Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List 2012 - Under $75 by Mark Prince
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > CoffeeGeek...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 1, 1970, 12:00am
Subject: CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List 2012 - Under $75 by Mark Prince

CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List 2012 - Under $75
by Mark Prince

Looking for last minute gift suggestions for that coffee-enthused person in your life? Looking for suggestions to give to that relative who buys you powdered coffees each year? Have a look at our suggestions for gifts under $30 and under $75!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
robertl
robertl
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Evolution
Grinder: Baratza Preciso, Hario slim...
Vac Pot: Yama stovetop
Drip: CCD, Aeropress, Hario V60,...
Roaster: Hottop B
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 10:07am
Subject: Re: CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List 2012 - Under $75 by Mark Prince

Mark can you comment on the metal filter in the Silverton Pourover brewing system. How well did it work, was there a lot of sludge in the bottom of the carafe? Would a Kone filter fit in it or what size paper filter would fit? Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 11:13am

Nice list. Re: the Porlex, however, there's no way it's "...the best hand crank grinder you can buy today." Or am I being too obtuse in not reading "within this price range" into the claim? ;)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 4:32pm

jbviau Said:

Nice list. Re: the Porlex, however, there's no way it's "...the best hand crank grinder you can buy today." Or am I being too obtuse in not reading "within this price range" into the claim? ;)

Posted November 26, 2012 link

Hehe. Talk to Andrew about that. He thinks it is the best one out there right now. I am guessing he doesn't know about the Pharos from Orphan Espresso, or this this beast: HG One.

BTW, this list is not complete yet, which is why I haven't been publicizing it yet. I've still got a half dozen products to add.

Mark

PS. Fixed that for you:

This is probably the best (portable) hand crank grinder you can buy today. (ed.note - well, there is the Pharos and the massive HG One... but I'm not sure if either is truly portable)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
MarkPrince

Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 4:34pm

robertl Said:

Mark can you comment on the metal filter in the Silverton Pourover brewing system. How well did it work, was there a lot of sludge in the bottom of the carafe? Would a Kone filter fit in it or what size paper filter would fit? Thanks

It's a fine steel mesh filter. On par with any permanent filter you'd get in an auto drip machine. It's not a Kone, but its not a mesh sieve like a press pot filter either. Does the job. There is sediment, but not much.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 6:38pm

Thanks for posting this list; it is always fun to see what you folks have chosen. And thanks to you, I just bought a pair of the new Illy Glass espresso cups.

BTW, the Chemex coffee maker is displayed at the Museum of Modern Art, not the Metropolitan!

(edit) This is OT, but the Chemex display at MOMA also includes a gigantic water reservoir suspended over the actual brewer. The reservoir looks like it held several gallons of water, and is equipped a dispensing valve at the bottom.

andys: chemex_3376_L.jpg
(Click for larger image)

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
jbviau
jbviau

Grinder: Preciso / LIDOs
Drip: Trifecta MB / Eva Solo...
Posted Mon Nov 26, 2012, 7:52pm

MarkPrince Said:

Hehe. Talk to Andrew about that. He thinks it is the best one out there right now. I am guessing he doesn't know about the Pharos from Orphan Espresso, or this beast: HG One.

Don't forget about OE's LIDO and the Portaspresso Rosco and Rossa, all of which are portable! Ok, I'm done fussing now. +1 on Andy's thanks for your work on the list.
java_purist

Grinder: Hario Mini Mill Slim
Drip: Bodum 3-cup French Press
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 2:46pm

I clicked on the product link for the Silverton Pourover brewing system, and the price shown is $99, so you might have to move this listing into your next pricing category. That low price was just too good to be true!
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 3:23pm

That's a shame R c, because when I checked it out the same day Mark posted it & about 2 days ago., I had the original webpage price of $65.00.. {:'-(

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Nov 30, 2012, 5:04pm

java_purist Said:

I clicked on the product link for the Silverton Pourover brewing system, and the price shown is $99, so you might have to move this listing into your next pricing category. That low price was just too good to be true!

Posted November 30, 2012 link

Well this is certainly disappointing. They added the product to their website on November 4, 2012. The price was $65 since that listing; it's not like it was languishing on their website with old stock for a year or two and with the sudden popularity they realised they forgot to update the price.  I know a lot of interest has been generated specifically for this product (I can view the click thrus) and it would be very disappointing if the vendor took this opportunity of increased interest to gather even more profits per sale.

I've emailed Northwest Glass to find out what's going on. In the meantime, I will remove it from this listing. I'm not sure yet if I'll add it to the under $500 list. It will depend on Northwest Glass' response.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > CoffeeGeek...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.364080905914)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+