
justdavid
Expertise: Beginner

Grinder: two (2) Krups "Fast-Touch"
Drip: one (1) Krups, one (1)...
Posted Tue May 14, 2002, 8:02pm
Subject: Re: First Look at Thermos Nissan Products

Mark, I'm betting the tests will rate them pretty highly.  Two anecdotes:

1. I've brewed an eight- or ten-cup pot, filled my "14-oz. S. S. Ins. Travel Tumbler" (love their product names), and then started pouring from the pot.  An hour later, when I finished everything else and turned to the T.T., its contents were still warm-to-hot.

2. I've also got a 1.1-qt. bottle, the one w. detachable shoulder strap and fold-out handle.  24 hours after filling it, Its contents will still be very warm.

D.
 View Profile Link to this post
guilbert

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Thu May 16, 2002, 7:47pm
Subject: Thermos vacuum products

I am a fan of Thermos and Thermos/Nissan products.  However, the best Thermos products I have ever encountered were rebadged products marketed by Thermos, not made by Thermos.  IMnsHO, the best Thermos products are those made by the German company Rotpunkt and branded and sold as Thermos/Nissans.  The Rotpunkt ("red dot") Thermos carafes are the Lexuses to the Thermos/Nissan Toyotas, the Infinitis to the Thermos/Nissan Nissans.
UrsaMedius

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Solis SL70
Grinder: Kitchenaid
Drip: Gevalia freebie
Posted Sun May 26, 2002, 7:35am
Subject: Note re: customer service

I recently managed to misplace (sidelong look at the dog) the top to my 12 oz Nissan tumbler (JMH400). A visit to the Nissan-Thermos website provided an 800 number to their "parts" department. Zero hassle, four business days and US$2.50 later, I am no longer lidless.
MarkPrince

Posted Mon May 27, 2002, 4:09pm
Subject: Lots of private comments

I've gotten lots of private comments from people via email regarding Thermos Nissan and I have to say, I like what I've been reading. Ursa's comments seems the norm - the company is very professional, and very attentive to their customers. They are proud of their product line, and are very fast to respond.

Personally, I've had a variety of questions for their technical department, and the response rate is fantastic.

A company is just as much about the service they provide as the product they sell, at least in my book, and it seems that Thermos Nissan is a service-oriented company.
Starduster
Starduster
Expertise: Intermediate

Espresso: Solis SL-70, Expobar Control
Grinder: Maestro, Rocky jDL
Vac Pot: Santos, eSantos
Drip: Krups
Roaster: None Yet
Posted Sun Jun 9, 2002, 10:25am
Subject: Problems with French Press

Have long enjoyed the excellent construction of a Thermos/Nissan insulated mug, so recently acquired the 1 liter press pot (our 48oz Bodum has gotten too large with the departure of five children!)

Although beautifully manufactured, we have yet to make a pot of coffee in our new press where the grounds didn't ooze past the screen and insinuate themselves in the coffee (leading to the use of a strainer each time).  It looks like the thing's not sealing against the walls properly, so, based on the wonderful comments about Customer Service above, I'll call them tomorrow and see what we can do!
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Jun 13, 2002, 1:00am
Subject: Thermos Nissan Products - First Look

Thermos Nissan Products - First Look

This week, we offer up a first look at something different - a wide range of Thermos Nissan products for keeping beverages hot... or cold.
bikecoff

Expertise: Advanced

Posted Tue Sep 24, 2002, 11:53am
Subject: Leakproofness & bottle holder compatibility

Please include how leak proof each
product is and whether or not they
can be carried in a bicycle water
bottle holder.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > Thermos Nissan...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.246707201004)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+