Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 2 by Mark Prince
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Nuova...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009, 12:00am
Subject: The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 2 by Mark Prince

The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 2
by Mark Prince

In the second part of this in depth look at the WBC certified sponsorship espresso machine, we put a WBC-spec Nuova Simonelli Aurelia through its paces and have a closer look at how a heat exchanger handles temperature stability and changes.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Apr 20, 2009, 2:41pm
Subject: Re: The Nuova Simonelli Aurelia, Part 2 by Mark Prince

Wanted to give much thanks to Klaus Thomsen, Sammy Piccolo, and many pros that were in the WBC chat session on ustream on Thursday for giving me good background and things to test for when I went into ECM's showroom on Thursday afternoon to check out this machine and run some tests on it. I felt I was more aptly prepared to put the machine through its paces.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Sat Apr 25, 2009, 7:23pm

RE: the 0.05 bar adjustment test. Are you sure you let the machine stabilize before taking your final temperature read? I'm still surprised you got a 2F drop from 0.05 bar.

RE: temperature stability. I think your articles would be more useful if you clearly distinguished between:
(1) InTERshot temperature stability (following the same temperature profile from shot to shot), and
(2) InTRAshot temperature stability (how much temperature variation there is during one shot).

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
Sebastien

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Marzocco GS3
Grinder: Mini Mazzer
Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009, 4:52am

Very interesting the 2 articles ! Thanks Mark !
acelaw09
acelaw09
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat May 23, 2009, 9:39pm

Wow, very impressive write-up. I bet you do love your job, it looks like a blast!
Michael_Teahan
Michael_Teahan

Vac Pot: Vintage for collecting only
Roaster: None
Posted Fri Jun 5, 2009, 4:15pm

The undiscovered territory here lay in the dual flow restrictors in the heat exchanger that allow for custom temperature profiling.  The WBC likes level temps in both inter and intra testing.  The jetting allows for different static group temperature setting (as noted), but also ramp up recovery and HX bias to change the extraction temperature during the shot.  Techs hate to mess with this because the HX tubes come out, but it is an unexlpored feature in the engineering of the machine that allows for fiddling with the elusive and controversial temperature profiling a few of us die-hards think is pretty cool.  

The use of the PID to control pressure instead of temperature is actually a plus; temp controllers on HX machines suffer when steam is drawn from the boiler, resulting in a lag time and wide temperature swings. Its easy to keep temp within 1 tenth of a degree when no one is actually using it to make a 20 ounce mocha.  This is something that Simonelli found in testing, that temp based PID's were less accurate.  A .05bar swing is about .75 of a degree Fahrenheit, but the nature of PID's is to maintain a tighter target.  Using pressure allows for quick responses to steam demands while keeping temp stable.

Thanks for keeping the fires burning Mark.

Michael Teahan
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
PHXcoffee

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Mon Jun 29, 2009, 10:16am

Mark - great indepth article, i am learning all the time! i am opening a coffee shop in PHoenix, home to the hardest water this side of the colorado river...and am trying to determine the best fit espresso machine.  i have looked at the Rancilio 6e 2 group automatic, the Nuova simonelli 2 group automatic, and the Astoria Perla.  your comments about the Aurelia seem to suggest that in a rush, pulling shot after shot, it may not hold the consistancy, what is your opinion vs the other two machines?

do all the Nuova Simonelli Aurelia's have the PID and do you have to look for WBA Certified?  are they all certified?
 View Profile Link to this post
procrastinator
procrastinator

Espresso: La Pavoni P3V2 P/TRE
Grinder: Mazzer (Rio) Super Jolly
Posted Mon Jul 27, 2009, 10:37am

A link to the Aurelia white paper is here:  http://www.nuovasimonelliusa.com/aurelia.html

I didn't see a link in the article but didn't look too carefully.  Great review!
 View Profile Link to this post
Droshi

Espresso: Bezzera BZ07
Grinder: OE Pharos
Posted Thu Feb 24, 2011, 6:09pm

I must have missed this in the past, but going over commercial machines this name keeps popping up. Is there any real good comparison of commercial machines for us crazy home-users that want to splurge? :)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > The Nuova...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.298377990723)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+