Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Day 2: SCAA 2004 Hotlanta, Baybee!, Road Reports
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Day 2: SCAA 2004...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
Drumlin72

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 8:22pm
Subject: Re: Day 2: SCAA 2004 Hotlanta, Baybee!, Road Reports

Those are some awesome finalists....heavy in the west coast/PNW representation. That fella from Nebraska must be feeling ganged up on!

Ryan is a first year competitor from Kearney, NB who kick all our butts here in the Mid-west....but it just goes to show:  YOU CAN FIND GOOD ESPRESSO IN THE MID-WEST!!!!  :)

As much as I was rooting for Sandy, I am glad that he is doing well.
 View Profile Link to this post
DavidMLewis

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Reneka Techno
Grinder: Versalab M3
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau, Infuze
Drip: Clever
Roaster: Hottop, HWP
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 8:59pm

Heh. †It's a real peculiarity of the espresso machine industry that there has to always be some compromise with machines. †Reneka nearly had the perfect home machine ... and then screw it up by not putting a steam knob on it ... wtf?!

Hi Luca (and Mark, too),

Having used the Techno for a couple of years now, I can say with assurance that the lack of a steam knob is absolutely not a problem. I think, actually, looking back at my previous machine, which did have a steam knob, that I prefer the button and solenoid because of its instant action. I cannot recall ever using partial steam power on the previous machine. I did replace the Techno's steam tip with one of the two-hole ones from Chris Coffee, because I typically steam for one or two cappas at most. The new Techno has a steam tip with fewer holes than mine came with, but I haven't seen one. Schomer, by the way, has his LMs fitted with solenoid steam valves actuated with a foot switch so the baristi can have their hands free entirely. Anyway, I'd encourage you to try to use one a little before writing it off for that reason.

Best,
   David
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MyronJ
MyronJ

Espresso: Gaggia Espresso
Grinder: Rocky (Zassenhaus  Mill Box...
Vac Pot: Aeropress..does it count??
Drip: Bialetti Kaliffa-needs a...
Roaster: IROAST, FZ-RR 700 (Havitush)
Posted Sun Apr 25, 2004, 10:37pm

Thanks for the audioi file of Geoff Watts talk.
Nice to have some of Hotlanta in my air conditioned office...but the coffee here aint much to speak about.

best and continue to enjoy! myron

PS..just tried listening to the file..sound like the pump of my "new" used Gaggia..Oh, well! Nice try and I will try fiddling to see if i can get the sound a bit better. Thx!

PPS. I turned down the Bass and upped the treble. The audio sounds fine now. I didn't want to delete the original PS..I liked the simile of the Gaggia pump. (I am just an excited newbie!!)
Luca
Luca

Espresso: H: Maver W: FB-80
Grinder: H: Super Jolly W: Brasilia...
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2
Roaster: Sample Roaster at Work
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 4:14am

I'd encourage you to try to use one a little before writing it off for that reason.

Absolutely right ... but I want it all!  I've got a 300mL pitcher that I use all the time ... don't want to paint the walls!

But yeah, if it's available in Oz I might consider it as an upgrade from Silvia ... but not for a while!  Sure would be sweet to have a home machine with a PID and simultaneous steaming.

Cheers,
Luca

General ramblings about coffee: http://www.pourquality.blogspot.com/

Reviews of Australian coffee: http://www.coffeereviewaustralia.com/
jen_Ilovecarmelmochas
jen_Ilovecarmelmochas

Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 11:35am

Thank you for the pictures.  My brother, Ryan Dennhardt, is competing for the Barista Championship.  We, couldn't make it to the competition, being in Omaha, and all, and have very much appreciated the updates and the commentary!  Great site!  We are anxiously awaiting the results of the final competition!  Go Ryan!
espressoDOM
espressoDOM

Espresso: WEGA Lyra (vibe)
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: (no more coffee equipment)
Drip: French Press
Roaster: Hot Top Roaster; Fresh Roast...
Posted Mon Apr 26, 2004, 11:48am

You captured the drama of the day... the only thing that was missing was the anguish of defeat from those who didn't make the finals or a pic of the field of baristi hoping to attain that coveted "shot" at the finals..... 25 seconds away from greatness...ahhahaah

it was a great visual you provided us on Day 2.... so far my favorite....

the last day I am expecting great things from ya....

Geez I may have to shell out and go next time.....Hawaii shirts and all....

DOM...evil genius ...Up to no good in espresso at all times... VIVA la parts de Espresso
spinnaker007
spinnaker007
Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:42pm

Hi Mark,

I noticed that you took a picture at the Ancap display booth (I could be wrong.)  Did you see any new art designs?  I donít like their current lineup, and I am willing to wait and purchase a set of newly designed cappa cups (if I like the designs).

BTW, thanks for taking the pictures and posting the reports for us.

Cheers,

Steve
paulsdatter
paulsdatter
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: only at work
Grinder: Solis Maestro Plus
Vac Pot: 2 oldies, LOVE EM!
Drip: pour-over melita
Roaster: big ole Probat
Posted Wed Apr 28, 2004, 3:27pm

Wow, I really like being called "brilliant"! Thanks Mark, and thanks for the chat and the drink!

(you know it's conference when you find yourself sitting with someone you've never formally met...having an awesome time drinking, smoking menthol cigarettes of all things, and talking about ...you guessed it...the E61)

It's cool that Mark still thinks my ideas about espresso carry some weight even after Peter Gulliano and I made him sit through our boring, theory-heavy Brewing Diversity lecture. What can I say except that Peter and I just may be the geeks to end all geeks...oh yeah, and Peter's wife Alice liked our class, so she must be even worse!
Our International Roasting Styles went a little better, I think.

cheers on a SOS of Yemen,
yer pal in geekdom,
trish (you got my name right) Skeie

PS: Bronwen is champ! Isn't that lovely?!
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Apr 29, 2004, 1:32pm

Trish Skeie rocks the casbah. :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Day 2: SCAA 2004...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.221332073212)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+