Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Rancilio Factory Tour, Road Reports
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Rancilio Factory...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 12:00am
Subject: Rancilio Factory Tour, Road Reports

Rancilio Factory Tour
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

A tour of Rancilio's Factory in Parabiago shows how a state-of-the-art factory making some of the world's great espresso machines operates.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Weasel

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 8:52pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio Factory Tour, Road Reports

As usual nice photos Mark, looks like you were having fun with the camera. The rain/reflections added nicely to the shots. I think you should provide a link (from this column, not just twitter) to the 'out takes' you posted on flickr. I think many of the readers would enjoy them as well. Also, nice to see the 'jukebox' in color, better!
 View Profile Link to this post
Weasel

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 8:58pm

I guess I need to explain, my comments are in reference to the flickr out-take shots. Nothing against the shots for the article, but the out takes were more fun.
MarkPrince

Posted Thu Mar 31, 2011, 10:42pm

Thanks! But one point - the outtakes were for the other report - the Rancilio Museum report, and not this one (the Factory Tour).

Here's the link to the outtakes:

Click Here (www.flickr.com)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
alanfrew
alanfrew

Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011, 4:12am

Hi Mark, quick spelling edit, the Superautos are Egro, not Agro.

The thing that struck me most when I last visited Rancilio is that while they were quite dismissive about the domestic market (Silvia, Rocky etc.) it was even then a huge chunk of their cashflow and an even larger contributor to their profitability. If they had really been serious about it they could have easily tripled their domestic sales. Apparently selling huge numbers of domestic machines is less macho than "improving" your commercial machines by adding blue LEDs.

The Egro merger begins to make more sense when you look at how fast expert Italian baristas are being replaced by superautos and pod/Nespresso machines.

Alan
MarkPrince

Posted Fri Apr 1, 2011, 10:52am

alanfrew Said:

Hi Mark, quick spelling edit, the Superautos are Egro, not Agro.

The thing that struck me most when I last visited Rancilio is that while they were quite dismissive about the domestic market (Silvia, Rocky etc.) it was even then a huge chunk of their cashflow and an even larger contributor to their profitability. If they had really been serious about it they could have easily tripled their domestic sales. Apparently selling huge numbers of domestic machines is less macho than "improving" your commercial machines by adding blue LEDs.

Posted April 1, 2011 link

Darn, I'd asked Glenn to do a quick fact check for me and he missed that too :) (Egro).

Re domestic market... they still do "push aside" the Silvia somewhat, but a jump from 17,000 machines in 2009 to 22,000 machines in 2010 has made a rather large impression on them. I really, really, REALLY hammered the point about the domestic market on my visit. Pretty much every opportunity, even at dinners. I'd joke about it, then get serious. I came at it from a perspective of brand loyalty, brand recognition (consumers have Rancilio on their counter, look for Rancilio more in cafes, talk about Rancilio to cafe owners etc), the lost income from an upgrade path, why the Silvia was popular, what it has historically done for Rancilio in the consumer market vis a vis brand loyalty, etc etc.

Their engineers on the last day started quizzing me about what a Silvia V2 might have, and what a Silvia upgrade might have (two machines, one a new Silvia, the other a more expensive machine Silvia owners would trade up to). That was encouraging.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
HTDAVE

Espresso: La Spaziale vivaldi II...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini E
Vac Pot: none
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Sat Jan 28, 2012, 11:15am

Great job, fine photos!  Fascinating.  Thanks!
sandumarianconstantin

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Feb 1, 2012, 1:03am

Really like the photos .Thank you for sharing them .Do you have others ?? I want more ! :D :)
jimmygreen75

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 10:41am

great photos
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Rancilio Factory...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.285943984985)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+