Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Officina Rancilio Museum Visit, Road Reports
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Officina...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Mar 22, 2011, 12:00am
Subject: Officina Rancilio Museum Visit, Road Reports

Officina Rancilio Museum Visit
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Report on the Rancilio Museum in Parabiago, Italy, known as Officina Rancilio 1926, located in a new building standing where the original Rancilio factory was located.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Weasel

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 11:51am
Subject: Re: Officina Rancilio Museum Visit, Road Reports

Thanks for posting, very interesting. I am curious about the lever machine you compare to Gaggia Crema machines. It looks like it could be the base of a ,40's era jukebox. Do you have a more complete shot of the machine? Nice to see all those vintage designs. The 1950's Horizontal reminded me of my great grandmother's car.
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Wed Mar 23, 2011, 6:18pm

Please bring me back a Ducale, it would look terrific in my kitchen.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
MarshallF
MarshallF

Espresso: LM GS/3 MP
Grinder: Mahlkonig ProM; Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Bodum ESantos
Drip: Clever Dripper
Posted Fri Mar 25, 2011, 4:32pm

Thanks for the beautiful report, Mark. One more thing. Didn't they have a "Mark Prince/Silvia Shrine" somewhere?
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:20am

MarshallF Said:

Thanks for the beautiful report, Mark. One more thing. Didn't they have a "Mark Prince/Silvia Shrine" somewhere?

Posted March 25, 2011 link

My entire visit, everyone from Rancilio was thanking me for all the early "rah rah" stuff that I did for the Silvia. It was non-stop. I even met Silvia Rancilio (who the machine is named after) and she was gracious and thankful.

I also got asked why I thought the Silvia was so popular. I told them three things.

1. It was really the first "serious looking" and serious built home machine of the current era - when the Silvia came out, you had the choice of aluminum boiler Gaggias, plastic Saecos, or what have you - the Silvia kicked things up a knotch.
  2. Andy Schecter and Greg Scace. Very simple - they put PIDs in a Silvia and change espresso. For a time there, Rancilio Silvias were the most stable temperature machines on the planet. So much came out of that - that rep (stable), hackable, and a kind of subtle nod of approval from the manufacturer / suppliers that, yes, go ahead and hack the Silvia
  3. Resale value. The Silvia's resale value is quite good. People who bought $395 Silvias often sell them these days for $500 used and get it.

And....

I really hammered home the point that the Silvia needs a successor, and the Silvia needs some new tricks.

Silvia with new tricks
I really tried to drive home the point that the Silvia should have a factory PID option. I think the message was heard.

Silvia's upgrade
Again, I hammered home the point about brand loyalty, love for the Silvia, and a sadness that Rancilio doesn't offer any kind of step up machine from the Silvia. The point was heard - and heard, and heard again. They even started discussing with me some possible configurations for a "Super Silvia"

And, I hammered home the point (as did all the attendees) about grinders and how they universally suck. Their engineers were listening.

Lastly. Guess how many Silvias Rancilio sold in 2010? I was freaked out by the number: 22,000 units worldwide. Their biggest year ever. Previous year was 17,000.

WOW.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Sat Mar 26, 2011, 11:23am

andys Said:

Please bring me back a Ducale, it would look terrific in my kitchen.

Posted March 23, 2011 link

The Ducale is quite awesome, esp. in person. We talked to Rancilio about possibly doing their new Class 7 machine (debuting at SCAA Houston) - the dual lever model (they are still doing levers) with a Ducale Special Edition body style. They liked the idea.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
thing1

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Mar 29, 2011, 6:55am

Thanks for the great report.  And your photos are beautiful - great work with the camera!
jpscoffee

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 5:32am

Mark, great shots and great descriptions!
jimmygreen75

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 10:37am

Interesting report, thanks
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Officina...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.292940855026)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+