Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Thoughts and Theories on Iced Coffee by Mark Prince
Green Unroasted Coffee
Free shipping. Save 15% on variety pack, use 'variety' at checkout
www.madbeanscoffee

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Thoughts and...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Sep 10, 2011, 1:00am
Subject: Thoughts and Theories on Iced Coffee by Mark Prince

Thoughts and Theories on Iced Coffee
by Mark Prince

Iced coffee is a very "hot" topic this summer with many people looking for ways to brew it, and brew it as best as possible. We take an indepth look into what makes a good iced coffee.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
jdominy

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: AeroPress, Chemex
Roaster: Dilworth Coffee
Posted Sun Sep 11, 2011, 2:32pm
Subject: Re: Thoughts and Theories on Iced Coffee by Mark Prince

Here's my method for brewing iced coffee. Super easy, flavorful.
Click Here (jasondominy.tumblr.com)
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 11, 2011, 2:35pm

jdominy Said:

Here's my method for brewing iced coffee. Super easy, flavorful.
Click Here (jasondominy.tumblr.com)

Posted September 11, 2011 link

Argh.

I was going to quote you (ie, Jason Dominy at Batdorf's method) in the article too, but forgot. Glad you posted it here.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
Netphilosopher

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Sep 13, 2011, 11:58am

View Profile Link to this post
RJ_Bat

Expertise: Just starting

Grinder: OE Pharos
Drip: FP, Aeropress
Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011, 4:38pm

Thanks for the iced coffee articles!  I've never developed a tolerance for hot beverages so the only way I enjoy
coffee is iced.

I have trouble getting consistency with my hot brewing (Aeropress/French Press) and pouring over ice.
Ice melting rate is variable based on brew parameters and it's hard to control how much melted ice dilutes
the concentrate.  I often take my drinks outside for a walk or drive, so environmental temperature is an important factor, too.

However, most of my hot brews over ice are still very enjoyable and I never add cream or sweeteners.
I've tried coffee ice cubes, but it was messy and I think freezing hurt the flavor, too.

I sometimes use cold brewing when I have beans past their prime or mediocre beans to begin with,
but I prefer hot brewed concentrate when I have good, fresh beans.
lifeandpeace
lifeandpeace

Espresso: Arrarex Caravel
Grinder: BUNN G1, Zassenhaus knee
Vac Pot: Cory / Hario / Silex
Drip: cloth, glass Hario V60;...
Roaster: RK Drum, WBP II
Posted Sat Sep 17, 2011, 10:09pm

Thanks, Mark, for a thorough article on a "divisive" topic. I, too, love iced Americanos. I think they epitomize what iced coffee can be.

When I was working in coffee in LA, I frequently tested iced espresso/Americanos. Co-workers and I consistently (and blindly) found too-quickly chilled espresso to have that "shock." Sourness. Twang, tinny-ness, whatever we call it.

When I would pull espresso for an iced Americano, I likewise found better results by building the drink in stages. I would pull the shots into a small amount of tepid water. I would then slowly add a bit more tepid water before slipping in ice, piece at a time. Balance.

www.lampmode.com
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Mon Sep 19, 2011, 9:33pm

Iced Americanos are best, followed by iced Aeropressings. I also love mine almost "elixer" strength.

Something I've noticed but is rarely discussed: how to drink an iced coffee. Not to be doctrinaire, but consider a coffee which, served hot, has excellent aromatics. In general, icing destroys that. Furthermore, the taste buds are anesthetized by the cold.

The trick is to let the coffee warm on the palate before swallowing. Once it's warmed to near body temperature, the aromatics are released. This yields both the refreshing cool of an iced beverage and the sensory warmth properly associated with coffee.

How along anything is in the mouth definitely figures into the experience. Yet it's so rarely discussed. We talk about wet time with a grind, yet we never talk about time on the palate.

Personally, I think it matters.

When my iced coffee -- often lasting over an hour in a proper cup -- becomes somewhat diluted by the ice, if I'm in a hot environment and sweating, well, at that point I quaff it as if it were iced tea -- fast.

Savor while it's concentrated, gulp it when it thins out. Iced coffee on a hot day.    :-)
fjm

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Anita/Quickmill
Grinder: Macap M4 (want new stepless)
Posted Thu Sep 22, 2011, 6:01pm

For all of us espresso junkies - aren't we ready to toss out what's left and pull another double if it sits more than a minute or so?
Heat "makes" the espresso and it gets bitter-funky fast when it cools...

For coffee - I guess I've experienced a nice mellowing flavor after it cools a little - but any more than a little and the flavor seems off.

I just can't seem to get into anything that is a cold/iced coffee drink - maybe Ive just never had a good one.
parkerto
parkerto
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Hario Mini Mill
Vac Pot: Aeropress
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Nov 16, 2011, 2:41pm

I have tried all these methods and for me the two best ways are pouring directly over ice to cool the process and lock in the flavors and to cold brew at room temperature in a Ball Jar for 8-12 hours while stirring the grounds in with a wooden spoon periodically.  Both are far better than double strength iced coffee which, regrettably, many cafes still do.  And you DO NOT need to buy some ultra expensive show piece like the Hario Ice Drip or Belgian Ice Coffee Drip (unless you want to for fun) to get a superior cup of ice coffee.
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Tue Jan 31, 2012, 12:33am

First, Mark, you looked older than I first time came here.  Many years past, and we all had been in the coffee industry to work hard.

I had no experience with cold brewed coffee, but only about iced coffee.
In general, we do not treat those iced coffee as real coffee drinks, but only some iced drinks.  So, even if they had no coffee like taste, they can be ok for clients as a kind of iced drink for cooling down and water support for themselves.
But, with only one exception, that is the iced espresso, which is short and cold as well as tasty as espresso can be if only the espresso is well made.

Peter

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Thoughts and...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.312454938889)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+