Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Recapping the Summer by Mark Prince
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Recapping the...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Sep 14, 2008, 12:00am
Subject: Recapping the Summer by Mark Prince

Recapping the Summer
by Mark Prince

We take a look at a multitude of coffee related events this summer; give some recommendations on great coffees, and have not one, but two how tos on iced coffee - better late than never!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rasqual
rasqual
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Mon Sep 15, 2008, 3:16pm
Subject: Re: Recapping the Summer by Mark Prince

Hey, your pictures are nicer!

;-)

Good to see the Aeropress getting props.
GHHowell
GHHowell

Posted Tue Sep 16, 2008, 8:40am

Dear Mark,

Thank you for sharing Terroir Coffee's formula for iced coffee.  I want to post one correction, however, so anyone trying it gets it right.  

Your post says we recommend fine grind.  No!  We recommend DRIP grind, substantially coarser.  Here is where one can locate our full instructions: http://www.terroircoffee.com/content/view/272/ .  I know, also, how labyrinthine websites can get, so if you see a different set of instructions on our site, please let me know so we can, in turn, correct!

Here is the specific grind we recommend:

BurrGrinder: Setting = medium drip grind = 28 on a Baratza Virtuoso.

For us, MEDIUM=DRIP per the following table:

PERCENTAGE OF PARTICLE SIZES FOR VARIOUS GRINDS

Regular   Drip   Fine  
 10/14 Sieves   35%      8%       2%  
 20/28 Sieves   42%      65%    62%  
 Pan                  13%      27%      36%  
                        100%  100%  100%
Particle Size     925      775      645  

Source: Modern Process Equipment, Inc.
1 micron = 0.001mm  
Sieve mesh sizes are Tyler screens

Thanks again - and, as always, with much appreciation for the great service Coffeegeek does for our community.  You keep the pot stirring!

George
SuburbanLatte
SuburbanLatte
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno PM Prof
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2 & Yama SY-5
Drip: Chemex, Hario V60  & AP
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Tue Sep 16, 2008, 5:28pm

Well done, Mark - thank you.  Your photos of ice coffee preparation helped a great deal (I'd heard of the AP inverted method before, but couldn't quite 'picture' it).  Just made two cups (first was super strong - wow) and both were fantastic, and I've had hundred of ice coffees in Japan, arguably the king of ice coffee.  Now, I'd love to hear more about your one of a kind AP filter!

George - when you say Virtuoso at 28, what kind of preparation are we taking?  Technivorm?  I just did 2 in an inverted Aeropress at Virtuoso 14 and they were great (enough 'give' to generate the bar or so of pressure it's supposed to produce, without breaking the glass or my arm).

Cheers,
Sean
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008, 3:24am

MarkPrince Said:

for a normal Aeropress, I use 16-18g for 200ml of water

Posted September 14, 2008 link

Any idea why your formula is so radically different from SCAA recommendations (and the recommendations of many other organizations)? Their formula for 200ml water would be approx 11-12g dry coffee. You must like it STRONG, and, of course, you probably get sent a lot of coffee at no charge.  ;-)

Also, FWIW, "200ml of water" is an ambiguous measure unless you specify the temperature at which the water is measured. For example, 200ml of water at room temp expands to approx 207ml at brew temp. This inaccuracy is small, but not insignificant.

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
MarkPrince

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008, 3:41am

andys Said:

Any idea why your formula is so radically different from SCAA recommendations (and the recommendations of many other organizations)? Their formula for 200ml water would be approx 11-12g dry coffee. You must like it STRONG, and, of course, you probably get sent a lot of coffee at no charge.  ;-)

Also, FWIW, "200ml of water" is an ambiguous measure unless you specify the temperature at which the water is measured. For example, 200ml of water at room temp expands to approx 207ml at brew temp. This inaccuracy is small, but not insignificant.

Posted September 17, 2008 link

Andy, this ain't drip coffee. It's a different brewing method, and in fact, is more akin to the Clover than to a drip coffee maker.

Remember, the SCAA has no set standard (yet) for press pot coffee or full immersion brewed coffee. Their only published standard (which, IMO, I think should be evolved) is for flow through drip, AFAIK.

One could ask "why do you use so little coffee? - After all, my favourite local Clover cafe is using 40+ grams for an 8oz cup!!!"

The aeropress method I use is about a 50-60 second immersion, all factors included (intial pour, stir, steep time, flip, start of pressing down). I've tried longer and shorter; longer tends to mute some flavours and dull acidity. Shorter seems to do the opposite, muting body, and bringing up acidity with most coffees.

I've also experimented with the dosing, going from the standard SCAA recs of 7g of coffee for roughly 120ml, on up to Alan Alder's immensely massive doses. the range I published works best for me, in terms of presenting everything a particular coffee's capable of.

As for your 207 vs. 200 thing, well, geek on, brother. ;)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
rasqual
rasqual

Espresso: *$ Barista, non-pressurized
Grinder: SMP
Vac Pot: Yama, Aeropress
Drip: Porcelain Melitta 103, Hario
Roaster: "ring roaster", mod popper
Posted Wed Sep 17, 2008, 6:21am

I don't think Alan Adler realized early on that a good part of the extraction in an Aero takes place during pressing as the puck forms. This is demonstrated quite easily. Park a screen over the grind in a conventionally charged Aeropress (meaning: not inverted), and pour in the water. Then simply press the water through the constrained grind in the Aero.

Once you've dialed in your grind and the slight "tamp" required to make this work), the cup will be fully extracted. Also, as with the inverted method, all the oils will be present in the cup. Of course, I counsel the use of 5 micron nominal polyester felt below the grind.   ;-)

Gah! I just looked at your pics again, Mark. You're not pressing the bloom through while inverted; see my second to last picture here. Don't you come up short on oils in the cup that way? The bloom -- where most of the oils end up while stirring -- will go through the puck last, resulting in their substantial loss.

rasqual: IMAGE_061.jpg
(Click for larger image)
interference

Espresso: Quickmill Andreja Premium
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Thu Sep 18, 2008, 9:05am

Look's like PT's has already sold out of their limited supply of Beloya.

On the topic of Aeropress, I saw an eerily familiar kitchen gadget in the recent issue of Cook's Illustrated -- the "KitchenArt Adjust-A-Cup."

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=184848
http://www.chefsresource.com/kitchenart-adjust-a-cup.html

I wonder if this was Alan's inspiration.

interference: adjustacup.jpg
(Click for larger image)
 View Profile Link to this post
proshot04
proshot04
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: MACAP MC4 Doserless/ Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama Tabletop 5 Cup
Roaster: i wish
Posted Thu Sep 18, 2008, 11:04pm

I like that glass you used with the Aeropress were did you get  it.
Weasel

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Sep 19, 2008, 12:20am

Sur La Table carries the Schott-Zweisel line of glasses. You might find it there. They have 2 or 3 stores in Illinois.
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Recapping the...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.32867193222)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+