Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Grinders, Coffees and Caffeines by Mark Prince
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Grinders,...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
JVBorella
JVBorella
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Speedster, Strega, Cremina
Grinder: K10 WBC, Bunnzilla
Vac Pot: Hario NCA 3 & 5, Mitzudash
Drip: Hario Wooden Neck/Buono
Roaster: Hottop KN-8828P/B
Posted Wed Nov 28, 2007, 9:49am
Subject: Re: Grinders, Coffees and Caffeines by Mark Prince

Mark, Thanks for the heads up on the Zassenhaus Mill as I've been looking for a grinder to take along on road trips.  I picked up one of the #156 Beech Knee Mills from Bald Mountain Coffee just in time for a trip next week.  Prices in the states seem to be lower then your area with the Knee Mills averaging around $75-$85.

John
 View Profile Link to this post
beanmanipulator
beanmanipulator
Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Thu Nov 29, 2007, 11:04am

Yo!! Have you tried Novo Coffee?? I keep looking for a review, but I can't find any on coffeegeek. If you haven't tried it yet, please do.
narc
narc
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: MCal,PVL2
Grinder: MacapMX, vintage hand...
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Thu Nov 29, 2007, 3:44pm

opps!  too much caffeine, resulting in my dribble?  Somewhere, sometime ago I thought I remembered a quote of ~20mg of caffeine extracted in a single.  Sloppy mind when I think I already have the answer & miss an obvious error.  Sorry:(

MarkPrince Said:

I think that calc is wrong because there's 1000 milligrams in a gram, not 100?

Mark

Posted November 27, 2007 link

Noel
Mano dell 'operatore> Macinadosatore> Miscela> Macchina espresso
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
phreaddy

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2007, 11:41am

Is last year's Holiday Gift Guide still available? I can't find it on the site but would like to peruse it.
SonnyFL
SonnyFL
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Vac Pot: French Press
Drip: Melita/Aerobie
Roaster: Fresh Roast Plus/iRoast 2
Posted Sun Dec 16, 2007, 10:50am

Mark:
in this article you said:
"While the HGL is taking a season's hiatus, efforts to raise money for CoffeeKids will not. For the month of December, we'll be featuring a direct donation link to CoffeeKids right on the front page of CoffeeGeek, as well as a mention at the start of each article for the month, a sticky in the forums, and banner ads on the website. For every dollar you donate through these special paypal links (which go directly to CoffeeKids), CoffeeGeek will match those donation dollars, up to $1,000. So the more you donate, the more we donate."

I want to do this and see nothing other than a link to the direct website.  Please advise me (and others) how to get matching contributions.  I am also curious if there is away to get matching by check instead of paypal as well.

Sincerely,

Matt Sonneborn
impalex

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Sun Dec 30, 2007, 6:48pm

Excellent article, in my very humble opinion.  I was under the impression that the longer the roasting process, the more caffine is cooked out--a manager at a coffeehouse I used to work at told me that when she was training me.  

I'm new to this site, just found it today, but I plan to stay tuned and continue to learn from your articles.

Glad to be a registered reader,
--ALEX
fugue137

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Aeropress, plunger pot, moka...
Grinder: Zassenhaus 169dg, Virtuoso
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 12:30pm

Interesting that you liked the new Zassenhaus grinders!

I have seen three of Zass's recent items---a 154ma, a 156ma, and a 169dg.  I did not disassemble them for close analysis, nor even try grinding beans in them, since I wanted to return them to the dealer.  Why would I want to do that?  Because construction quality on all three was far below the standard of my 2-year-old 169dg.

The main things I noticed were some errors in assembling, imprecision in the hopper closing mechanism, and the fact that the burrs weren't even aligned properly: the shaft was not quite perpendicular, which was most noticeable when the grind was set very fine, and a third of the grinding stroke would cause the burrs to grind against each other while the other two thirds was silent.  But the clincher for me was that the burrs don't look machined anymore, but are merely cast.  I've uploaded pictures from my old 169dg here:

http://ml.cs.colorado.edu/~ben/oldgrinder1.jpg
http://ml.cs.colorado.edu/~ben/oldgrinder2.jpg

...and pictures of the new 169dg here:

http://ml.cs.colorado.edu/~ben/newgrinder1.jpg
http://ml.cs.colorado.edu/~ben/newgrinder2.jpg

As you can see, the old grinder has very sharp, well-defined burrs, with obvious signs of machining.  The new one isn't as bad as most knock-off decorative grinders, but it is a big step down.  These are representative of the three newer Zassenhaus grinders I've seen.  Unfortunately, I don't know whether the new burrs are as effective, but they're obviously more cheaply made.

Any feedback on whether this is typical, and direct comparisons, would be appreciated.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Grinders,...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.213842868805)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+