Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Project by Mark Prince
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Induction...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Fri May 9, 2014, 12:00am
Subject: Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Project by Mark Prince

Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Project
by Mark Prince

A new project has popped up on Kickstarter that's causing a lot of buzz in the consumer coffee world - the La Fenice Induction Heat Coffee / Espresso Brewer.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 2:54pm
Subject: Re: Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Project

So I've been thinking about this machine a lot the last few days. Having my discussion with the crew showed me that they're very on top of some things, and more 'not quite with the 3rd wave" (gawd, I hate that term) on just a few things.

On the steam wand thing
I get their argument, but at the end of the day, a steam wand is crucial on any machine that delivers real espresso. And I'm not quite sure if they understand the thermodynamics and chemical changes that steaming and microfoaming milk does, as compared to heating up milk in a sauce pan and then frothing it up with a hand mixer (which is pretty much all the solo milk frothers do). Still, I also understand this technology they're pushing does not facilitate making steam. Steam, to be effective and dry, needs to be collected in a chamber (ie boiler) and used. Making steam on the fly (like in a thermoblock) is not ideal and results in slow, wet steam, with more water introduced to the milk.

On the grouphead design
The photos I posted and a few others shows they're still working on the grouphead designs for both the coffee and espresso side. This is probably a good thing - they'll be listening to their kickstarter backers, and will be evolving that design. I feel pretty good myself that they'll get a decent design happening. I do not believe at this point that the grounds-portafilter for espresso will be a pressurized crappy trick, it'll be the real deal. We'll see.

On hot water
I suggested to them on their Kickstarter page they have a dedicated hot water tap as a stretch goal. Instead, they seem to have a unique solution - a simple filter modification (you insert it) into the brew coffee side to turn that side of the machine into a hot water dispenser. That'll work.

On the fit and finish
This will be a challenge, to make it look nearly as good as their computer aided design photos so far. I am slightly concerned that the brass parts (and copper) of the limited edition are plated, and not solid. I don't know how, long term, a brass plated grouphead will hold up. We'll see! :D

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 5:53pm

Mark, addressing your concern about the steam wand:  Would just superheated pressurized air work instead of steam? Is dry steam pretty much just superheated air?

I can see the possiblity of an induction heated pressurized air supply being integrated into their machine using a separate induction heater from their water heater.  It would keep within their all electromagnetic induction theme, likely be much smaller than their water induction heater and they  may be able to hide it out of view soas not to denigrate the lines of the machine.  It would not have the wet steam issue of a thermoblock steamer.

I looked at an outdated patent online ( http://www.google.com/patents/US5350901 ) regarding induction steamers; fairly complex and I would suppose costly to produce.  The patent indicated a type of stainless very tiny holed membrane that separated the resulting steam from water vapor (I suppose to create a dry steam).    

I am thinking that the induction air heater would be much less complex than an induction steamer, much smaller, and less costly to produce.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
MarkPrince

Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 9:58pm

Hrm! That is a pretty good idea. I don't know if they even thought about this, but it'd be another radical thing for them to look into.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat May 10, 2014, 10:45pm

CoffeeRoastersClub Said:

Would just superheated pressurized air work instead of steam? Is dry steam pretty much just superheated air?

Posted May 10, 2014 link

Very unlikely to work satisfactorily. Steam and hot air are very different. As steam cools it changes phase (vapor becomes liquid) and this releases a very large amount of energy.

To get a comparative heating effect with air, it would take a huge amount of it or else it would have to be extraordinarily hot, or both. Not practical.

See this link for more info (but you may have to remove an errant space between the "al" and t.coffee" in the url):

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/al t.coffee/YI53Dsqk_JI/sWob6ypRAAAJ

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Sun May 11, 2014, 6:46am

Thanks for that info Andy.  I believe the temperature side of the equation could be met, and the air pressure side also (maybe that could address the air volume?).  I wonder what the steam pressure is that is coming out of a wand?

If there were any way to superheat the air in such a very small space the only way I can realistically think of doing it would be through a small induction assembly heating a metal tube with a very small interior diameter and supplying air to it with a small air pressure pump.  Those metal induction tubes can get incredibly hot.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 1:16pm
Subject: Re: Induction Heating in Coffee - the La Fenice Kickstarter Pr

I just checked the kickstarter project:   $116,889 pledged of $70,000 goal and 22 more days to go.  Absolutely amazing.  It has the wow factor.

Len

MarkPrince

Posted Mon May 19, 2014, 1:56pm

I am conversing with the company via email, about possible future plans and stretch goals. Looks like the variable temperature stretch (of $120K) will be met, which is great news.

I suggested the following stretch goals

a) some hot water delivery solution (looks like they will do this - but use one of the two groupheads and a special filter holder basket to deliver the hot water, and some setting on the panel to deliver it)

b) cups - either a pair of espresso cups, a pair of coffee (6oz-8oz) cups, or one of each, possibly at a $200,000 stretch goal

c) a tamper - not their dynometric one, but one they have commissioned for this machine, and a well made, but normal tamper. I suggested they talk to Paul Pratt of Cafelat about it. Something simple, branded to them, and only given to KS backers (ie not for sale). Suggested a $500,000 stretch for this one.

Anyone got any realistic, "they can afford it" stretch goals to suggest?

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 7:02am

Looks like the project is getting more interesting.  Will be fun to follow the development of this thing.

Using hot air for steaming just isn't going to work.  We depend on the phase change of the steam back to water otherwise we'd just be blowing big bubbles in the milk.  Try testing this with a steaming pitcher containing cold water, put in the steam wand and turn on the steam low.  You should be able to see steam exit the wand and quickly the bubbles condense to disappear.  If you heat the liquid too much the vapors won't condense and you'll get bubbly or boiled liquid - a disaster with milk.

An induction heated steam setup should work quite well.  It's all about driving the input water at the right volume for instant steam boiling.  Pressure on a normal boiler is usually 1.0-1.3 BAR of pressure.  1 BAR is close to 14.5 PSI so 14.5-19 PSI is the force of your steam at the tip, minus friction from the steam path and nozzle.
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue May 20, 2014, 7:48pm

MarkPrince Said:

Anyone got any realistic, "they can afford it" stretch goals to suggest?

Posted May 19, 2014 link

This machine is the perfect platform for temperature profiling of espresso extractions.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Induction...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.271136045456)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+