Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Tamping Science, Theory and Practice, Part One by Mark Prince
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Tamping Science,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 10 of 10 first page previous page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Thu Aug 30, 2007, 10:13pm
Subject: Re: Tamping Science, Theory and Practice, Part One by Mark Prince

Hola folks.

You may be wondering where the heck is part two of this article.

The answer is, it's waiting for some additional development of the CoffeeGeek Tamper. A lot of research, testing by some world class baristas (and world champions), feedback by working baristas, home baristas, and everyone in between has not only modified what I want to do with this tamper, but influenced greatly the content of both Part two and part three of this article.

they are coming. But the tamper project has to finish first. And after a good recent meeting with the person helping me to make this tamper, things look a lot closer today than they did only a short while ago.

Thanks for your patience. And auction winners for 001, 002, and 003 of the CG tamper? I haven't forgotten you. In fact, I plan something extra for you three once the thing is finally finished and ready to ship.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ground_coffee

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2007, 5:36am

Hi

I'm from the UK.  Just bought my first proper machine having previously used a gaggia trevi exclusive for 5.5 years (it broke down at least every six months).

I paid 450 (about $900) for my Silvia and doserless Rocky grinder.  

Now, I need a decent tamper.  I know there are threads-a-many on tampers but having read them, I am no closer to making a decision.  Anyone care to recommend a decent tamper specifically to be used with a double basket 58mm Silvia portafilter?  I am willing to pay upto 25 ($50).  Should I buy a 57mm for Mark's North, East, South, West tamping procedure?

Thanks in advance
 View Profile Link to this post
ground_coffee

Posted Tue Oct 2, 2007, 7:17am

can you advise me about reg barber tampers?  they say they can make your base accurate to 0.1mm.  Which means I can get a 57.6mm tamper.  Ideal diameter for the sylvia double basket?

thanks in advance
Philosopher

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sun Jan 25, 2009, 3:00am

I have been trying a new tamping technique based on the principle of how road base is bedded down before laying concrete pavers.

1) Light levelling tamp
2) Place tamper over the grounds
3) KNOCK the PF several times whilst applying light pressure to the top
4) Heavy tamp
5) Polish

Since doing this, I am getting very nice tight pucks which don't obviously channel, fragment or delaminate.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Tue Sep 22, 2009, 2:30pm

I know this article is now ancient. There really is a part 2 and a part 3 coming.

The problem is (and was) that I was waiting until the CoffeeGeek Tamper Project was finalised before posting the other two articles. The 2nd one is written, the third one is in draft form.

For several years, I've been trying to coordinate with Reg Barber to get what I thought was the ideal tamper built - at least what I thought was ideal. Prototypes were made - there's about 20+ in existence now, and people like Jim Hoffmann, Andy Schecter, Matt Riddle and others have one.

Unfortunately (for this project, not for him), Reg is a very busy person, and we got bogged down in the minutia of the design. I wanted it to be perfect, out the door. There were many frustrations along the way.

Very recently (as in the last three weeks), the tamper project has been kickstarted again. New CAD drawings were done and the piston shape, along with the handle shape (it's GOTTA be extremely comfortable) have had some final tweaks, including some very minor (but important to me) aesthetic and usability additions. I'm optimistic this tamper will eventually get built, and we'll have an initial run of 200 to offer (already about 100+ are spoken for - not sure if that's still the case, but there was some very serious commitments).

I am embarrassed and sorry that this has dragged out for so long, and that Part 2 and Part 3 haven't seen the light of day here yet. Hopefully that will change soon.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
JonR10
JonR10

Espresso: E61 Legend, Livietta,...
Grinder: Robur, B-Vario-W
Vac Pot: Hario Tabletop, Yama...
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: 1-lb US Roaster, Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Sep 22, 2009, 4:37pm

MarkPrince Said:

I know this article is now ancient. There really is a part 2 and a part 3 coming.

Posted September 22, 2009 link

Looking forward to it!  

MarkPrince Said:

...and we'll have an initial run of 200 to offer (already about 100+ are spoken for - not sure if that's still the case, but there was some very serious commitments).

Posted September 22, 2009 link

I sure hope one is ear-marked for me!  

If not, would you please save me one?  

Pretty please??

Jon Rosenthal
Houston, TX
rabbit

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: v.3  miss sylvia
Grinder: baratza  vario, encore
Vac Pot: presspot
Roaster: fresh roast sr300
Posted Tue Sep 22, 2009, 8:40pm

+1 if yuh sell it will byit!! cool swag(shirts and stuff) it would be cool to use something with CG brand on it....
shlegminitism

Espresso: Quick Mills Andreja
Grinder: baratza v. preciso, Pasquini...
Vac Pot: Electrolux
Drip: v60
Roaster: soon i hope
Posted Thu Oct 3, 2013, 9:35am

Wow.  I'm just making the decision to splurge on a quick mills Alexia, and i have found this thread to be very informative and helpful. I'm trying to go ahead and build a decent starting-point foundation to use in moving forward, and this has contributed to it and given me some more sources for exploration.  I want to thank Mark and all those who have contributed, and i also wanted to ask where we stand on part 2 and 3?  I got these cheeseburgers...
Thanks,
Chris

+1 to wanting to experiment with one of those magical tampers if there are still any around. I'll be needing to invest in one as soon as i order my machine, which i hope to be in the next few weeks!
showing page 10 of 10 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Tamping Science,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.22965502739)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+