Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
A Ritual Coffee Experience by Karen Hamilton
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > A Ritual Coffee...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DonSt
DonSt

Espresso: La Marzocco GS/3
Grinder: Vario
Roaster: Temple Coffee
Posted Tue Nov 18, 2008, 7:26pm
Subject: Re: A Ritual Coffee Experience by Karen Hamilton

GaryH Said:

So how does the basic French press coffee taste differ from the "stir and scoop method" French press coffee?

Posted November 17, 2008 link

I would think that removing some of the grinds would allow the 'plunge' to go easier, thereby having fewer grinds slip by the filter. Probably no taste difference here, but a cleaner cup with fewer bitter grinds floating around. Also, any remaining coffee in the presspot after pouring the initial cups might be less mucky from sitting in with all of the grinds below the filter. I haven't tried it yet because I love my espresso fix, but next time I need a cup "to go" I'll try it.

-Don
 View Profile Link to this post
GaryH
GaryH
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro
Grinder: Macap M4 Doserless
Vac Pot: none
Drip: yes
Roaster: none
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 2:15am

This and stir and scoop method works great! Itís so simple to do. So far Iíve used it with five different coffee beans. I canít do a blind taste test but IMO the stir and scoop method makes for a better and cleaner tasting coffee compared to the standard method of making press pot coffee. I donít weigh the beans but I grind 11tbs whole beans, which is about 61 grams of the Ritual Guatemala San Jose El Yalu beans, using a setting of 35 above zero on my Rocky. So that is quite a bit finer than the grinds shown in the photo in this article. I put the grinds into a preheated 32 oz press pot and pour in 202F water to the 26oz mark. Let it sit for about 40 seconds to bloom.

GaryH: Ritual_Guatemala_FP_1a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 2:16am

At 40 seconds I stir the grounds and add more 202F water to bring the liquid level back to 26oz volume. Place a saucer on top of the press pot and wait till 3í30Ē when I remove the saucer and scoop off the grounds which are floating on top of the coffee.

GaryH: Ritual_Guatemala_FP_2a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
GaryH
GaryH

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 2:16am

At four minutes I press down the plunger, which is much easier with the grounds floating on top removed, and then I pour the coffee. Iíve now used the stir and scoop press pot method at home using Ritual Guatemala San Jose El Yalu, Verve Sidamo Dale, Stumptown Sumatra Lake Tawar, Peetís Sumatra Blue Batak, and Red Rock Mexico Nayarit beans. Iím very pleased with the quality of the coffee. With the scoop method there are a lot fewer fines in the bottom of the coffee cup.

I had the Guatemala San Jose El Yalu coffee made on the Clover at Ritual (38 grams of finely ground beans brewed in 30 seconds to get 12oz coffee). Using the same beans with the same roast date, I actually made better tasting coffee at home on my press pot using the stir and scoop method! For me that is quite an accomplishment.

GaryH: Ritual_Guatemala_FP_3a.jpg
(Click for larger image)
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 4:27am

In case you missed it, I put a video up of the technique, but omitted the stir portion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfN116i4mVg

Enjoy :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SamwiseGrangee
SamwiseGrangee
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 11:34am

I haven't thought of doing that before.  But now that I think about it, I bet it would have some substantial taste differences.  Because you're not pushing the grounds through the entire pot so much, wouldn't there be less oils throughout the pot?  This would result in some more delicate flavors that usually get covered up by the grounds on their way down.  Am I on to something?  It seems like the Clover and the Aeropress let those more delicate flavors through because the beans don't go throughout the whole pot.
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sat Jan 24, 2009, 1:19pm

SamwiseGrangee Said:

I haven't thought of doing that before.  But now that I think about it, I bet it would have some substantial taste differences.  Because you're not pushing the grounds through the entire pot so much, wouldn't there be less oils throughout the pot?  This would result in some more delicate flavors that usually get covered up by the grounds on their way down.  Am I on to something?  It seems like the Clover and the Aeropress let those more delicate flavors through because the beans don't go throughout the whole pot.

Posted January 24, 2009 link

Bingo ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > A Ritual Coffee...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.259167909622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+