Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Jars of Clay - CoffeeGeeks?, The Cafe Stage
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Jars of Clay -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 6:37pm
Subject: re: jars of clay - coffeegeeks?, the cafe stage

MarkPrince Said:

Fair enough comments, but I highlighted the above because I think that's probably the main reason why you didn't like this interview so much. . .

Mark

Posted May 13, 2009 link

hey mark, your thoughts are always welcome, so i don't want to dwell here too much (i had a feeling i was going to get shelled by someone).  mentioning i did't like the band was indeed a disclaimer that i may be subconsciously bias here.  so yes, my initial reaction upon reading the title was a groan, but i swear, the "boo" came after i read the article.  branching out into the reasons for the groan would be drifting into the "general off topics" area, so i tried to be honest to the bean in my comments.

admittedly, i am incredibly far from nashville, so i have no idea how good a café their mentioned crema is, and i erred in not giving them props for doing charity work for africa.  but honestly, i know lots of people who like "strong coffee" and the café scene and yet drink very bad coffee.  relating back to the steve page article. . . after you drop enough buzzwords, doesn't it just mean you know what you're talking about?  i felt there was much more in that interview that potentially raised the consciousness of a fan of their music who perhaps hadn't had an "epiphany moment" regarding quality coffee.  stepping back from the "geek" side of "geekdom," i'm of the opinion that the more people are exposed to amazing things happening in a cup, the more people will see coffee as more than a commodity, strong / weak, roasty, not too bitter, etc. and then the respect those farmers deserve (most notably in the amount of money consumers are willing to pay) will follow.  then everyone's happy (even the harshest music critic).  : }

aww geez, i'm finding myself dwelling so i'd better make it count.  i think too much of the plateau we've seen in the coffee scene (most notably in *$$), is coffee chains trying to create a brand, indy shops trying to create cozy cafés and maximize throughput, some of their consumers feeling proud about supporting fair trade organic, and yet so many shops just not serving up good coffee.  the reality that so many people have never had a really good cup of coffee or really good cappuccino is actually kind of depressing for me.  i love the reactions i get when i invite a noob over for a cup or a capp: "you drink this every day?!"  joy spreading over their faces.  i just want people to know what good coffee is -- that it exists.  so i guess to clarify, i'd hope coffeegeek would emphasize the cup first, the gadgetry as a means to that end, and then everything else would follow.

just to play devil's advocate: flip the script -- maybe some geeks love the clay article because of how much they love the band and not because of the substance?

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
morgan_greywolf
morgan_greywolf

Espresso: PID'd Hamilton-Beach
Grinder: Infinity, Zassenhaus
Vac Pot: I was told they suck. :-)
Drip: AeroPress
Roaster: Cattle Dog Roasters
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 7:57pm
Subject: Re: jars of clay - coffeegeeks?, the cafe stage

Well, I like lots of different styles of music, though I don't tend to listen to much Christian music, being non-Christian myself.  Knowing how much skill and creativity it really takes to write, produce, and perform music (just ask our double-platinum songwriter, IMAWriter) I really do respect all those who choose to undertake the tasks involved.

I'll say the interview was pretty good.  The questions were well thought out and well-targeted for this audience.  Bravo, Jason!

http://lowendespresso.blogspot.com/
Ever mind that water purifies the machine, but espresso purifies the soul!
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 8:52pm

I love thier music and was glad to see the interview here. Its hard for Christians to gain secular recognition often times because of the message.So many cross over and compromise to try to reach a larger audience..they dont give grammys away for nothing so when you get three that says something. Good job. That they love coffee was a nice part I enjoyed reading about. I bet heaven as the perfect espresso blend....:)
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
joshmcneilly
joshmcneilly
Expertise: Pro Barista

Drip: V60, Beehouse
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 10:31pm
Subject: Re: Jars of Clay - CoffeeGeeks?, The Cafe Stage

