Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: Products First Look Feedback
KitchenAid ProLine Grinder First Look
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > KitchenAid...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 14 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 12:00am
Subject: KitchenAid ProLine Grinder First Look

KitchenAid ProLine Grinder First Look

CoffeeGeek takes a first look at the all metal, seriously built "ProLine" offering in the grinder category from KitchenAid
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
mmm_crema
mmm_crema
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Nuova Simonelli Mac 2000
Grinder: Compak K3 touch
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Gas-wok-heat gun 1 lb...
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 6:27pm
Subject: Re: KitchenAid ProLine Grinder

Nice grinder, I am starting to see these in stores finally. Too bad it does not have a provision to dose into a portafilter, but all in all appears to be a great buy at $199.

Emil
 View Profile Link to this post
Reighlok
Reighlok
Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 6:40pm

I have been hearing about it in the podcasts for a while and it was nice to see pictures of it so that I know what Mark has been talking about. I was sceptical at first because of the Pro Line Series $300 four slice toaster , but the grinder seems to be a good value.
jeffmac
jeffmac
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa lever...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: German 1950's ground glass...
Drip: Vignano 'Kontessa' moka pot,...
Roaster: popcorn popper
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 7:08pm

Mark

How wide is the opening in the bottom container, or the opening below the burrs?  Could you fit a kind of collar to make grinding direct into a portafilter possible?

Also when you say 'sharper burrs' does that mean the ones they supply are a bit blunt? Can they be replaced with other standard sized burrs?

Apologies that this all questions but I'm a kitchenaid fan too and this is a nice looker and interesting design.

Thanks

Jeff
Espressosnob
Espressosnob

Espresso: Ranchilio Silvia, Gaggia...
Grinder: Kitchen Aid Pro...
Drip: Capresso Coffee TEC, Braun,...
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 8:22pm
Subject: Re: KitchenAid ProLine Grinder First Look

Mark, glad you reported on this grinder.  I've had one for over a year to grind for espresso with Silvia and for brewed with the Capresso Tec.  Had to tweak the adjustment for espresso but is working perfectly for both (6.5 for espresso with Black Cat and 3 for the Tec).  Early reviews of this machine on this site seemed to be a bit skeptical of it being for serious espresso brewing, but from my experience it's much better then my old Solis.  On of the most appreciated characteristics is the almost complete lack of static.  I think you'll get years of good service from it, and I hope this shows KitchenAid can make "serious coffee" products.

By the way, I store a small grind in one of those small glass "bail" sealed jars.  The ProLine's "bin" fits to it perfectly so the grind can be transferred without any bits of coffee spilling out.  This machine is "clean."
jim_schulman
jim_schulman
Expertise: I live coffee
Posted Wed Sep 7, 2005, 9:50pm

The burr system looks impressive, like a junior version fo the DRM conical/flat set, in which the conicals are used mainly as an augur for the flat burrs. The straight through grounds path is also ideal for cupping, since one doesn't need "sacrificial grinding" or burr cleaning when changing beans. It's odd that they don't have a simple cone for a PF; it would have been easy to add, and made it a better mate to their espresso machine.

However. it looks like there are 24 grind settings for the full grind range. This is a serious drawback for espresso. The Mazzer grinder divides a full turn into 100 notches, and about 40 to 50 make up the full grind range. One can easily set to 1/2, and with a bit of work, to 1/3 of a notch. So a good espresso grinder with notches should have around 80 to 100 for the full grind range to make it truly functional. Here they could have taken a page from the NS MCF or Lux/Pavoni grinders which have a reasonably set worm gear, and a window to display the stepless grind setting.

Jim Schulman
www.coffeecuppers.com
DaveS

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Roaster: I-Roast
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2005, 7:50am

Mark - you mention beans sticking occasionally - was the machine you tested a fairly recent one or one from a while back- there is a thread in the coffee machines forum that indicates Kitchenaid was offering a fix for beans sticking and a new collection jar I think.
BuzzedLightyear
BuzzedLightyear

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky DL
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Thu Sep 8, 2005, 2:49pm

This review came just in time, I almost purchased this due to the podcast and some other current reviews being used with a silvia. The price of $159 at Williams Sonoma looks very attractive too, but it looks like the steps are to broad for espresso and maybe I should just save up for the rocky

Don
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2005, 4:41pm

DaveS Said:

Mark - you mention beans sticking occasionally - was the machine you tested a fairly recent one or one from a while back- there is a thread in the coffee machines forum that indicates Kitchenaid was offering a fix for beans sticking and a new collection jar I think.

Posted September 8, 2005 link

I do have the new design AFAIK - the original one definitely had problems with sticking beans and also there was an issue with the design of the floating seal for the grinds catcher, where grinds would accumulate.

It's really a minor problem though. Usually when things get held up, it's like 4, 5 beans that you can just flick with your finger into the guard.

I dunno if I mentioned this in the first look, but one real advantage to this design - little or no "popcorn effect" (ie, beans bouncing above the burrs) because of the auger / vertical burr stack design.

Cheers

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Sep 8, 2005, 4:44pm

jim_schulman Said:

However. it looks like there are 24 grind settings for the full grind range. This is a serious drawback for espresso. The Mazzer grinder divides a full turn into 100 notches, and about 40 to 50 make up the full grind range. One can easily set to 1/2, and with a bit of work, to 1/3 of a notch. So a good espresso grinder with notches should have around 80 to 100 for the full grind range to make it truly functional. Here they could have taken a page from the NS MCF or Lux/Pavoni grinders which have a reasonably set worm gear, and a window to display the stepless grind setting.

Posted September 7, 2005 link

I dunno about the worm gear - the problem with that is, it's darned hard to dial back and forth between a press grind and espresso grind with it, and usually to get back to espresso, you have to grind three or four pulls before you get it right again.

But I'd agree that with 16 usable selections, and roughly 24 on the gearing tooth, this is a shortcoming of this grinder. Not a major one, and considering its competition, it's better than some, on par with others, and worse than others. I don't consider this grinder a direct competitor for a Mazzer or Rocky for that matter. It's direct competition is the Solis lineup, the Capresso Infinity, and other multi-use grinders.

As such, it's at the top of the class (IMO) for a lot of things, and well, if they tweaked the grind settings so we could get 24 or 30 or more ready-usable grind selections, it'd be that much better.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 1 of 14 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > First Looks... > KitchenAid...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324568986893)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+