Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo 2010 Day 1, Road Reports
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Canadian Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 8:00am
Subject: Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo 2010 Day 1, Road Reports

Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo 2010 Day 1
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Reports from the 2010 Canadian Coffee and Tea Expo in Mississauga, Ontario, including the Canadian Barista Championship and the Canadian Cup Tasters' Championship
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Sun Sep 26, 2010, 9:03am
Subject: Re: Canadian Coffee & Tea Expo 2010 Day 1, Road Reports

Didn't work out today, but I'm going to try & get there on Monday Sept 27.

Click the link below to watch the 2010 Canadian Barista Championship streamed LIVE Sunday September 26th & Monday September 27th.

Starting at: 9:00am on Sunday
                  12:00pm on Monday

P.S. Added @ 5:15pm; Mark are you going to be there all day tomorrow Monday Sept 27th? If not only between a certain time frame? It would be nice, & I hope to finally meet you after almost 9 years.

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
kevlar

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus 3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Leaving that to the pros
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2010, 6:20am

Nice report so far Mark, look forward to more when you get some better internet. I agree having the show where it is makes no sense, having been to a few trade shows in that area it is just a wasteland of hotels.

I am very surprised that all of the finalist for the CNBC are from Western Canada, I know there are solid shops out east, I guess a lot of the better eastern baristas chose not to compete this year.

What where the other two roasters you found? I have looked at Detour a few times and would really like to order some stuff from them but their shipping charges are outrageous. For four pounds of coffee it's $29 shipping. Yikes.

Anyways, look forward to more stuff from the show and the CNBC finals today.
 View Profile Link to this post
KnowGood
KnowGood
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Europiccola...
Grinder: Kyocera CM-45 CF hand...
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2010, 2:56pm

kevlar Said:

I have looked at Detour a few times and would really like to order some stuff from them but their shipping charges are outrageous. For four pounds of coffee it's $29 shipping. Yikes.

Posted September 27, 2010 link

Not true. At the bottom of their F.A.Q. page they list up to 4lbs at $11.00. Going through the process and adding 4lbs of beans to an order it only added $11.00 to the total.
kevlar

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus 3
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Leaving that to the pros
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2010, 4:24pm

Weird, just did it again and now it says $11. I swear last night when I did it it said $29. Alright, so that's great I will be trying them out when I get through the Four Barrel I am drinking right now.
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Sep 27, 2010, 4:36pm

Detour told me today they were having some problems with their shipping calculator. It should be all fixed now.

The other roaster is te aro roasters - I spoke to a couple of guys at their booth and got some of their coffee, will write more about them later.

The "known" roaster to me was Social Coffee Co, who had a great booth. Their report (and possibly te aro) will both come later tonight.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
kojach

Espresso: Rocket Giotto Premium +
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Braun AromaDeluxe KF510
Posted Mon Nov 15, 2010, 8:59pm

Thanks for the post!

Detour is actually one of the two main roasters carried by Dark Horse Espresso Bar in Toronto (at least the Spadina location does) in addition to numerous 49th Parallel roasts.

http://www.blogto.com/cafes/darkhorse

Walking home the other day I realized there's a new coffee shop open on the west side of Spadina just south of Queen - and they roast their own beans too. Can't remember the name so I'll need to do some recon this week.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Canadian Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.230193853378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+