Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Jars of Clay - CoffeeGeeks?, The Cafe Stage
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Jars of Clay -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
jdominy

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: AeroPress, Chemex
Roaster: Dilworth Coffee
Posted Mon May 11, 2009, 11:00pm
Subject: Jars of Clay - CoffeeGeeks?, The Cafe Stage

Jars of Clay - CoffeeGeeks?
The Cafe Stage article by Jason Dominy

Jason Dominy of Dilworth Coffee interviews Charlie Lowell of the Grammy Award winning band, Jars of Clay about his long love for coffee and espresso, with some discussion about the band's charitable efforts in Africa.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
beata
beata
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Speedster
Grinder: Anfim
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Cone
Roaster: Popcorn Popper
Posted Tue May 12, 2009, 10:37am
Subject: Re: Jars of Clay - CoffeeGeeks?, The Cafe Stage

Jason, thanks for interviewing Jars of Clay! I will definitely check out their music - and hey, they even have an entry on Wikipedia, lol.
 View Profile Link to this post
fatnat79

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Grimac Mini
Grinder: K30 ES
Vac Pot: Yama / Bodum Santos
Drip: Bodum French Press
Roaster: Gene Cafe / Popcorn Roaster
Posted Tue May 12, 2009, 12:03pm

I really enjoyed reading that interview, thanks Jason and Charlie!

Liked the band and their music but now that I find out they're Coffegeeks too?? I LOVE them!!

Best of luck to you and the band with your music, Africa and coffee!

-Nate
caldwa

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi
Grinder: Compak K3
Posted Tue May 12, 2009, 12:35pm

This is awesome! Jars of Clay has been my favorite band since I was a kid....thanks so much for doing this interview!
KingTermite
KingTermite

Espresso: Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: n/a
Roaster: Behmor 3000
Posted Tue May 12, 2009, 2:31pm

Great interview!

I saw them in concert way back when they were brand new at Bell Shoals Baptist Church (Brandon, FL). I took two of my cousins (kids at the time) to it. I remember chatting with the lead singer in the hall outside for about 20 minutes after the concert. Great guy!
pixelberry
pixelberry

Espresso: Silvia, Aeropress
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Tue May 12, 2009, 3:58pm

Wow, fantastic interview!! Thank you, Jason. This totally made my day.

I've been a fan of Jars since I was a kid. My dad actually played cello on many of their albums, so he's known those guys for years and years, and he has always spoken so highly of them. I didn't have the chance to meet them until a few years ago when they performed at my college (Pepperdine University, 2006). It was a fantastic concert, and I really enjoyed chatting with them after the show. I'm glad to know they love good coffee!

Nashville is my home town, although I haven't been back in almost a year. I've actually been planning a short visit this summer, centered around visiting family and checking out Crema (the place mentioned in the interview.) Glad to know it's getting good reviews! I can't wait to check it out.

Thanks again! :)
harrymanback
harrymanback
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: expobar brewtus ii
Grinder: la cimbali md6, baratza...
Drip: nah...bodum press(es)
Roaster: modded wear•ever popcorn...
Posted Tue May 12, 2009, 9:39pm
Subject: re: jars of clay - coffeegeeks?, the cafe stage

*boo*

sorry to rain on the parade, but not my kind of music.  and in reading the interview, i didn't see anything to justify the "coffeegeeks" title.  i do think it's an overall good idea trying to branch out into interviews with musicians / celebrities to try to promote specialty coffee -- and i think the previous interview with a rockstar was worthy of geekdom -- but this one missed the mark for me.  i know it may be hard just getting these types of interviews, but if the results of the interviews are like this, i say don't even post them.

example: i heard in a recent audio interview that buzz osborne of the melvins loves coffee.  and yet while i consider him a groundbreaking musician and the melvins one of my favorite bands, i wouldn't want to see an interview with him posted here unless his coffee knowledge was equally in tune.  

harry.

"i should pull up the hardwood to see if there's carpet underneath! . . . no, that's never the case."
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 12:15am
Subject: Re: jars of clay - coffeegeeks?, the cafe stage

harrymanback Said:

sorry to rain on the parade, but not my kind of music.

Posted May 12, 2009 link

Fair enough comments, but I highlighted the above because I think that's probably the main reason why you didn't like this interview so much - here's why.

Even though Charlie didn't drop info about owning a Vivaldi II, or pouring latte art, or dropping buzzword cafes like Intelligentsia or Stumptown like Steve Page did, the fact is, he's in a band that is wildly popular (and a three time Grammy Award winning band), and he likes good coffee. Sure he's not at the level of coffeegeekism that you or others on CG might be at, but for many of the band's fans, just reading that there's this connection between one of their passions (coffee) outside of the music is what makes this a popular interview with most.

I know if you took one or more of my favourite bands / artists and interviewed them on coffee and they were talking about chains and enjoying espresso and liking the culture of the cafe, I'd be geeking out regardless of the lack of mention of PIDing their own machine, etc.

Just a thought.

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
jdominy

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Jolly
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: AeroPress, Chemex
Roaster: Dilworth Coffee
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 4:33am

Okay, so it would be easy enough for me to come on here and say why I think this interview is cool, simply because they are a band I really enjoy listening to, there is much more to this than my musical preference. My definition of a coffeegeek would one who seeks out really good coffee, and ways to create it. Whether that be espresso or coffee. And in this interview, that definition is met. The fact that they go out of their way to seek small, independent shops flies in the face of all the other bands you see walking around with $tarbucks cups. The fact that their favorite coffeehouse is a really cool independent coffeehouse that is now serving the fine coffee of Topeca meets that definition. The fact that they not only think about the farmers when they drink the coffee, but are ACTIVELY working to do something about it through Blood:Water, makes them worthy of that title.

Now, I can see how the "drinking Starbucks on the bus" comment was a little disallusioning, at least it was to me, it's probably done out of sheer convenience, which I don't say I agree with. I will be giving him an AeroPress when I see him this weekend, and some good coffee, so hopefully we can help a little with that. But, it's good to see we are all at different levels of our "geekdom." One doesn't have to know what a Chemex is to be a geek, or how to use a naked portafilter. Again, I wasn't there when I joined this site in 2004, but we all start somewhere, and these fine guys are well on their way. Plus, it's always good to see how important indie shops are to the lives of many people, musicians at this level included. Nashville has a good circle of independent coffeeshops (CREMA, Ugly Mugs, Bongo Java, just to name a couple,) but I still know musicians that think the green monster is the cat's meow. So, points taken, but I think it's still a worthy interview, whether I wrote it or not. (Plus it gives us an insight as to how people like that view our niche industry.)
stevekessler
stevekessler

Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Chemex, Glass Syphon, Pour...
Posted Wed May 13, 2009, 4:19pm

Great read Jason!!
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Jars of Clay -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.327774047852)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+