Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
An Espresso Glossary by Mark Prince
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > An Espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Enkerli
Enkerli
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (At cafés, not at home)
Grinder: Hario hand grinders
Vac Pot: (Moka Pot) Bialetti Brikka
Drip: Steep and release pour-over
Roaster: iRoast-2
Posted Sun Aug 1, 2004, 1:06pm
Subject: Other Drink Terms?

Maybe there should be a separate glossary or even an in-depth piece on drink terms. IMHO, it gets especially tricky with all the coffee drinks with frothed milk. Even latte and cappuccino aren't that easy in some places. There doesn't seem to be a general standard and you may get customer expecting something and getting something else. Of course, in bilingual French/English contexts, "au lait" can be quite confusing as most French-speakers would still expect it to be espresso-based (and similar to a latte) while English-speakers might either think it's drip-based or involves two separate cups with espresso and frothed milk.

Other terms I'd personally like more info on include (Swiss) "renversé," (Viennese) "mélange," and (Parisian) "café crème." All are rather similar to an American "latte" but they're somewhat different. Or, at least, are perceived as different by locals. Surprisingly enough, Google doesn't return anything very insightful with some of these terms.

And no, the definition of "cafè crème" in this glossary doesn't correspond to the "café crème" in French songs about Saint-Germain-des-prés.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
expobar

Posted Sun Aug 1, 2004, 5:17pm
Subject: Re: Other Drink Terms?

about au laits.... please please please put in the phonetics, i hate people saying "aww late"  instead of "oh lay"
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Aug 1, 2004, 7:39pm
Subject: Re: An Espresso Glossary by Mark Prince

Drumlin72 Said:

This is GRRRRRRREEEAAAT!  (think Tony the Tiger)

Maybe when you finish with it it could be published as a book and sold with proceeds going to CoffeeKids

Posted July 26, 2004 link

To be honest, if I ever do a book, I think I'll keep the proceeds myself :) I do a lot for CK, and want to do even more, but a book? Damn, there's a limit even to my generosity :) :)

BTW, the article I wrote for this year's Coffee Almanac by Fresh Cup? I'm donating the proceeds from that (incl. the photo payment) to CoffeeKids.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 7:27am
Subject: "Au lait" Pronunciation

In French, it's somewhat like "oh leh" with the "eh" being like the 'e' in "bet" but some French people don't distinguish between "ay" and "eh"...
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CoffeeMe
CoffeeMe

Espresso: Brewtus II
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 9:30am

I can imagine the French and Italians laughing at us pronouching their terms :-D

By the way, any Italian on CG would like to tell us how to pronounce "Ristretto"? Different people tend to pronounce it differently.  Also, I also noticed that there are a lot of pictures attached to postings, but haven't come across a "wav" (sound) file. Maybe this is a good starting point ;)
expobar

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 10:36am
Subject: Re: "Au lait" Pronunciation

Enkerli Said:

In French, it's somewhat like "oh leh" with the "eh" being like the 'e' in "bet" but some French people don't distinguish between "ay" and "eh"...

Posted August 2, 2004 link

Thats the canadian french pronunciation.  In french french, it's eyyyy (like fonzie)
cafedj

Espresso: Bialetti, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky doserless
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: Behmor Brazen
Roaster: Counter Culture
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 12:08pm

This page has a link to a wav file that answers the question.

Click Here (french.about.com)

Click on "lait" in the second line of sounds.

Much more leh than lay, and short rather than drawn out.

If you actually pronounced it that way in an American coffee shop I'm not sure you would be understood.  "O lay" is probably the most effective Americanized approximation.
expobar

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 12:17pm

cafedj Said:

This page has a link to a wav file that answers the question.

Click Here (french.about.com)

Click on "lait" in the second line of sounds.

If you actually pronounced it that way in an American coffee shop I'm not sure you would be understood.  "O lay" is probably the most effective Americanized approximation.

It sounds like "lay" to me.  Oh well, any way that doesn't pronounce the T in it is good with me.
Enkerli
Enkerli

Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 12:40pm

cafedj Said:

Thanks for the link. And this one's really standard French (supposedly from Touraine) as opposed to some regions of France (including Paris) where some people will pronounce "les" and "lait" the same way (somewhat similar to English "lay," though usually shorter).
And you're right, "Oh lay" is the way most English-speakers pronounce it and there's no confusion on this. Even if you were to say "olette," people would eventually understand, though they may smile when you say it.
Veritas
Veritas
Expertise: Pro Barista
Posted Mon Aug 2, 2004, 10:55pm

Great glossary.  I agree with the those who would like to see an exhaustive (and dynamically updated) glossary.  I believe that it's especially important to include cutting edge terminology, for the simple fact that there are many newbies (and even moderate cg's) who don't understand these terms.  Also, as a minor point, you've included the definitions of a "pressurized filter" and a "pressurized portafilter".  Hate to rain on your day, but these are pretty much redundant definitions.

-Veritas
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > An Espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281512975693)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+