Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Barista Basics... Or Not!, Professionally Speaking
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Barista...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince
MarkPrince
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 12:00am
Subject: Barista Basics... Or Not!, Professionally Speaking

Barista Basics... Or Not!
Professionally Speaking article by George Sabados

George Sabados, an espresso expert and consultant in Australia, writes about how cafes and coffee houses need to get back to basics to increase sales and customer satisfaction.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
nickcho
nickcho
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: this
Grinder: that
Vac Pot: yes
Drip: drop
Roaster: Trish!
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 4:35pm
Subject: Re: Barista Basics... Or Not!, Professionally Speaking

George is, quite clearly, a qualified expert of espresso and of the business as a whole.

However, I have to put my two cents in:

Training is certainly one of the most important things... to me, most likely #2... possibly going hand-in-hand with my #1.

In my coming on 3 years of experience as a barista, a trainer, and a business owner, the #1 most important thing to me is calibrating your "bar."  In other words, you need to know what espresso is, what "great espresso" is, etc., which will hopefully provide for you some sense of context... some sense of what is possible.  Only after knowing the context within which you operate can you then go out and try and maximize your potential.

I think many of us have come across the espresso bar/coffeeshop... the place that thinks that they have the best-of-the-best coffee and espresso in town... but you know better.  Their baristas work with flair and artistry, as they steam up their bubbly milk and pull their pale, crema-less shots.  They have attitude and love to hype their skillz... too bad their skillz are the suckz.

Most of these people are "trained" by their manager or whoever... maybe what I'm trying to say is that I'd elaborate on "training," for training in of itself, while definitely better than no training... training without context isn't much.  Maybe I'm speaking from a relatively ignorant, east-coast perspective, where "good espresso" is as rare as the courteous driver.

"Calibrating your bar."  You need to know where to set the bar, so that you have something to measure quality against.  Whether "quality" is an absolute or a relative thing may be up for discussion, but assuming that quality is indeed a relative thing... well, I think you get my point.

There's my two cents.

Nick
www.murkycoffee.com

www.wreckingballcoffee.com - www.portafilter.net
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
rlcoffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Imat Mokita
Grinder: Imat Lux
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 5:40pm

And also, the Michel's Patisserie in the Knox City Shopping Centre (about 25 kms east of Melbourne) was proudly display a huge banner,

"National Barista Champion, March 2004".

Training paid off ?

I stopped to have a quick look at the (fairly young) girls who were preparing the lattes, but didn't stop to ask for more details.  It did seem faily well patronised, but I noticed one of the girls had the milk jug standing up on a small box steaming away while she was filling and tamping the portafilter and trying to look at the thermometer at the same time.
 View Profile Link to this post
fookoonetwork
fookoonetwork

Espresso: Pasquini Livia 90
Grinder: Pasquini Moka 90, Anfim...
Vac Pot: Royal Balance Brewer
Drip: none
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 8:21pm

I would suppose that one can only be amazed that $tarbucks continues to lead the pack and violate so many of the rules of quality.  Brand recognition and the line of people waiting to plunk down a few bucks for an inferior product never cease to amaze me.  It must be that ignorance is bliss.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
onocoffee
onocoffee
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 2AV, 3AV &...
Grinder: 4 Mazzer Major Autos, Compak...
Vac Pot: That crazy Bodum eSantos
Drip: Bunn CWT Twin, Bunn Water...
Roaster: Petroncini The Crumb
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 10:00pm

I'm a bit disturbed by the content of this article because it starts off with George mentioning the many trips to Asian cities that he's made yet his only focused commentary is on the Australian market.

This is the very first time I have heard Australia referenced as part of Asia.  I thought Australia was part of Oceania.  If not, why then is Australia not a member country of ASEAN?

But that's politics and I'm not interested in that.

I have to wonder aloud and ask how this small example in Australia can speak for the entirety of Asia?

Don't get me wrong.  I've met George.  I like George and I respect his knowledge about espresso.  I just don't see the correlation between the Australia coffee scene and the rest of Asia.
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
aeroplane
aeroplane
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 v2
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Drip: Bodum French press
Roaster: FreshRoast w/modified switch
Posted Mon May 3, 2004, 11:03pm

BRAVO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This hits the nail squarely on the head. Almost all of the coffee (drinks) I go out and buy are woefully inconsistent. Every once in a while there is a good one, but that is rare.

As there are more and more places to get an espresso based drink, the average quality can ONLY go down --- because the consumer dosen't know what good is, and continues to accept and buy poorly made, sloppy tasting drinks. Sad but true.

I hope the shop owners take this seriously and implement a program such as this.
spinnaker007
spinnaker007

Posted Tue May 4, 2004, 8:33am

nice read...better yet, nice crema!
MatthewB
MatthewB

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Moulinex
Vac Pot: Bodum french press
Drip: Starbucks Quattro
Posted Tue May 4, 2004, 8:18pm

Well I can't claim to be in the business, but can speak on behalf of the average consumer.  This article shed light on many areas I found myself witnessing in the coffee industry almost on a day-to-day occurence. In my opinion, the flare in which many companies I feel strive for, greatly effects the over all quality of the coffee that is created in taste, appearence, and overall professionalism.  Yes, many cafes do look like they could or should only pull great shots, but as all of us know this is not the case.  I feel the points Mr.  Sabados brought forth are very worthy and also appropriate.  Having worked in one of these flashy cafes, I can only say that the informal training and lack of testing or evaluation of the coffee directly effected the sales based on the very few repeat customers we had and compliments regarding quality.  This would of, and should of been avoided, if the cafe was to invest more time and money into the overall quality and presentation of the drink itself along with thorough training.  

One more little comment in relation to this article, when an individual ventures into a cafe for their first time to experience what everybody is raving about and they are served a poor beverage it will greatly effect their desire to venture in again.  This is extremely important for persons who have never had an espresso or an espresso based drink.  Remember folks, we want to turn them on to coffee, not turn them off of coffee.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Skarsnik
Skarsnik
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: None
Grinder: None
Posted Tue May 4, 2004, 11:12pm

Well I can't claim to be in the business, but can speak on behalf of the average consumer.

I think the author was preaching to the choir. I dont think the average coffeeshop customer knows or cares about a good cup of coffee (look at our national instant coffee sales) and Iím pretty sure that they donít read coffeegeek forums :).

Until this changes I cannot see the validity of the sales growth figures stated in the article. Sure taking the step from producing a coffee flavored milk drink to a reasonable cup of coffee will increase sales; but 100% to 3500%?
Malibar
Malibar

Espresso: Bialetti Moka Pot (stovetop)
Grinder: Rocky DL, Cuisinart...
Drip: Pourover Cone, Bodum...
Roaster: I wish
Posted Wed May 5, 2004, 12:10am

Thanks so much for putting what's been on the tip of mytongue down on paper, Mr. Sabados.  I'm definitely using this in my efforts to convince my management to pursue higher quality product.

Hemingway had the ideal cofee shop figured out: "A clean, well-lighted place."
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Barista...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.512423992157)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+