Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List - Over $60 Suggestions by Mark Prince
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > CoffeeGeek...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Jan 1, 1970, 12:00am
Subject: CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List - Over $60 Suggestions by Mark Prince

CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List - Over $60 Suggestions
by Mark Prince

Here's our suggestions on some great gifts ranging from $60 up to several hundred dollars - If you want to get that special CoffeeGeek in your life something really special, this is the list to peruse!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Fri Dec 11, 2009, 11:08am
Subject: Re: CoffeeGeek Holiday Gift List - Over $60 Suggestions by Mark Prince

My only comment is that Mrs. Claus is definitely the better half of the dynamic duo.

Love the pic!

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
Mikerman

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Jan 17, 2010, 6:41pm

The Illy Kentridge art collector's cup collection seems to be a nice art cup collection, but a shame on Illy and Illy/U.S. for making it impossible for consumers to know what they are spending a considerable amount on.  Specifically, there are 3 or 4 very different design sets of these cups (including an animal set, a coffee equipment set, and a nudes set).  However, Illy will not let a consumer select which design set the consumer wishes to order.  Nor do website stores in the U.S. list the design offered for sale (some website stores in Europe seemingly do not have this "problem").  Rather, one is left to order blind, and may end up with a design set that the consumer does not want.  Even discussing this issue directly with Illy/U.S.'s so-called customer service would not resolve this basic issue.  A consumer-antagonistic and art-unfriendly practice, which has led to the unfortunate loss of at least one sale for Illy ...
 View Profile Link to this post
CloudGaze

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 18, 2010, 9:12am

Just a heads up on the Ice Drip Coffee Brewer. I placed an order with Coffee Snob after I read about it in this article, and they charged my credit card immediately. They never shipped the order and I tried to contact them using their "contact us" form to no avail. I tried their phone numbers and all of them were disconnected (including an alternative number given by my bank).

I contacted my credit card company and they are currently in the process of disputing the order and claiming back the money (takes up to 45 days).

I know it happens with online purchases but that was specifically disappointing as it was a surprise Christmas gift.

On any case, I strongly suggest taking that one off the list before others fall in the same trap.

Cheers,
CHenry

Espresso: Olympia Express Maximatic
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Electronic Type...
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Feb 27, 2010, 9:47am
Subject: Krups XP7260

I have an enthusiasm for superautos, probably out of gadget fascination, but also because I see this area of coffee technology offering the most interesting prospect for quality improvement. There isn't much new in E61 and semiautos; not so for superautos. Better, smaller, cleaner, and cheaper are all future possibilities with this kind of machine.

I bought one of these machines for my (small) office and it has so far worked exactly as advertised. I have an E61 Andreja Premium and Mazzer Mini E setup at home, and am used to better-than-cafe results, and this little superauto has so far greatly exceeded my expectations on quality of both espresso and capucchino. I expected a compromise in quality for the size and cost of this little machine. The espresso was significantly better than what I tried with a Jura Capresso at kitchen stores (which unfortunately demo with stale Illy beans, so there are some other possible confounding factors.) Nevertheless, for one-fifth the price of the Jura-Capressos, this Krups really shines.

Now don't get me wrong, the pinnacle result of the pudding-thick and almost sweet crema from the best semiauto production isn't to be expected, but a decent and hot mahogany crema in the cup wasn't either, and this Krups gives that with the Mayorga Colombian beans I bought at Sam's Club.

I give this a solid recommendation, well worth the money.
KMun
KMun

Vac Pot: A couple of Balancing...
Posted Sun Mar 7, 2010, 2:43am

Balancing Siphon Coffee Maker - $150 and above

I am a fan of gadgets and love coffee, though not at the level where some talk about it like wine connoisseur shares about their favorite wine.  However, I really like the Balancing Siphon coffee maker and the first time I saw it, I fell in love with it.  In my mission to spread this joy, I had started a website to carry a few different models.  They make perfect gifts to the coffee lover.  The only down side to this unique coffee maker is that, it takes a little bit of effort to clean it up after each use.  But with good care, it should give you many hours of great coffee!
Mikerman

Posted Sat Nov 13, 2010, 12:44am

Received a 2-cup set of the illy Crystal espresso cups last week, and I must say, they truly are elegant (without being fussy).  The frosted glass adds a touch of class, alternating with the clear glass; the frosted saucers likewise are nice, including with their etched coffee flower design (which I was a bit unsure about, from pictures).  I was a bit concerned, before receiving the cups, as to their thickness--I like the thickness of the standard illy cups.  I'm happy to report that the crystal cups, while not thick, are not thin, either--they are comfortably and solidly in the middle.  Also nice is the current price:  2 for $40 in a gift box (better than the 6-set price listed in the article above).

The only quibble I would make is that the boxing for the cups is not as elegant as the cups themselves--a brown, corrugated, thick cardboard with large cutouts to see the cups and saucers (protected by removable cardboard inserts), with red accents and a red ribbon, and a small, attractive booklet hanging by a red cord.  To get at the cups, you pry the 2 halves of the boxing apart, cutting the contents stickers holding the halves together.  Nicer and more fitting for crystal cups of this type would be something not necessarily made of brown, corrugated cardboard, and that could be opened and closed more easily and repeatedly.  Also, the boxing does not show off the alternating clear and frosted stripes of the cups, and the booklet is more of a general illy info. piece than something devoted to the crystal cups themselves.

Packaging pickiness aside, this set is perfect as a gift for whatever occasion.  I see these cups as nice as illy art collection cups and place them in that same category--definitely for an illy cup collector and collection, or as a start for one.
Droshi

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 2:00pm

Was just looking over this list again, would be nice if there was a list similar to this with just things on sale at all times of the year. Just a suggestion as I don't shop during the regular holiday season. :)
parkerto
parkerto

Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 3:08pm

Just sent MyPressi back after the 4 cartridges I received on order would not install correctly.  I got a total yield of 2 double shots out of 4 cartridges...ugh!  That becomes an expensive tutorial when you are also wasting a $20 bag of coffee.  I will stick with my Aeropress for travel and do espresso out of the home and cafe:)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > CoffeeGeek...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259249925613)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+