Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
March Coffeeings and Starbucks Watch! by Mark Prince
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > March Coffeeings...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
caferacer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2008, 12:29pm
Subject: Re: March Coffeeings and Starbucks Watch! by Mark Prince

hmmm. That being the case, I am surprised the pbtc did not know the roast date because I did see a couple of the bullet bags. Clearly I should have checked those. In any event this is a good development since I frequently have few options beyond Starbucks when travelling. Will try some drip next time.

Still, why wouldn't they put the roast date on the 1 lb bags?
 View Profile Link to this post
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sat Apr 12, 2008, 12:55pm

caferacer Said:

hmmm. That being the case, I am surprised the pbtc did not know the roast date because I did see a couple of the bullet bags. Clearly I should have checked those. In any event this is a good development since I frequently have few options beyond Starbucks when travelling. Will try some drip next time.

Still, why wouldn't they put the roast date on the 1 lb bags?

Posted April 12, 2008 link

The only thing I can think of regarding no roast date on 1 lb. bags is due to their possibly not trusting the store employees using due diligence when bagging the 1 pounders from the 5 pound bags, and properly transferring roast date.  (The 5 pound bags, I would guess, are "officially" dated at the origin location of the roast.)

Len
CoffeeRoastersClub.com

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

Bitcoin Merchant www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
markm3

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: UNIC Phoenix R...
Grinder: Bunn GBaratza,  Rossi...
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: Bunn HG, Fetco...
Roaster: Counter Culture and Gimme
Posted Sun Apr 13, 2008, 12:46pm

stevieboy9 Said:

It is my understanding that the "roasted on" date is on the 5 lb bullet bag.  They should have been able to tell you the roasted date or a reasonably close approximation date by looking at the next 5 lb bag to be used.  Each "scooped" 1LB or 1/2LB bag comes from a bullet bag that was opened that day.  Each 5 lb bullet MUST be used within 2 weeks of roasting date.  Each open bag of PPR must be used within 24 hours.  

Steve in Ft. Worth

Posted April 12, 2008 link

I observed stacks of the 5lb bags with a roast date of March 21 and March 25. That was on April 12. Clearly two weeks past roast date. (Yeah its only a few days past, but it's still past the cut off)

What is being done with these ?

It is possible they are just for "display". But I'm curious to go back a week from now and see if they are still there.

I think the "fresh scooped" is just a ploy to make some  feel the coffee was roasted that day.
Like those that think "fresh baked" is the same as "made from scratch by your granny".
OtterFrylock
OtterFrylock

Espresso: Aeroppress
Grinder: Cuisenart Burr
Drip: Keurig B-40
Roaster: various home rigs
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2008, 5:45am

I was pleasantly surprised by Pike's Place Roast. It was the best cup of coffee I've ever received at Starbucks and a darn good start if they care to turn things around.
stevieboy9

Espresso: Olympia Cremina
Grinder: Preciso; OE Pharos
Vac Pot: Cona, Hario
Drip: Chemex;Aeropress;Technivorm
Roaster: tabletop drum; Poppery 1;
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:11am

markm3 Said:

I observed stacks of the 5lb bags with a roast date of March 21 and March 25. That was on April 12. Clearly two weeks past roast date. (Yeah its only a few days past, but it's still past the cut off)

What is being done with these ?

It is possible they are just for "display". But I'm curious to go back a week from now and see if they are still there.

I think the "fresh scooped" is just a ploy to make some  feel the coffee was roasted that day.
Like those that think "fresh baked" is the same as "made from scratch by your granny".

Posted April 13, 2008 link

The 5 lb bullet bags are vacuum sealed and are being sold to the public at a 20% discount from the regular $9.95/lb price.  In other words, 5lbs for $39.95.  The Store will continue to use only PPR that is within 2 weeks of being roasted.

There should be a prominent sign posted on the drink menu that tells the roasting date of the coffee that is being served that day.  Perhaps you may have missed seeing it.  However, it is possible someone at the store may not have posted the sign correctly.  People do sometimes make mistakes.  I know that I do :-). In either case if you feel uncomfortable about a company policy just ask the shift leader or manager to clarify or explain.  BTW, did you try a cup of the PPR coffee?  What were your impressions?

Steve in Ft. Worth

Steve in Ft. Worth

"What in the wide, wide world of sports's a-goin' on here?!"
JVBorella
JVBorella

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2008, 7:27pm

I guess I'm the odd man out here as I thought the cup of PPR I got at Starbucks the other day was awful. All I could taste was burnt beans (carbon?) & even after adding half & half I threw it away after drinking only half the cup.

John
toenail

Espresso: Modified Saeco Aroma
Grinder: Kyocera, Maestro
Drip: Bialetti Moka, Bodum press
Posted Tue Apr 15, 2008, 10:53pm

I finally got a chance to try some of this as a freebie with purchase of 1lb Sumatra decaf beans for the wife. I was pretty disappointed with the overall outcome. Mine was too hot to drink for at least 10 minutes. I thought the flavor profile was a bit sour and grassy(?), at least compared to what I'm used to. I'm no expert, but it didn't remind me much of "fresh roasted" coffee. The Barista's were all over the map as far as product knowledge. The one who waited on me mentioned that it was fairly bold, while the girl behind her corrected her by stating that it was actually intended to be pretty mild. If they were aiming for Dunkin' Donuts customers (as I've heard some imply) they actually came pretty close. To me a D.D. coffee without any cream or sugar to mask the flavor is nothing to be savored. I always get this "ashtray full of cigarette butts" sort of odor from it and the Pike's Place seemed to have a bit of that. YMMV
eddo3

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 4:43am

I tried a cup yesterday and bought a half pound to bring home. As usual, the store bought cup was too hot for my taste, so I was prepared to be disappointed. The beans however, still smelled fresh - there was a roasted-on-date chalkboard behind the register that stated March 20, York, PA (I think). So the 2 week rule is kind of out the window.  The bag was scooped and a label filled out with scooped on date and the name of the scooper.

When I got home I ground up a cup for my melitta pourover and was pleasantly surprised.  I've been buying locally roasted coffee from Mayorga (a local, Maryland roaster - usually no more than a few days out of the roaster) and another mom & pop roaster and this coffee didn't disappoint when I made it to my spec - 3 well rounded (7gm) scoops of beans per 12 oz water.

I'd buy it again.
frankEboy

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 7:43am

I assume they're never gonna get the roasting issue solved at their volume.
So, here's my never-gonna-happen idea: maybe Starbucks can announce that they'll start selling fine cigars.

If I'm enjoying a fine cigar, I'll hardly notice the over-roasted, past-freshness taste of the coffee.
I'll even sit out side so the non-smokers don't protest.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
the_coffee_nazi
the_coffee_nazi

Espresso: Vivaldi II
Grinder: Macap M4, Barazta Virtuoso
Drip: Chemex
Posted Wed Apr 16, 2008, 7:52am

JVBorella Said:

I guess I'm the odd man out here as I thought the cup of PPR I got at Starbucks the other day was awful. All I could taste was burnt beans (carbon?) & even after adding half & half I threw it away after drinking only half the cup.

Posted April 15, 2008 link

not any more. I went yesterday and the counter person told me that it would be a few minutes as they were brewing a new batch. I saw that as a positive - however, she said it's on the house because you have to wait.  It was truly horrible - even freshly brewed.  I didn't think it had much flavor at all.  I'll try it again in a couple of weeks - but you can't fault Starbucks for trying. If it wasn't for them, I'd still be drinking Folgers!

No Coffee for you!
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > March Coffeeings...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.277719020844)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+