Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
10 Years Ago Today by Mark Prince
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > 10 Years Ago...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 2:24pm
Subject: Re: 10 Years Ago Today by Mark Prince

Thanks everyone for the kind words - here, on twitter, on facebook, on google plus. It is really, really appreciated.

I wish I could do a heckuva lot more for the website than my time allows. It's one of my biggest "guilt trips" every single day. Probably the main reason for my hair going gray as well ;) I've promised a lot regarding this site over the past few years and failed to deliver for a variety of reasons; stuff is still very much in the works right now, but I'll keep most of it to myself until I have more to deliver.

That said, we should have a lot of new content starting in January. I've hired a new Content Editor, and so far she's working out good. She's lining up several regular columnists and contributing writers and should get things rolling after Christmas.

Best regards and happy holidays everyone!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Sylvain

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mahlkonig K30 Vario
Drip: Technivorm
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 7:12pm

I was there on the beginning and i was really happy to be choosen for the beta web site.  I dont write as often as i want but i read a lot.  The passion for espresso is growing and Mark, you are a great part of it. Many thanks.  Sylvain
bradinvancouver
bradinvancouver

Espresso: LM GB5
Grinder: E-Robur
Drip: Clover/Fetco
Roaster: Gothot from afar
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 7:54pm

Congrats Mark! It would be interesting to do a followup article about all the industry pros that actually got their start reading this website. I know I sure did - thanks for the guiding light back in the day.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Wed Dec 21, 2011, 9:19pm

Hi Mark:

Congrats on an amazing and dynamic first ten years, and best wishes for the years to come.

I was one of those folks who worried for alt.coffee when you announced coffeegeek.com; because of that, I stayed away for a while. But as you say, everything worked out just fine in the end.

Back then, I much appreciated your site's easy addition of photographs, I appreciated the step by step guides. And the best thing was, after I said something really stupid on the forums, coffeegeek.com (unlike alt.coffee) allowed me to go back and delete it!  :-)

Actually, even better than that feature has been your steady, even-handed moderation of the forums, and for me, enjoying your support and loyalty as a true friend.

I salute you, sir!

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Dinoalexit
Dinoalexit

Posted Thu Dec 22, 2011, 1:35am

Hi Mark!

Reading your a decade long journey was so inspiring!
I happen to be one of the newest members and now have the privilege of reading the history.

Merry Christmas!

Dinora
 View Profile Link to this post
MyronJ
MyronJ

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rocky (Zassenhaus  Mill Box...
Vac Pot: Aeropress..does it count??
Drip: Bialetti Kaliffa-needs a...
Roaster: IROAST, FZ-RR 700 (Havitush)
Posted Thu Dec 22, 2011, 1:35am

Nice seeing some of the old faces...(non seemed to have aged in the past few years :)
Wishing i could "like" your posts here.
espresso_jim
espresso_jim

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Dec 25, 2011, 10:34am

Mark,
Congratulations on the first 10 years and looking forward to the next ten. I've been with you for the past nine years even though my doctor at the time nixed my caffeine intake. Long story short, my new doctors figured out what was going on with me and it wasn't coffee. I now have a new espresso machine and grinder and am happily drinking good coffee. While not as active on line as I once was, I am still here and look forward to each visit. Keep up the great work, Mark. The first web site I went to when getting back into the espresso arena was Coffeegeek. The site's information base and consumer/professional support is second to none.

Jim
shaneo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2011, 7:03pm

Mark, congratulations on 10 years. Has it really been that long? Wow.

Shane
ronpistolero

Espresso: Anita by Quickmill
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless Doserred,...
Posted Tue Dec 27, 2011, 7:54pm

Congratulations and many thanks, Mark. With very few coffee resources locally (am based in the Philippines) it was in coffeegeek.com that I learned so much through the various inputs of the members.  And the reviews within helped me decide on my espresso equipment  in 2005.  Appreciating coffee is one thing; getting involved in making good coffee makes the whole experience a lot more satisfying. Kudos to you, Mark.
GaryH
GaryH

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Dec 28, 2011, 1:15pm

Mark,
Congratulations and many thanks for 10 years of coffeegeek. Great articles and coffeegeek reviews. Lots of changes for the good during the past ten years. Ten years ago I could not get any good espresso in the San Francisco bay area and only had good espresso once a year during my annual visit to Portland and Seattle. Today in the bay area, as well as in Los Angeles, etc., good coffee is readily available. During the past ten years the internet has grown a lot too, and as a result information about third wave coffee is unfortunately scattered all over the place. It's time consuming to visit the various coffee blogs, and each coffee house has their own Facebook account which is time consuming to read through to check if anything interesting is going on. Currently my number one pet peeve is the difficulty of selecting a good roasted coffee from the many that are currently available. I pick a bag of coffee which flavor description sounds interesting to me, but when brewing coffee with it at home it is still pretty much a crap shoot how it will turn out. Some coffees are surprising and brew great coffee while others are just disappointing. It's not practical to visit a coffee house and have them make coffee with every available coffee they offer and then I select just one to make coffee with at home. So ten years ago I couldn't get good locally roasted coffee, today the choices are overwhelming and frustrating.
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > 10 Years Ago...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.224478006363)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+