Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
March Coffeeings and Starbucks Watch! by Mark Prince
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > March Coffeeings...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
Author Messages
Jeff_K
Jeff_K
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: LaCimbali Junior D/1,...
Grinder: LaCimbali Junior, Rio...
Drip: Presto Scandinavian, Bodum...
Roaster: Hottop KN8828, Kitchen...
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 10:08pm
Subject: Re: March Coffeeings and Starbucks Watch! by Mark Prince

I received a card that came from a local newspaper (Red Eye I believe) that you can bring in every Wednesday until the end of May for a free tall Pike's Place coffee - well, I went this evening for one and they made me wait because they were brewing it as I ordered.  It was pretty strong/dark which is different than I normally like my coffee but I drank it black and it was drinkable.  I could never drink their other drip blends black, but I still prefer my own home roasted and press-brewed coffee.  Still, might as well get a few free coffees out of it.  The regular price for the tall was almost $1.80 which I would hesitate to pay if I had to.  That's the cost of 1/4 to 1/3 pound of green coffee that I know I will enjoy.
 View Profile Link to this post
wjb0617
wjb0617
Expertise: Professional

Posted Sun May 4, 2008, 1:46am

I find it admirable that the Bux is trying to get back to its roots.  I'm of the opinion that the second Howard stepped down as CEO back in 2001(?) was when things started going downhill.  At least they're taking a step in the right direction by roast dating their PPR.  I may not agree with their hold time, but hey, I'm a coffee snob.
What really gets me is the propaganda spewing forth from the Siren's lips.  That and the fact that they're trying to capitalize on what many smaller micro roasters have been doing for years...offering FRESH coffee to their patrons.  Need I bring up where Starbuck's got its start?  Jerry Baldwin studied under Alfred and in the first two years of operation, was supplied by Alfred.  At least they have managed to maintain their standards for the past 42 years while still trying to grow.  In the end, all this marketing is just a fad.  Will it help the Bux?  Maybe in the short run, but they're too large now to maintain any sort of quality control or freshness standard(the last time i ventured into a Starbuck's and picked up a one pound bag of coffee, the sell by date was 9 months out...uhhh- gross!)

Howard and Starbuck's has done an admirable job of bringing coffee culture to the world.  Lets hope they get this right and show us all what made them great in the first place.  I know i wouldnt have a job if it weren't for the impact they have had on our culture.
dolcimelo

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Elektra SXCD, Aero Press,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Vac Pot: Cona B
Drip: Not since getting the tap...
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Thu May 8, 2008, 5:25am

wjb0617 Said:

Howard and Starbuck's has done an admirable job of bringing coffee culture to the world.

Posted May 4, 2008 link

Excuse me? What world are you living in?
edwardtszeng

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jun 9, 2008, 9:09pm

dolcimelo Said:

Excuse me? What world are you living in?

Posted May 8, 2008 link

Uncalled for.  

Mark Prince is spot on with realizing that despite the substantial imperfections of Starbucks' vision, the company undeniably has increased coffee's visibility.  Along with him, I sure wouldn't have a job either and would for certain not be a coffeehead today if not for Starbuck's existence.

Edward
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Versalab M3 Grinder
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Mon Jun 9, 2008, 10:11pm

I think there's three (maybe four) camps of people when it comes to Starbucks

Camp A just dislikes them because it's trendy to do so.
Camp B admires the roots of the company and what they've done for specialty coffee, but feel the company has long ago lost its way, and become generic, "fast food" (I'm in that camp)
Camp C just loves Starbucks and anything they offer
Camp D just likes coffee, and Starbucks is as good as any.

I have no problems with vocal criticism of Starbucks - but I always feel it should be backed up with some facts, and not just a cool-kid crowd mentality.

BTW, my prediction on the free wifi for card holders - came true last week! :)

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Shellie
Shellie
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Apr 30, 2009, 11:39am

I'm glad to see that Starbucks is working on quality and not quantity. (Although the Quad Venti would be amusing to see as their "next big thing") As for the aesthetics of the old brown to the new green, I personally enjoy the green more...A lot of coffee shops go with the brown color scheme.

Just my two-cents.
the_coffee_nazi
the_coffee_nazi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Macap M4, Barazta Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Jul 29, 2009, 11:04am

On one of recent visits to Starbucks, I was unable to locate any roast or "scooped" date on Pikes beans. Did I miss something?

Steve

No Coffee for you!
showing page 4 of 4 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > March Coffeeings...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.236438989639)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+