Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Day 3 from the SCAA 2004 Atlanta, Road Reports
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Day 3 from the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 11:20pm
Subject: Day 3 from the SCAA 2004 Atlanta, Road Reports

Day 3 from the SCAA 2004 Atlanta
Road Reports article by Mark Prince

Our final day of coverage sees continuing updates as we give you the near-instant scoop on the USBC winner, show award recipients, and some of our final, random thoughts about the 2004 SCAA Show.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 4:17am
Subject: Re: Day 3 from the SCAA 2004 Atlanta, Road Reports

La Marzocco's booth where they clued me in to some of their amazing new electronics on the new machines

Corey was pretty stoked to discover that his Linea came with a PID built in!

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
champignon
champignon
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali Jr. DT/1 Rotary;...
Grinder: 2 Cimbali Jr. Grinders; 1...
Vac Pot: Hario Deco 3; Hario Deco 5;...
Drip: Melita cone, used during...
Roaster: 1lb Gas Fired Drum Sample...
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 9:43am

Hey Mark,

Enjoyed reading your reports!  Sorry I couldn't make it but I'm off to France in a couple of days and the logistics were just too hard to pull off.

Sounds like people had a good time, and I hope I can see you at the SCAA next year, or maybe even sooner in Vancouver this year.

Thanks for letting me get a little bit of vicarious enjoyment from THIS year, also!

ken
espressoDOM
espressoDOM
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 10:55am

I enjoyed the report...

I am curious to hear more about the internet cgeek and how he/she was received in Atlanta....
there seemed to be more to the story.....  Sounds like you had fun Mark....
WHO WON WHO WON.... great suspense....

(go brownen) I root for her because she is always smilin' in your pics of her.... seems like a nice person...

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
cheapdialogue
cheapdialogue

Espresso: Marzocco Linea 3AV
Grinder: Espresso- Mazzer, Drip-Bunn
Vac Pot: I  can still dream...
Drip: Curtis APS
Roaster: Dreaming of a Probat
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 1:58pm
Subject: Bronwen wins!

Yay Bronwen!!!

You so totally deserved that win. And I know that everyone at that level of competition are probably only half points apart, so congratulations to all y'all.

- Alexarc -

www.theblackdrop.com

"Be seeing you..." -#6
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Link to this post
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 2:17pm

Wow...from what little i know of her it couldn't have happened to a nicer Baristi......

congrats to all the finalists ...technically you are all winners b/c you now stand out among the elite....

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 4:19pm

Wooo!  Go Bronwen!

Next step ... WBC!

I love the trophy; looks damned cool.  And hilarious.

Thanks for all the coverage so far, guys.  Next best thing to being there,

Luca "can't pour a single rosetta, let alone a rosetta and a heart" Costanzo

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
Drumlin72

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 4:33pm

You can't help but smile yourself when you see the sheer joy and blinding smile of Bronwen!  Congratulations!  Good Luck at the WBC!!!

I'm definitely saving my money for next year!  Being on the sidelines and only being able to read posts agonizing!  WOO HOO!
 View Profile Link to this post
EspressoTech
EspressoTech

Espresso: La Marzocco 3 group
Grinder: Astoria, Baratza Vario
Drip: French Press, 10 cup Chemex...
Roaster: I have access to a 1960...
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 8:57pm

I was there. Damn, it was cool!!  Mark was working his ... he was working really hard.  Between judging, answering questions, and shooting photos, he was sweating like a decathlete!  I was stunned by the excitement and emotion in the air when Bronwen won.  It made the event very important and legitimate, in a "Best Actor" Oscar, or Olympic Gold Medal kind of way.  When she won, she ran far away from the center of things to jump on and hug her two-boss-Johns (from Hines PM).  Then she was carried back by one of them, still hugging, with her feet 18 inches off of the ground!  I don't know her personally, but I was damned proud of her, the crew at Hines, and the whole affair.  I was humbled by the poise and skill of each competitor.  Other than Bronwen, my faves were Kyle, Ryan, and Billy.  I remember reading Billy's essay on CG a year or so ago.  It was cool to watch him work.  The other highlights of the show for me were meeting and talking to Mark Prince, Martin Hildebrandt (some excellent milk-frothing advice), and George S.  I got to meet Jeff (Zoka) Babcock's sister and her family, who live here in Atlanta. How about a "Zoka" here in Atlanta, Jeff??? It's the hub of the Southeast and all...  Let me know when you assemble your team. ;-)   I also helped the ESI folks pack their machines and display, and they sent me home with about 40 pounds (that was not a typo) of the finest espresso beans from all over the world.  Didn't want to haul it back to Seattle, I guess.  Gee.  What to do with all that coffee!!  Also got some cool La Marzocco T-shirts, met Kent Bakke of ESI, and got to look "under the hood" of their newest 3 group bar (LM) with PID heating, and 3 separate boilers.  Tech heaven!  Thanks again to Mark for his hard work.  And he's friendly to boot!  It was, perhaps, the coolest coffee day of my life.  Oh yeah... the man who said that he trained Martin H. made me a cap at the ESI display.  And Vince Piccolo, president of Caffe Artigiano in Vancouver B.C. made me a beautiful rosetta latte, and I got to taste one that George S. made in a little demonstration he did with Martin.  And I made myself a few, now and then. God bless the La Marzocco's at the ESI display.  I drink a lot of coffee, and the caffeine doesn't usually bother me, but I did notice my hands shaking a bit as I drove home from the show.  Then again, it might have been the thrill of the Barista Finals, or was it the mountain of coffee next to me in the passenger's seat?  Thank you SCAA, ESI, USBC, & Mark Prince!!!
jen_Ilovecarmelmochas
jen_Ilovecarmelmochas

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 9:34pm

I've never met Bronwen but by the looks of the picture of her proudly holding her trophy, it is incredibly easy to get a feel of her personality! Congrats to her!  And, Congrats to RYAN, who tied for third at his second ever competition--the first being the Midwest Regionals which he won 3 weeks ago!  I understand he had quite a following in the crowd for being the newbie.  I understand that they witnessed the "Vanilla Ice" version of his performace the night before during Karaoke Night!  Watch out! I'm so proud of him!  (I'm his very best big sister!)

Love ya, Ry!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Day 3 from the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.320451021194)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+