Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
My Espresso is Cold! by Jim Piccinich
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > My Espresso is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
1stline
1stline
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Undisclosed
Grinder: Indisclosed
Vac Pot: Bodum Electric
Drip: None
Roaster: None
Posted Tue Oct 22, 2002, 11:00pm
Subject: My Espresso is Cold! by Jim Piccinich

My Espresso is Cold!
by Jim Piccinich

Are you experiencing the cold espresso blues? Click here for more info...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
coffeebeing
coffeebeing
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Zaffiro,Silvia,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini,Rocky,Solis...
Vac Pot: Yama,Cafetino,Silex
Drip: Cusinart Brew Central,...
Roaster: Cafe Rosto, Hearthware...
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2002, 2:57am
Subject: Another excellent article..

Once again, another great article.  Keep up the good work, Jim !

George W.
dougwiebe
dougwiebe
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Innova (Flat), Solis Maestro
Vac Pot: Cafetino Balance, B&D Infuze
Drip: Chemex - the best!
Roaster: Poppery popper
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2002, 1:19am
Subject: Re: My Espresso is Cold! by Jim Piccinich

Great solutions to common problems, Jim. You'll have to direct all your "cold espresso callers" to this article.
Doug.
JDenver

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2002, 7:53am
Subject: Not a bug but a feature.

I loved this line-  "Different espresso machine manufacturers may have different guidelines, which entail production of an espresso machine that may not produce hot water within our guideline. Therefore, being outside this guideline would not constitute a defect in the machine, but would constitute a production feature set by the manufacturer to not coincide with the guideline set forth within OUR company."

This is the classic "it's not a bug, it's a FEATURE" cop out well known from the software industry.

Your guidelines are entirely reasonable, some would say even too generous. So if a machine cannot perform in that range, I don't care whether that is the intended design performance of the model or an individual defect - the machine is no good and you should send it back and get another model that does fall within the proper range.
CarolLee

Expertise: Aficionado

Posted Mon Feb 24, 2003, 12:00pm
Subject: Great tips!

I never thought to test the temp. & when I did, found it to be only 160 degrees. Also, found that my group gasket needed replacing to keep the pressure constant. After following Jim's tips, I had great hot espresso with rich crema and didn't have to buy a new machine! Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
ezrabean
ezrabean
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Pavoni
Grinder: Mazzar
Vac Pot: Bodum
Drip: French Press
Posted Wed Apr 9, 2003, 4:48pm
Subject: Don't forget to waste the 1st shot

Being in the wholesale coffee business I always remind my friends and customers to please waste that 1st espresso shot. Only after the machine has been turned on for the day or the groups have been washed. You need to coat the espresso groups with the coffee's oil. And please always back flush your espresso machine. The bean deserves that much!

Ezrabean
like_it_hot

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Posted Thu Oct 27, 2005, 1:30pm

Jim,

Thanks for the good tips in the article!
Just bought my first Espresso machine. Initially thought of buying a Nespresso machine since it's an easy system but did not like the idea of being stuck to using Nespresso cups...
After reading a lot of reviews, also at the coffee geek site I decided to go for a real machine and bought the Rancilio Silvia.
I'm using it with ground coffee and servings when I want less hassle.

As a newbie I thought my machine because I couldn't get hot espresso. Warmed up the system and cup with water shots but that still did not produce hot coffee.
By starting the shot just after the temperature is reached (light switches off) I get good hot espresso, hot enough to burn your mouth :-)

Addicted already so next is probably getting my own grinder....

Like_it_hot
jacs

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2008, 7:10pm

I know this is a real old thread, but I thought it would be worth noting that the method for measuring the temperature may not work in a thermoblock machine. A thermoblock is designed to produce a certain temperature under a certain amount of back pressure. If you simply measure the temperature of the water coming out of the group head, then there will be more water passing through the thermoblock than it was designed to handle and so the temperature will be down. The only way to do it, is to dose, tamp and put the full pf into the grouphead, while inserting on top of the puck, a pid. Then lock the whole lot in. The pid's wire should be ok as it is pressed up against the seal. There may be a little leak around where the wire passes between seal and pf but not much. Then extract as normal, taking note of the temperature. You may have to do this a few times to get an average. You might waste a few cups of espresso, but at least you should get a reasonably accurate reading without having to resort to any real espensive testing equipment.
mauisurfer

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Fri Aug 13, 2010, 7:36pm

I have an old 1997 Gaggia Paros.  It has a grinder which I no longer
use.  (I am told Paros has same espresso maker as Tebe.)
If I turn it on, and set it to steam, and wait maybe 5 minutes
until the steam is steady/strong & without any water drips, then
it will steam milk, tho it takes another minute and half to get it to 150+F.
If I then make the espresso, it makes a pretty good cup.
But the espresso reaches 180F at very most, and I wish it were
hotter.
And if I do not run the steamer first (just wait for the light), then the temperature is considerably lower.
When machine is heating, it measures 600+ watts, although it is
rated at 1425 watts (for heater alone, not counting lights, etc).
Suggestions to make it hotter would be appreciated.
TheMummaFamily

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Grimac Zola II 3 group &...
Grinder: Mazzer Major, Pasquini H269
Vac Pot: We wish.  Aeropress though.
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Corretto=HG/BM
Posted Sat Aug 14, 2010, 7:57pm

Sounds like you might need a longer warm up time.  Another suggestion is that you start a new thread all your own, so that this important question does not get lost in the shuffle.  

Hope you get it all taken care of, and welcome to CoffeeGeek!!

"Three of the four elements are variable, but the fourth one has to be adaptable, knowledgeable and intuitive."  Mark Prince Click Here (www.coffeegeek.com)
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > My Espresso is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299083948135)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+