Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
SCAA 2008 Minneapolis Day 3, Road Reports
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA 2008...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
shaneo

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed May 7, 2008, 6:17am
Subject: Re: SCAA 2008 Minneapolis Day 3, Road Reports

That works for me, you do have a point, keeping the stuff in chronological order.    

Shane
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
svyerkgeniiy

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: (-ish) Bialetti moka pot
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Vac Pot: Yama (large 8-cup)
Drip: Technivorm KBT; Clever...
Posted Wed May 7, 2008, 7:44am

MarkPrince Said:

I'm struggling with the annual problem I always have with these reports - keep updating them today and tomorrow (all three days with their various news items), or do a "post show" fourth article with all the news I didn't post.

What are your thoughts? Should I update the three existing day reports, or do a new post show report with everything not currently typed in, well, typed into that article?

Mark

Posted May 6, 2008 link

The update approach could work, if 1) the title was changed to let people know, and 2) the updated sections in the document were also clearly marked.  I've seen several sites that do this, but they're mostly text.  Separate wrap-ups are clearer, but you still have to reference the other material in some specific way that perhaps the original article was not marked up for, either with links or quotations.  People also see them as something new so they'll pay more attention to it.

I think I prefer the wrap-up article, especially if you can be clear about what points in the previous articles you are referring to via quotes, links, or duplication.

Donald Varona
 View Profile Link to this post
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Thu May 8, 2008, 4:47am

MarkPrince Said:

I've been thinking about this all day (while I spent the day pouring over about 600 photographs), and thinking long term, it's probably best if I keep the posts intact to the time they happened.

How about this - I definitely have a wrap up article planned - some post show thoughts, editorial, etc. What I'll do is, over the next few days, update the three days until they're done (I did take about 100 pages of notepad notes with timestamps to slot things in) and then do my post show wrapup, announcing that the three days' reports are finished, and won't be updated again.

Does that work for you guys?

Mark

Posted May 7, 2008 link

Mark,

What I would appreciate are your reflections from 2,000' -- trends you see, shifts in the industry, where the show 'leaves on time,' and where is 'misses the boat.'  This could be part of a wrap up, not so time critical.  It would permit you to put your feet up (those are long days on the floor and my tongue says, 'no mas caffeine.'  

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
BoldJava
BoldJava

Espresso: '82 Oly Cremina 67
Grinder: Macap MC4 Doserless Stepped
Vac Pot: Yamas
Drip: Hario, Beehouse, Cilio, Kone...
Roaster: RK Drum and Gene
Posted Thu May 8, 2008, 4:48am

Mark,

What I would appreciate are your reflections from 2,000' -- trends you see, shifts in the industry, where the show 'leaves on time,' and where it 'misses the boat.'  This could be part of a wrap up, not so time critical.  It would permit you to put your feet up (those are long days on the floor and my tongue says, 'no mas caffeine).'  

B|Java

"On the trail for the goats' grail..."

Dave Borton
St Paul, MN
SuburbanLatte
SuburbanLatte

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno PM Prof
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2 & Yama SY-5
Drip: Chemex, Hario V60  & AP
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Thu May 8, 2008, 10:51pm

Great event coverage and writing, as usual, Mark - thank you.  I would've loved to visit the UCC booth and get hands-on with the new Baratza grinder.  Vicarious experience through you is almost as good!

Just as an FYI - not to be a prig, of course - what many people write (under assorted spellings) as "schwag" should really be SWAG.  It's an acronym for "stuff we all get," usually handouts at trade shows and related events.

Cheers,
Roasting in the 'burbs (most recently a mixed-bag espresso blend with FTO greens from Tanzania, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Ethiopia, Nicaragua and a Costa Rican peaberry - roasted the Africans and Latins separately then blended post-roast).
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
shaneo

Espresso: Barista
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Silex
Drip: Chemex
Posted Mon May 12, 2008, 8:45am

The politics of the coffee world.  I often wish people would just focus on good coffee and not be bothered by the other stuff.  
Did the existing Clover machines suddenly start making bad coffee becaue Starbuck's bought the company that made them?  
If the Colver is really a superior way to brew coffee, I would hope that people could get over the company being owned by Starbucks and continue to use them.  

Shane
fjm

Espresso: Anita/Quickmill
Grinder: Macap M4 (want new stepless)
Posted Mon Jul 21, 2008, 7:23am

The grinder looks very techie.  I can't decide what to think of that look compared to something like my Mazzer Mini or Macap.

So great that you give us the scoop on this stuff.  Thanks Mark.
furlow

Posted Fri Sep 25, 2009, 12:43pm

I know this awhile ago, but thought I would add that I know what you mean. But I wouldn't wear an anti latte t shirt. I'm a new barista (some might say I can't call my self that and I guess I may agree) and would say I don't entirely pay great intention to the quality of espresso, from what I can say my self the flavour is really all about freshness, I'm not too caught up with brands such as lavazza and illy, I sought after freshly roasted coffee, within the week or two weeks. Obviously I can't always get this (although I have just found a local roaster near me in the uk) and the first cup out of the bag of coffee beans bought from the shop is always the best and it really does loose its unqiue flavour and often goes bitter with in 1 week. You all know its not entirely about freshness, but since I recently decided that I needed to spend some extra money on grinder. Producing espresso that tastes good consistently has been possible. I also realise how the 2 in 25 rule isn't something as an industry standard you should strive to get and from what I tasted today (which was 25)  to what I tasted yestarday (about 20-21), the 21 second shot was much better, less bitter and more aroma.

What I really add is anyone trying to achieve latte is surely striving to get a good tasting drink because at the end of the day what is the point of puting something looks nice on something that's ugly underneath. Also you are right about people not knowing the right amounts for the different drinks. just the other day I got what was mean't to be a cappuccino, it had dishwasher soap like foam, tasted like a week latte( maybe they used a single shot) and was way too hot. Which brings me to a new chapter, why so hot? I know coffee is social and people sit around drinking and you don't want it to go cold, but no coffee should burn your tongue if you sip a little too much, there again another reason of not being taught properly. which brings us back around in a circle if the drink is to hot the milk had been burn't which is going to effect the flavour.

So in the end latte art does control part of the flavour, it provides a drive to create properly steaming milk, which encompasses so many of the flavours of espresso based drinks, the foam it self adds to the flavour, the fact that it wont have been steamed passed 150F, the sweetness and it will also be presented nicely.

Both things equally control flavour(unless straight espresso) and I wouldn't diss them because they are spending too much time on latte art, if they are doing it they probably are looking at flavour. ps if sugar is needed in a latte art drink then something is defiantly wrong.

Visit my blog http://homemachine.wordpress.com/ to view the wonderful world of espresso machine building!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > SCAA 2008...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.24324297905)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+