Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Crema by James Hoffmann
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Crema by James...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
Author Messages
Philosopher

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Thu Mar 8, 2007, 5:57pm
Subject: Re: Crema by James Hoffmann

alanfrew Said:

Sorry, o Philosopher, but thou art full of it (to use a quaint post-philosophical Aussie  expression.) You have picked up the superficial factors without understanding the deeper ones. Crema alone is a whole lot more than just CO2 and melanoidin. I would recommend reading the books James mentions in his bibliography as a minimum starting position, followed by the purchase of a decent espresso machine and grinder combination and a LOT of really, really fresh coffee.

This statement is a bit like saying that the mere presence of the sun gives no indication of its importance to the continuity of life on earth. In both cases, you need to contemplate not the presence, but the meaning and effects of the absence. Then, Grasshopper, you can go forth into the wide world, portafilter firmly in your grasp, and start doing something other than thought experiments.

Alan

Posted February 14, 2007 link

Your logic is askew o' master.  Your analogy does not necessarily apply.  Is crema actually the source of a good espresso or is it the product of one?  You have appreciated the product but have not yet explained the source.  In other words, you marvel at the presence of life on earth but you think it solely has to do with the presence or absence of the sun.

To quote James Hoffman:

"Illy’s article is an interesting, and the research they have done is excellent. I do, however, dislike the way that the crema of an espresso is treated in a romantic and mystical way. It is merely a foam of the coffee beneath, caused by bubbles of CO2 being trapped by a compound called a melanoidin that acts as a surfactant. The reason that it fades quickly is down to drainage."

Click Here (cosmicvariance.com)

Illy's article can be found at:

http://www.illyusa.com/pr/coffee.pdf

I am not saying that crema is not an important component but maybe more as a diagnostic tool rather than something to be pursued in isolation.
 View Profile Link to this post
maximillion
maximillion
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Barista
Grinder: Cimbali Junior
Roaster: Procter Silex Popper
Posted Fri Jun 12, 2009, 11:27pm

Isn't the tiger flecking on the crema suppose to be the caramelized sugar from the coffee?
Spanaway01
Spanaway01
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Breville 800esxl
Grinder: Breville Iconic Burr
Drip: Kurig K-cup
Roaster: i-Roast 2
Posted Tue Dec 7, 2010, 12:16pm

I found your presentation very interesting. I am a home roaster with a limited bank account. I currently use the iRoast 2 and the Breville Cast 800ESXL with the pressurized basket and a Breville Conical Grinder (grind just short of full Turkish). I have tried several bean varieties and roasts, but cannot seem to get a quantity/quality of crema. I recently roasted up Monsooned Malabar with about 15% Robusta, just as the oils were beginning to show on the beans. I have not particular issues with the taste, except there are varieties I like better than others. Could part of the issue be the roasting profile? Or perhaps it is the combination of roaster and espresso machine.

Thanks again for the article. Quite informative.
kajgyr

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Mar 6, 2014, 9:58pm

Thanks for the info-packed exegesis on crema.  I've been a crema enthusiast for a long time, and when I don't use an Espresso machine, I miss it.   I'm an inventor, thus I turned my attentions to the matter and came up with a hand-held gadget which makes crema from any coffee in seconds.  It's perfect for those who like the AeroPress or French presses.  I'd be glad for any feedback on the concept.  A video of the prototype can be found at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2m1HAx_pJI0
showing page 5 of 5 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Crema by James...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379063844681)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+