Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Day 3 from the SCAA 2004 Atlanta, Road Reports
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Day 3 from the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 1:20am
Subject: Re: Day 3 from the SCAA 2004 Atlanta, Road Reports

Jen, you tell Ryan from me, he was a rock star. Wait, I told him that already. Other than Phuong, I though (as a judge) that Ryan had the smoothest, most relaxed poise up there in the semi-finals (in my judging flight). And it was close. I'm glad he changed his cups for the final round. I understand Stephen Vick clued him in on that - so way to go Stephen! That's Baristi community spirit!

Okay... here's the deal. The last day report is going to get a whole wack of photos (just posted). Then tomorrow, I'll write up my wrap up report, which is gonna be long, with a boatload of photos from the entire conference. I wrote most of it on the plane. Meanwhile, I've uploaded pics of the announcement time (see the frame by frame reaction of Brony when they announced Phuong as second).

Lastly, as a side note, after a 5.5 hour flight, and 3 hour drive to Vancouver, I had a nice surprise waiting for me in the kitchen... check it out :)

Mark

MarkPrince: IMG_9578 (Small).JPG
(Click for larger image)

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
HB

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 5:20am

Woohoo!  

The show was great and it was really a pleasure to meet all the online CGs!  Many thanks to the SCAA for taking great care of the cMembers.  :-)  I'll add my own thoughts over the next week or so as others chime in.  I took a camera and only have two pictures.  The Versalab M3 is shown below, my choice for the 2004 "Best of Show Shot."  The ESI booth taking second place.  Thanks to Andy S. for arranging a group test so we could all check it out at once.  Wow, that was one phenomenal shot (the blend was a bit overroasted for my taste but the mouthfeel was smooth, creamy, silky, light, and mousse-like -- ooh yeah!).

They hope to market this as a roaster's cupping machine.  You can dial adjust temperature(s), pressure, preinfusion speed and duration.  They were a little tight-lipped about details.  Unfortunately this little wonder goes for over nine grand.  :-o

-- Dan

HB: versa-lab.jpg
(Click for larger image)

www.home-barista.com
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:37am

Hi folks. sorry for the technical difficulties. The photos I posted yesterday somehow got eaten by the C CMS software. We've got it sorted out now, and you can see the announcement photos, blow by blow, if you revisit the article. Enjoy! (I sure did!)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
espressionist
espressionist

Espresso: GB-5 2-group
Grinder: Robur-E
Drip: Pourover
Roaster: Intelligentsia
Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 7:11pm

Even sitting here, I thouroughly enjoyed the weekend.  It must have been fantastic to be there.

Thanks to Mark, Dan, Jeanette and Jim (who am I missing) for the pictures and words that brought the event to life.

Congratulations Bronwen.  The pressure is on as now everyone will be visiting your shop to have the best from the best.

Following the play by play over the last 4 days I am left with two distinct images.

1. The sheer joy shown on Bronwen's face (before, during and after winning). Her smile is contagious.

2.  The serenity of Phuong.  She seems like a very peaceful, elegant lady.  

Thanks again to all who reported.

Geoff

www.credocoffee.ca
themom

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: lamarzocco
Grinder: Rio
Drip: yes
Roaster: Zoka
Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 7:24pm

I would like to take the opportunity to say hats off to each Barista at the competition.  This was a tremendous experience for Ryan and I and we were sincerely honored to be a part of such an admirable group of people sharing the 'love' of coffees and team spirit.  We were proud to represent the midwest in the finals!  We hope to see you again soon, maybe a barista jamm or something....if you are ever close to mile marker 1733 (kearney), we would love the opportunity to 'serve you', stop and see us.  I am very proud of Ryan and each and everyone competing at this event!

Cathy (ryans mom)
P.S.  Ryan has been a barista for 2 years, we switched from automatic equipment and developed better skills about 9 months ago.  There is a photo stating he has only been a barista for 9 months.  I think Ry's word was a 'better barista, for 9 months.
GrindingRoad

Espresso: La Marzocco FB70
Grinder: Robur
Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 7:57pm

Mark – Thanks for the awesome pics.  You’re the best!

CONGRATS to Bronwen!

It was truly an unforgettable weekend.  Meeting and discussing everything relating to our passion about coffee was wonderful.  I was blown away by the support given by the other baristas (Aaron Duckworth, Nick Cho, and  Jay Caragay) during my competitions.  I had just met these guys for the first time, and their generosity and encouragement were absolutely incredible.  

Shaking hands with George Sabados was way cool!!!

Thanks to all you coffeegeeks who were rooting for us!

Phuong Tran
 View Profile Link to this post
MarkPrince

Posted Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:07pm

GrindingRoad Said:

Mark – Thanks for the awesome pics.

Posted April 27, 2004 link

Stay tuned... there's much more to come :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
MarkPrince

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:33am

BTW everyone.... I should let you in on a little secret... :)

The "identifier" photo for this Day 3 report? The nice photo of Phuong and Bronwen? Posted at about 1am at the start of day 3 (and about 10 hours before the finals started?)

It was my sneaky prediction for the top two finishers... no kidding. Based on judging the previous day (I was in the flight that they were both in), I was predicting these two would finish in at least the top three. :) (I probably shouldn't do things like that, but I figured noone would guess).

My prediction was a change from the first round... I wasn't sure that Bronwen would advance into the semis, at least based on my sensory evaluation in the first round. I sure am glad she did!!!!

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
Fred_Astaire

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Tea
Grinder: Solis Maestro; NS MCF
Vac Pot: none
Drip: Braun (love my drip)
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:37pm

The comments above, the pics and this article, are collectively a CG classic.   It doesn't get any better.  Thank you all for your contributions.   (I want a Bronwen Serna-Phuong Tran T-shirt).
macchiato

Espresso: Work - LM 5 group Linea EE...
Grinder: Work - Mazzer Robur  Home -...
Posted Fri Apr 30, 2004, 10:49am

to all the coffeegeeks -

thankyouthankyouthankyou! i can't express how much i've enjoyed meeting everyone that could make it to atlanta and for all the continued support for hines on this site. it was a long way to get to where we are today and the hines crew couldn' t have made it without your enthusiasm and love for coffee. i have never been so nervous and stressed and had so much fun in one weekend.

during this year, i hope to really bring the role of the barista to the forefront of the coffee community because they are important, especially in educating consumers and other baristas. thanks again for everyone's support. please feel free to contact me with any questions/thoughts/comments/etc.

all the best, bronwen =)
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Day 3 from the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.232671976089)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+