JARS!  I didn't know you guys liked coffee!  Nice!  I'm one of the riders on this year's Ride:Well Bike Tour, benefitting Blood:Water Mission and their work in sub-saharan Africa!  I'll be keeping blogs on the way (check http://www.ridewelltour.org/profile/JoshuaMcNeilly to see the blog from the trip, which starts June 11th).  Anyone who reads this may also be interested that I'll be talking a little about the good coffee I find along the way, as I'm a long-time barista/frequenter of good coffee shops.  I'll be writing about several shops I'm excited about visiting, like Intelli's new Venice store, Cafe Luxxe, LaMill, Crema, and Blue Bottle.  Look for those reviews/comments at www.pacificportico/blogspot.com .   Thanks, guys.  Keep writing dope music, and drink more spro.  I hope I get to meet y'all somewhere on the tour!
syscrusher

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus III
Grinder: Macap M4, NS Grinta,...
Vac Pot: Yama TCA3, Bodum Santos
Drip: Chemex 6 Cup, Mellita Cones
Roaster: Behmore 1600, Iroast2
Posted Thu May 14, 2009, 1:08am
Subject: Re: Jars of Clay - CoffeeGeeks?, The Cafe Stage

I have no idea who Jars of Clay are (maybe I'll take this opportunity to check them out), so I can't be accused of having a bias, nor should it really matter.

While it's always nice to see some new content on Coffeegeek (big c), I will say this - the interview didn't suggest to me that Charlie Lowell was a coffeegeek (small c). Either that or the bar for coffeegeek has been set pretty low.
Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: yes
Grinder: yes
Vac Pot: no
Drip: no
Roaster: yes
Posted Thu May 14, 2009, 7:15am

harrymanback Said:

*boo*

sorry to rain on the parade, but not my kind of music.  

Posted May 12, 2009 link

+1, i think it was just a promotion for their new album. i guess everyone has their own idea of what "good music" is. it is like coffee. i think if this was a music site they would be looked at more like starbucks or dunkin doughnuts. just like some people are fine with mc donalds coffee, some are fine with crappy music. it is not their fault they don't know any better or don't want too. just because someone sells a million albums or has a million views on you tube or sells a million cups of coffee does not make them or it good. this is all just my opinion though.

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
jdominy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: AeroPress, Chemex
Roaster: Dilworth Coffee
Posted Fri May 15, 2009, 1:32pm

Wow. Don't know where to start with this one. Hmmmm, let's see. First off, at no point was this a promotion for their new album, and I wonder how out of all the questions that were coffee related, you tried to pull that out. Second, this interview was not about their music, it was about their love of good coffee, and how what they do with Blood:Water has everything to do with that, especially seeing as alot of the places they are helping to get clean water wells dug and HIV and Malaria help in are coffee producing areas. Again, at what point did you think it was about their music? Also, what kind of person makes a comment like that not knowing the facts? Have you heard their latest album. My friends will tell you, I listen to some of the best indie/rock/alternative music out there, and I think that their latest CD is one of the best this year, so far. But again, this is not an interview or article about music, it's about coffee.

I don't care if you don't like their music. Not at all. If you listen to their new stuff and think it's crap, that's cool. it's your opinion, but don't relate your bias towards their music, or perceived genre of music towards an article about coffee, which is what this site is about. And for the record, again, I thought about doing this because since I have known them and of them, they have been into good coffee. I remember almost 7 years taking them around downtown Athens, and all that wanted to know was where was the best independent coffee. I took them to Blue Sky Coffee, at that time the best shop in Athens, and they loved it, bought stickers to put on their gear, and would still remember it. I read their tweets everyday, and they are at CREMA almost everyday, one of the best, if not best, coffeeshops in Nashville. (If they're not on the road, of course.) They talk about the drinks they get there from Rachel with unabashed passion. Also, what are your favorite bands doing to help coffee farmers in Africa? Or people in Rwanda?

So, thanks for your comments and opinion, although I don't agree, and feel they are misguided and inaccurate. And again, let's try to remember that this is not an elite club people have to be asked into. This coffee community has to be open and accessible to all, because good coffee is accessible to all. There are no gatekeepers into our world, and shouldn't be. Anyone who enjoys good coffee and espresso, making it or drinking it, is open into the community. Whatever style music they play or listen to. That's what a coffeegeek is. All about respect, and that's all I'm sayin.

