Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Coffee Shop: Hot or Not! by Nathan Slabaugh
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Coffee Shop: Hot...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
tylerscott
tylerscott
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Fri Sep 28, 2012, 7:35am
Subject: Re: Coffee Shop: Hot or Not! by Nathan Slabaugh

May I ask what coffee shop in Chattanooga you were referring to? I've been to all the coffee shops in Chatt and am quite curious which one would do something so horribly. :o)
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeesnob101

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Mon Oct 1, 2012, 7:52am

I was absolutely HORRIFIED when I read our city in your blog, yes we do have a couple coffee shops that aren't up to par in my opinion, but the rest of the city need not suffer their stupidity!!! We have in fact at least 7 local roasters within 20 miles of the city and have more than enough coffee shops each representing a roaster. I think if you came back you should visit either Thrive Cafe or the Camphouse  for a taste of quality coffee and baristas with knowledge to back it up!! Please acknowledge this so that everyone knows that we don't ALL do that. Thank you, cafe manager of Thrive Studio and Cafe.
RichLayton

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Espresso: Bezerra BZ-70 custom
Grinder: NS
Drip: Technovorm Moccamaster
Roaster: NuView
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 11:04am

Had to chuckle throughout this one, as wandering through local coffee shops is our favorite way to "see the world." An accidental stop at Vivace in '93 on our first visit to the NW was the espresso epiphany that inspired us to do lighter roasts, fine tune our blend and eventually purchase a commercial machine for home use. Of the great list Nathan put together, my #1 is portafilter laying on the drain pan, followed by the sad bleating of oversteamed milk. We turn around immediately and keep moving. Now, the world needs a similar list for drive-thru locations, as it is harder to spot the warning signs!
TonyVan

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: GS/3, La Pavoni
Grinder: Macap M7K, Rocky
Drip: Kone
Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012, 11:52pm

RichLayton Said:

...Now, the world needs a similar list for drive-thru locations, as it is harder to spot the warning signs!

Posted October 8, 2012 link

That one's pretty much self-defining!

It's a bad warning sign to arrive to
A cafe selling java by drive-thru.
  It's ok to scoff. See,
  If you want decent coffee,
The inside is surely a dive too.
mforbes

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bialetti 2-cup Brikka
Grinder: Zassenhaus 169 DG, Hario...
Drip: Chemex, Aeropress (w Coava...
Posted Sun Nov 4, 2012, 7:40am
Subject: My coffeshop litmus test...

My coffee shop litmus test is to ask the barista: "How is your espresso today?"

If the barista admits that the espresso is not always perfect but that today it is great, then go for it.  I have never had a bad shot when I received this type of answer.  It means that they: 1) realize that the quality fluctuates, 2) that they are tasting the shots, 3) and that they can contrast a good and a bad shot.  (Some people have never had a great espresso and so may actually think that what they are serving is "always good".)  It has also worked in the occasional shop where the coffee was actually quite good, but the barista did not know precisely ristretto meant.

If the answer is that it is not so good today, you can always get a cappuccino: usually even an off shot from a barista who answers this way will work well with milk.

The failure of this method is the answer "It's always good", which is inconclusive. Sometimes it has been followed by a great shot, but has also been followed by swill.

The absolute worst answer I have experienced to date: "I don't know, I don't drink espresso."  The follow up thought was: "Well no wonder, this tastes terrible!".

You can always gracefully back out by ordering a hot chocolate, or a bottle of fruit juice.

(I used to ask for a macchiatto and back out if there was any mention of the word caramel (unless it was in the phrase "You don't mean a "caramel" macchiatto do you?") but this as not as reliable.)
grayn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 3:59am

All I can say is WOW, I am hooked. I will never drink anything but YOUR organic coffee. Thank you"

http://greencoffeebeandangers.com/
grayn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Nov 17, 2012, 7:09am

wow, great information about weight loss diets, i did not know that coffee bean can help loose weight,thanks for these facts.

http://greencoffeebeandangers.com/
CoffeeLoversMag
CoffeeLoversMag
Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 10, 2013, 4:00am

This post is very entertaining but really true coffee shop observations. Just want to add some from the not lists based on experience:

∑         It is a big disappointment when owner or manager scold or shout to employees while there are customers.

∑         Hot temperature in the environment of the shop. Whatís the use of drinking a hot coffee if the ambience is already hot.

∑         Never take cards as payment.  Yes, there are still coffee shops that are outdated.

∑         Too many questions when I order. It is really annoying.

∑         No online menu. Itís already 2013.

Did you know...? Dark roast coffees actually have less caffeine than lighter roasts due to the fact that the process of roasting burns off caffeine.
www.coffeeloversmag.com/theMagazine
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
reillyse

Expertise: Pro Roaster

Posted Mon Mar 25, 2013, 9:49pm

I don't understand how bad coffee shops stay in business... it's so obvious how bad their product is, how can they even think its worth buying let alone selling
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Coffee Shop: Hot...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.217834949493)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+