Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
USBC Perspectives 2009, Professionally Speaking
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > USBC...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
sammy

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Fri Mar 20, 2009, 12:00am
Subject: USBC Perspectives 2009, Professionally Speaking

USBC Perspectives 2009
Professionally Speaking article by Sammy Piccolo

Sammy Piccolo, Canada's four time national Barista Champion and entrant into the 2009 WBC, heads to Portland to attend the 2009 US Barista Championship.
 View Profile Link to this post
IMAWriter
IMAWriter
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, Preciso/Esatto, KyM...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Fri Mar 20, 2009, 9:42pm
Subject: Re: USBC Perspectives 2009, Professionally Speaking

Sammy,
Thanks for the nice introductions to these fine baristi, many whose names I know, but whose concoctions I've yet to enjoy, yours included.
Your obvious affection for these folks, as well as an enjoyment of THEIR unique qualities shows you to be a fine person, and as a dad, I can believe your children will benefit from your generous nature.
Now to the coffee!
As a "purist" (probably because I'm incapable of whipping up exotic creations) who relishes a nice pull from my Cremina, I wonder:
Do you feel the signature drinks have become more important in the judging scheme than maybe 5 years ago?
When I do hit a cafe out of town, I always ask "who pulls the best espresso in town?"
Also, has there been an occasion at these competitions where you've felt that style won out over substance?
Rock on!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
sammy

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2009, 9:29am

thanks for the Kind words! You seem like quite the musician from checking out your site! I think signature drinks have come a long way; I remember being one of the first to do an induction cooker or a drink with steps but now there's some drinks out there that are just jaw dropping like Devin's at the USBC. With  that being said the  espresso has always and even more today is by far the most important drink at the competitions.T o answer your question if style wins over substance? I'd say no; every barista to win the WBC so far has in my opinion been the right choice. When I competed I am sure I did a good job but I wasn't at the time the right person to represent coffee and I was close but no cigar when it came to the cup.

Hope that answered your question
THANKS
Sammy
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:02am

Sammy, yes, answered.
It's good to know that your field of expertise is still about content.
In music, seems like the Taylor Swift's of the world dominate.
Occasionally you get the Jason Mraz's.
(I know I'm about to get ripped)
Sorry to take your topic OFF topic.
Interesting you also mentioned how many baristi were usuing high acidity coffee's (Guat, Colombian, etc) for thier SO's.
You'd think it would tear your eyebrows off. We home roaster's are so used to the Brazilian/Yemen/ occasional El Salvador thing.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
sammy

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2009, 10:27am

I don't know if their coffees were high acidity? I didn't try them. But I trust the barista and the roaster would come together to put out the best coffee possible. I think the benefit of  using a single origin ( although I haven't) you get to focus on one farm, one coffee; it makes it easier to describe the coffee a at the same time you are doing a lot for that farm you are representing; you are almost and ambassador for the farm
Sammy
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Posted Sat Mar 21, 2009, 1:41pm

I guess that's what makes a pro roaster a pro roaster, and a pro barista....etc.
My Guat roasts are WAY too bright for an espresso shot, at least through the Cremina. Same with the Colombians I roasted.

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
www.robertjason.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > USBC...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.273228168488)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+