Bitches_Brew Said:

+1, i think it was just a promotion for their new album. i guess everyone has their own idea of what "good music" is. it is like coffee. i think if this was a music site they would be looked at more like starbucks or dunkin doughnuts. just like some people are fine with mc donalds coffee, some are fine with crappy music. it is not their fault they don't know any better or don't want too. just because someone sells a million albums or has a million views on you tube or sells a million cups of coffee does not make them or it good. this is all just my opinion though.

Posted May 14, 2009 link

Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew

Posted Fri May 15, 2009, 3:22pm

jdominy Said:

Wow. Don't know where to start with this one. Hmmmm, let's see. First off, at no point was this a promotion for their new album, and I wonder how out of all the questions that were coffee related, you tried to pull that out. Second, this interview was not about their music, it was about their love of good coffee, and how what they do with Blood:Water has everything to do with that, especially seeing as alot of the places they are helping to get clean water wells dug and HIV and Malaria help in are coffee producing areas. Again, at what point did you think it was about their music? Also, what kind of person makes a comment like that not knowing the facts? Have you heard their latest album. My friends will tell you, I listen to some of the best indie/rock/alternative music out there, and I think that their latest CD is one of the best this year, so far. But again, this is not an interview or article about music, it's about coffee.

I don't care if you don't like their music. Not at all. If you listen to their new stuff and think it's crap, that's cool. it's your opinion, but don't relate your bias towards their music, or perceived genre of music towards an article about coffee, which is what this site is about. And for the record, again, I thought about doing this because since I have known them and of them, they have been into good coffee. I remember almost 7 years taking them around downtown Athens, and all that wanted to know was where was the best independent coffee. I took them to Blue Sky Coffee, at that time the best shop in Athens, and they loved it, bought stickers to put on their gear, and would still remember it. I read their tweets everyday, and they are at CREMA almost everyday, one of the best, if not best, coffeeshops in Nashville. (If they're not on the road, of course.) They talk about the drinks they get there from Rachel with unabashed passion. Also, what are your favorite bands doing to help coffee farmers in Africa? Or people in Rwanda?

So, thanks for your comments and opinion, although I don't agree, and feel they are misguided and inaccurate. And again, let's try to remember that this is not an elite club people have to be asked into. This coffee community has to be open and accessible to all, because good coffee is accessible to all. There are no gatekeepers into our world, and shouldn't be. Anyone who enjoys good coffee and espresso, making it or drinking it, is open into the community. Whatever style music they play or listen to. That's what a coffeegeek is. All about respect, and that's all I'm sayin.

Posted May 15, 2009 link

i respect their love for good coffee and ESPECIALLY the work they do. i'm sure they are a bunch of great guys. i just don't like their music and was making a comparison with coffee. like espresso machines and cars. like i said everyone has different tastes in music and coffee. sorry for any offense.

"You can write down how to make the perfect cup of coffee. But to make it really good, you have to play something fictional, you have to dress up, you have to think, This is the most important thing."
jdominy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: AeroPress, Chemex
Roaster: Dilworth Coffee
Posted Fri May 15, 2009, 3:36pm

No worries. Again, all about respect, and I respect your opinion, as well, just wanted to make sure people didn't misunderstand my motives for the article. I can't wait to give them the Aeropress and coffee tomorrow in Asheville. (And as much as the music goes, i ask you to give their new music a spin on iTunes. It's leaps better in terms of quality than most of their older stuff.)

Bitches_Brew Said:

i respect their love for good coffee and ESPECIALLY the work they do. i'm sure they are a bunch of great guys. i just don't like their music and was making a comparison with coffee. like espresso machines and cars. like i said everyone has different tastes in music and coffee. sorry for any offense.

Posted May 15, 2009 link

Bitches_Brew
Bitches_Brew

Posted Fri May 15, 2009, 4:04pm

jdominy Said:

No worries. Again, all about respect, and I respect your opinion, as well, just wanted to make sure people didn't misunderstand my motives for the article. I can't wait to give them the Aeropress and coffee tomorrow in Asheville. (And as much as the music goes, i ask you to give their new music a spin on iTunes. It's leaps better in terms of quality than most of their older stuff.)

Posted May 15, 2009 link

right on.:) i'm sure they will love the aeropress. i'll bet it will come in handy on the road.

i started a thread titled good music for good coffee. you should post a link to one of their songs or a video from youtube on there.

showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Jars of Clay -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.329133033752)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+