Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Can These Filters Change the World of Espresso? by Mark Prince
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Can These...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 4:45pm
Subject: Re: Can These Filters Change the World of Espresso? by Mark Prince

I had some correspondence with an incredibly busy Vince Fedele this morning (he's at the SCAA and swamped with the attention these are getting). I went to bat for my fellow Canadians on shipping. Here's what Vince wrote:

There is a problem with USPS integration into (our) wordpress software and the designers who initially set it up are no longer available to use at the moment. As such, it is UPS only for international shipments.

HOWEVER for Canadians ordering, what I can offer is this: Place the order and pay the full amount (including UPS fees); in a note on the order form (or via email) request shipping via USPS (make sure you provide your order number!!! important!!!) and we will ship it via USPS Priority post and refund you the difference in shipping costs.

This workaround should give you cheaper shipping, but more importantly, avoid UPS's bullcrap fees and such at the door. I have a feeling that VST will remedy this soon on their forms. If anyone with good wordpress experience knows how to handle USPS / UPS stuff, I'm sure Vince would like to talk to you and work something out.

Also please note, quantities are extremely limited until at least June. There are no 14/15g baskets till then, and a very limited number of 17/18g and 21/22g baskets.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Joel_B
Joel_B
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 5:11pm

MarkPrince Said:

Vince also explained the taper in each hole cut is very integral to fluid dynamics. I actually can't recall too much about that discussion, but I do recall if it is a straight wall (ie, each hole has a straight, vertical surface, no taper) liquid flow will plug up.

Posted April 30, 2011 link

Interesting and makes sense.  By looking at a standard basket, the bottom side of the holes are really flared.  There's such a wide variety of tooling and processes, but it's very possible it involves q slight extrusion or perhaps a tooling setup that gives a dimpled hole.

MarkPrince Said:

I'd answer the last question in Joel's post by saying: the taste difference CAN be substantial. Plus as Andy pointed out, these baskets are designed for a longer use before failures. He showed me several examples of baskets that have failed under cafe use.

Thanks for responding Mark. I have to say I'm a little surprised that the cup would change so much, but I was also surprised how much different a super jolly was from a m4, so what do I know?  Yes, in a cafe environment, the extended life certainly helps warrant the cost.
 View Profile Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 7:39pm

Joel_B Said:

But I have to ask, is there really that much in the cup difference to warrant nearly 3 times the cost?

Mark answered this quite definitively, but let me put it another way. The typical home espresso aficionado has probably invested $500-$5000 in an espresso machine, $300-$1500 in a grinder, and spends $500-$1500 a year on coffee. And you're worried about spending $25 on a filter? It's a hell of lot cheaper upgrade than a new grinder or espresso machine, and it might make more of an improvement.

kevlar Said:

Ok so if these baskets will fit an E61 grouphead but one of the design parameters being that with the correct dose in each basket it leaves a defined amount of space between the top of the puck and the dispersion screen specific to a La Marzocco machine. The problem then being with an E61 grouphead that the top of the puck would be too close to the dispersion screen.

I guess what I posted above still wasn't clear. Not all E61 groups have the same dispersion screen clearance, but I believe they all can be made comparable to LM machines in this regard with the proper selection of gaskets or gasket spacers.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Joel_B
Joel_B

Espresso: Astra Mega II
Grinder: Mazzer SJ, Virtuoso
Vac Pot: Yama 5 cup
Drip: nope, french press
Roaster: Behmor, WP, BBQ drum
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 8:34pm

andys Said:

Mark answered this quite definitively, but let me put it another way. The typical home espresso aficionado has probably invested $500-$5000 in an espresso machine, $300-$1500 in a grinder, and spends $500-$1500 a year on coffee. And you're worried about spending $25 on a filter? It's a hell of lot cheaper upgrade than a new grinder or espresso machine, and it might make more of an improvement.

LOL. :D  Ok, fair enough.  I guess I didn't phrase my question well; I was wary that despite the improved quality of the basket what does it truly equate to.  I was really wondering if there  IS a difference in the cup and at $25 what am I getting.  If I can't tell the difference I wouldn't spend the money. If I MIGHT notice a small difference I still probably wouldn't bother. but yes, thanks for the perspective.
MarkPod
MarkPod

Espresso: BrewtusII
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless
Roaster: i-roast
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 8:46pm

RapidCoffee Said:

Vince Fedele published an interesting article in the April-May issue of Barista Magazine (available online here, pp.74-84) that discusses the new baskets. He states that there are grind adjustments for the different baskets, "slightly more coarse for the 22g filter and slightly more fine for the 15g filter, with the 18g filter midway in between".

Posted April 29, 2011 link

Thanks, John for the link and the answer.  Hopefully I will get a chance to read the article on my computer that has Flash installed. It sounds like an interesting read.

Mark
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 11:41pm

Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

From this photo, I suppose that the holes are all round.  Is that right?

As I had seen, the holes in those Italian filters are not.  But, what is the real things?

I am not going to say too fast, so I have to ask before.

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
MarkPrince
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 11:47pm

]

pstam Said:

Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)

From this photo, I suppose that the holes are all round.  Is that right?

As I had seen, the holes in those Italian filters are not.  But, what is the real things?

I am not saying too fast, so I have to ask before.

They're not round. That photo was defocused a bit to make a bit more of an impact image and blur the holes a bit - it still shows the reality of the holes all being uniform sizes.

Here's another pic less defocused.

Mark

MarkPrince: vstholes-25.jpg
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
JtothaR
JtothaR
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Faema D92/A1 Smart
Grinder: B VARIO, Krups Conic
Drip: Manual Pour-Over, Bodum...
Roaster: Redbird, Metropolis
Posted Sat Apr 30, 2011, 11:57pm

Awesome to see that Mark is on here late with us sometimes =)

I'm going to order a couple just to check it out probably, I need a new standard double basket anyway, and a new 18G couldn't hurt.

-James

Load and Lock.
Bob_McBob
Bob_McBob
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto, Strega, S1 Vivaldi
Grinder: Vario, K10, K30, Tanzania
Vac Pot: Yama SY-8
Drip: KB-741, V60, Wave, CCD, AP
Roaster: 2 broken Hottops
Posted Sun May 1, 2011, 12:11am

I ended up ordering one of the 18g baskets.  Not sure how much of a difference to expect, but it isn't a huge outlay.

Chris
pstam
pstam

Espresso: ECM, SAN MARCO, EURO 2000
Grinder: MAZZER
Vac Pot: YES
Drip: YES
Roaster: YES, HOME STYLE
Posted Sun May 1, 2011, 2:23am

MarkPrince Said:

They're not round. That photo was defocused a bit to make a bit more of an impact image and blur the holes a bit - it still shows the reality of the holes all being uniform sizes.

Here's another pic less defocused.

Mark

I cannot see your photo here.

As I see, the holes for Italians is like the drawing below, and all the holes are the same.
I don't really get what the VST improves.

pstam: holes_italy.gif
(Click for larger image)

Peter in Beijing
-------------------
http://www.kaffa.cn/
-------------------
I am looking for the way and the place to extend our trainning courses.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 3 of 15 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Can These...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400181055069)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+