Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Project by Mark Prince
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Induction...  
view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 7:09am
Subject: Re: Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Project

andys Said:

As Mark said, there are issues with Italian/English translation which may make it more difficult to understand each other. I think what he's saying is that the heating pipe stores some energy, and this stored energy supplements the  real time energy available from the electrical mains. But even with a little storage, it seems to me that 1100 watts is not a lot of power to heat water for brewing big cups of American-style coffee in under a minute. Theory aside, hopefully we will soon see exactly what the machine can do.

Posted May 28, 2014 link

Andy, I could be wrong but I do not believe there is any storage system at all with their induction system.  My understanding of magnetic induction as it is being used here is that the water only passes through the metal pipe being induced and exits at the proper temperature to make espresso.  A thermocouple at the exit providing the input to the electronics to provide the proper wattage to the induction coil around the pipe to assure that the exit temp remains correct as the water flow increases and decreases.  The efficiency of the induction process should be significant as the pipe does not get heated by heating coils around it but is in essence the heating coil itself.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 7:27am

andys Said:

But even with a little storage, it seems to me that 1100 watts is not a lot of power to heat water for brewing big cups of American-style coffee in under a minute. Theory aside, hopefully we will soon see exactly what the machine can do.

Posted May 28, 2014 link

1100watts induction heating to a small tube should boil water instantaneously and probably continuously at a limited flow rate.  Even a conventional heating coil wrapped around a copper tube and insulated would probably boil water continuously.  We are likely talking about 10-20ml of water capacity in the heating tube.

Can't wait to see one of these on a test bench, especially one hooked up to a temp sensor to see how stable the temps are.
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 7:41pm

DanoM Said:

1100watts induction heating to a small tube should boil water instantaneously and probably continuously at a limited flow rate

Posted May 29, 2014 link

I'm not disagreeing that 1100 watts can heat water quickly. I'm just saying that 1100 watts, over the time shown in the video (~47 secs), won't brew much more than a 5 oz cup of coffee.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Thu May 29, 2014, 7:47pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Andy, I could be wrong but I do not believe there is any storage system at all with their induction system.

Posted May 29, 2014 link

You could be right, I personally found their description a bit ambiguous.

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

A thermocouple at the exit providing the input to the electronics to provide the proper wattage to the induction coil around the pipe to assure that the exit temp remains correct as the water flow increases and decreases.

Posted May 29, 2014 link

True, although the temperature sensor shown in the picture looks to be about 6mm in diameter. This larger dia sensor takes several seconds to respond to temperature changes, so that the indicated output temp looks steadier than it actually is.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Fri May 30, 2014, 6:31am

andys Said:

True, although the temperature sensor shown in the picture looks to be about 6mm in diameter. This larger dia sensor takes several seconds to respond to temperature changes, so that the indicated output temp looks steadier than it actually is.

Posted May 29, 2014 link

I do some work with thermocouples and I noticed that too.  They should go with a much thinner diameter probe if there is one out there.  All the thin ones are much longer, probably have to be specially made.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 6:25am
Subject: Re: Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter

They met their $180,000 stretch goal and now have 3 new colors to choose from.  Pearl White should look pretty ritzy on it.  $90,000 more till they meet their dedicated software/USB connection stretch goal.  That is a bit of a jump.

Len

swag
swag
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Factory G106, etc.
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona 'D'
Drip: Melita & paper; French...
Roaster: FRP, pans, BBQs, you name it
Posted Thu Jun 5, 2014, 9:29am
Subject: Re: Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Project by Mark

andys is all over this one for what makes the logistical difference between a viable prototype and a supportable machine that will have a shelf-life more than it's first run or two of production. When the initial cash flow dries up, then what?

Just as lotteries are essentially a tax on people who can't do math, crowdfunding efforts are more often a tax on people who donít understand business loans or venture investing.

--
^sv
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Thu Oct 2, 2014, 9:03am
Subject: Re: Induction Heating in Coffee - La Fenice Kickstarter Project by Mark Prince

Any updates on this project? The original Kickstarter schedule says shipments are to begin October 2014.

Anyone heard anything ?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Thu Oct 2, 2014, 9:17am
Subject: Re: Induction Heating in Coffee - La Fenice Kickstarter Project by Mark Prince

canuckcoffeeguy Said:

Any updates on this project? The original Kickstarter schedule says shipments are to begin October 2014.

Anyone heard anything ?

Posted October 2, 2014 link

If you go to their online store http://www.lafenicemilano.com/store and click any of the machines there is a note that delivery is April 2015.  I don't know, however, if that is an accurate reflection of the delivery dates of the Kickstarter orders.

Len

showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Induction...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322654008865)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+