Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
NYC Cafe Scene Report: March 2008 by Liz Clayton
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > NYC Cafe Scene...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
MarkPrince

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: KvdW Speedster
Grinder: Compak K10 WBC
Vac Pot: A bit too many
Drip: Clive Coffee Drip Stand
Roaster: Hario Glass Retro Roaster
Posted Sun Mar 30, 2008, 6:39am
Subject: Re: NYC Cafe Scene Report: March 2008 by Liz Clayton

Awesome report.

I also hear rumour of one of NYC's top restaurateurs travelling next week to get intensive one on one training to up their coffee game in their place o' business. I'm hoping Liz is going to be all over this.

Re "And last but not least, the big question looming remains who'll be NYC's first local specialty roaster? Stand by for updates.".... poor Don S. :(

Mark

CoffeeGeek Senior Editor
www.twitter.com/coffeegeek www.flickr.com/coffeegeek, www.instagram.com/coffeegeek (you get the picture)
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
caferacer

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Pulser
Grinder: Rocky
Posted Mon Mar 31, 2008, 6:45pm

Thanks for the great article Liz. I hadn't heard of El Beit and by coincedence my wife works two blocks away so I picked her up from work tonight and had a lovely espresso. Finally, drinkable espresso on Bedford. Will buy beans next time, had too much fresh Leftist at home already.

Thanks also for the props to Mike and Gimme. They are always so nice to me even though I'm a middle aged dork in a suit. It's all about the coffee with those guys.

Robey in Brooklyn
 View Profile Link to this post
fcsiv

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale S1 V2
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless Doser
Posted Tue Apr 1, 2008, 3:48pm

Anything more on 49th Parallel coffees making it to NYC? This brief mention was tantalizing...

Thankfully, I am lucky enough to have a dear sister mule some Australian single blend to the east coast from BC periodically, but this arrangement won't last forever. Every time I get ready to order direct from their website I lose resolve when I see the shipping charge.

On another note, I, for one, was very sad to see the Ninth Street blend change. It was great to run downtown and get a fresh bag of beans every week. I even called Counter Culture to see if they were planning to sell the discarded blend. They took my name and advised any like-minded persons to also register a request. So, give 'em a call if you'd like to see it offered.

Thanks for the article, btw.
ultrarockrunner
ultrarockrunner
Expertise: Professional

Posted Tue Apr 8, 2008, 5:26pm

Just a little tidbit about the roasting scene in New York: I'll be opening a specialty, micro-roastery in Queens coming up in the Fall of 2008. The name is Tabula Rasa Coffee Roasters. We'll be doing both a cafe and wholesale accounts. So if your in New York around October/November stop on by!

Cheers!
andys
andys
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Speedster, Londinium 1
Grinder: EK-43,Robur, HG One, M3
Vac Pot: Yama
Drip: various
Roaster: PIDed Popper
Posted Tue Apr 8, 2008, 6:23pm

ultrarockrunner Said:

I'll be opening a specialty, micro-roastery in Queens coming up in the Fall of 2008. The name is Tabula Rasa Coffee Roasters.

Posted April 8, 2008 link

Where in Queens?

-AndyS
picture page:  http://flickr.com/photos/andy_s/sets/
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
qwerty69
qwerty69

Posted Thu Apr 10, 2008, 1:10pm

Great article, I really wish you'd written it (and I'd read it)  before I went to Manhattan last November.  When we were there with the exception of Starbucks I was unable to get a decent (term used loosely) Coffee/Espresso.
Smoothe2112
Smoothe2112

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia-PID, Solis...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky, Maestro
Vac Pot: Press Pot
Drip: Cuisinart
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2008, 3:20pm

Thanks for the terrific article, Liz.  I travel to the City about 3 times a year.  In the past, I've had a heck of a time trying to find a decent non-chain to go to.  In fact, I kinda thought NYC was a bit of an espresso black hole (if you discount the fact that Starbucks is on every street corner...twice!).

When I did find one, they obviously didn't take their coffee seriously and served garbage.  Perhaps I was looking around the wrong part of town (the office I visit is in Times Square and when I can't stay at the Marquis, I like the financial district and the history surrounding it there).

Now it seems like good espresso will be just a short train ride away, if that.  What fun!!  And if I can get some great specialty beans to take home with me, all the better!

Hmmm...now how do I try to convince my colleagues to hold our next meeting in the City?!

Looking forward to your next report.
Oak
Oak

Espresso: PID-preheat coiled-Gaggia...
Grinder: Cunill Tranquilo, Solis...
Vac Pot: Cona B
Drip: Chemex, pour over, French...
Roaster: WB II
Posted Mon Apr 14, 2008, 5:50pm

Actually, there's already at least one mirco-roaster in NYC (Manhattan), although it doesn't make espresso and I'm not sure the blends would be well suited to it anyway. It's a really unique and visually pleasing place called Roasting Plant on Orchard just north of Grand. All the coffee is roasted in the store and then piped using vacuum to storage vessels (think drive through banking). From there it's suctioned on a per-order basis to some sort of super-auto brewing apparatus with the trade name "ergo" that produces a cup that is somewhere between an americano and drip. Very cool in that it has a completely self contained roasting and brewing setup that is both fun to watch and actually produces a pretty darn good cup of coffee. I'll avoid posting a link to their website, but it can be found through the usual means.
Puffskein

Posted Wed May 28, 2008, 7:01am

One of the great places in Manhattan to get Counter Culture is Everyman, on E. 13th street, between 3rd ave and park.  It was a 9th street location for a while, but is now independent.  
They're awesome, and on Wednesday mornings they play metal.  Nothing like coffee and headbanging to get your day started :)
Its also a close to Union Square Green Market.
ajknj

Espresso: La Marzocco Linea 3AV, La...
Grinder: Zassenhaus, Mazzer Mini
Drip: Chemex, Bodum French Press
Roaster: Hearthware Precision
Posted Thu May 29, 2008, 5:51pm

Interesting article on the rapidly changing coffee scene here in NYC.

Just curious why the following are not considered as local specialty coffee roasters in NYC:

In no particular order and perhaps missing a few:

Dallis Coffee - I believe 9th St. Espresso initally started with their espresso but I may be mistaken.
Gillies Coffee
Gorilla Coffee
Orens Daily Roast - Click Here (www.cupofexcellence.org)
Coffee Labs Roasters - Runner up Micro Roaster of the Year 2007
showing page 2 of 3 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > NYC Cafe Scene...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.235350131989)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+