Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Trans-Canada Coffee Adventure, Part 2: The Prairies, The Cafe Stage
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Trans-Canada...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
espressobsessed
espressobsessed
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: La Marzocco Strada & GB5
Grinder: LM Vulcano, Anfim, Ditting
Vac Pot: Hario Deco
Drip: Metal filter pourover, FP &...
Roaster: Ambex ym-5 with Drumroaster...
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2007, 1:14pm
Subject: Re: Trans-Canada Coffee Adventure, Part 2: The Prairies, The Cafe Stage

Having been to Winnipeg a half dozen times, I can vouch for Liz and say there's nothing worthwhile in Winnipeg... hearsay, word of mouth... if there was something, we'd know.  There isn't.

The other thing, FurryCanuck, is Liz was doing this as part of a cross country tour with a band (Dinosaur Jr, I think)... so she didn't have the luxury of staying another day in Calgary.

I think you owe her an apology.

blog: espressolab.ca
work: museocoffee.com

owner/barista at Museo Coffee
Saskatoon SK Canada
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SuburbanLatte
SuburbanLatte
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Ascaso Steel Uno PM Prof
Grinder: Vario
Vac Pot: Hario TCA-2 & Yama SY-5
Drip: Chemex, Hario V60  & AP
Roaster: iRoast2
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2007, 3:40pm
Subject: Re: Trans-Canada Coffee Adventure, Part 2: The Prairies, The Cafe Stage

For what it's worth, the "Little Italy" section of Corydon Ave. near Pembina Hwy in Winnipeg has some traditional espresso bars worth visiting.  Not worth planning a trip around, mind you, but if you are there on a coffee mission, I'd start there.

No complaints to Liz, though, of course.  Thanks for the detail on the cafes you were able to hit and the people that made it work for you.  Rock and sip on!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Keytaykat
Keytaykat

Posted Tue Dec 4, 2007, 4:17pm

i concur with the last post... articles such as this are not meant to be a definative guide to all Canadian cafes, forever, period.
it is a travel journal, and one of the great things about it is the *friendly* dialogue it should create.
lets keep the canadian coffee community friendly, not vindictive!
RussP
RussP
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 3gp Slayer
Grinder: Malkonig and Mazzer Kony's
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: Probat and Gothot
Posted Tue Dec 4, 2007, 5:35pm

The only thing I find disappointing about most coffee reviews/raves is that a lot of people will typically only review the same roasters.....The "safe ones" are always Intelli, and 49th, and if a cafe isn't serving this, then they can't be any good.  How can these small roasters get noticed, if people don't even try/write about their coffees?

There are SO MANY good roasters appearing on the scene who aren't getting a fair shake.  I was happy to see a write up on Zoka Coffee the other day.  Its funny as it was one of the first mentions I have read and they are "the roast of the year" in Roast Magazine.   Zoka is doing an amazing job by the way.  

People need to give cafes a fair tasting and judge them on their skills as barista's and cafe owners, not solely on who their suppliers are.  If you do this, you might just find something that is new and exciting.  

Just my opinion.

RussP
www.fratellocoffee.com
Twitter - FratelloCoffee2
Facebook - Fratello Coffee Roasters
chiefofculture

Expertise: Pro Barista

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 1:07am

Having worked as a barista in Vancouver and Vancouver Island  the praries can seem like a total wastland but we are building a community slowly.   As a coffee industry type on the praries I am, of course, intrigued to see how we are doing in the eyes of the greater coffee community. 'The Prairies' profile made me grumpy, not because it was it was off the mark but because it highlights the need for better coffee out here.  After competing as the sole 'Prarie' participant at Nationals this year I have been chewing on ideas as to how to build more of a 'third wave' community in the region.  We host a city wide barista jam which was a fun, however I think the Praries could use its own certified Barista competition.  Or at least a few more industry get togethers. Little shop talk?
 View Profile Link to this post
Fireweed

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 3:51am

RussP Said:

The only thing I find disappointing about most coffee reviews/raves is that a lot of people will typically only review the same roasters.....The "safe ones" are always Intelli, and 49th, and if a cafe isn't serving this, then they can't be any good.  How can these small roasters get noticed, if people don't even try/write about their coffees?

There are SO MANY good roasters appearing on the scene who aren't getting a fair shake.  I was happy to see a write up on Zoka Coffee the other day.  Its funny as it was one of the first mentions I have read and they are "the roast of the year" in Roast Magazine.   Zoka is doing an amazing job by the way.  

People need to give cafes a fair tasting and judge them on their skills as barista's and cafe owners, not solely on who their suppliers are.  If you do this, you might just find something that is new and exciting.  

Just my opinion.

Posted December 4, 2007 link

Russ; I don't mean to start any bad feelings with my comments but I think they may do that anyway.

I read your post thinking that maybe the reasony why an intelligentsia or a 49th get so much good press is because they source and roast great coffees and do it more often than other companies. I dont think of these companies as "safe ones". I think of them as quality producers. If other roasters sourcing great coffees and roasting great coffees are out there, people talk about them too. Mark has been mentioning lots of different roasters and coffee sources in his articles lately and I actually ordered some coffees from PTs (never heard of them before) and Zoka because of his tasting notes. So I think roasters doing great coffees do get mentioned a lot here.

This is where the post might get messy. I think most of us who read Canada west know you are a coffee roaster and that you source some great coffees. I read one of your posts talking about your Coe involvement and said that was really cool!

But I've tried some of your company's coffees Russ, and I wasn't going to say anything in the Canada West forum about them good or bad until you made this comment because it seems you may be upset that your roastery isn't mentioned in Liz's article Maybe I'm reading that wrong but here goes anyway.

Maybe your coffee isn't mentioned or sought after by writers like Liz because not enough CGers have had experience good or bad with it. I have only had two experiences with your coffee so my experience is limited to that and may not be indicative of all the coffees you roast. I had it once in Calgary in September at one of the cafes mentioned in Mark;s summer article and more recently Boneta restaurant here in Vancouver (I didn't know you supplied out here but the barkeep told me what coffee they used).  The espresso I had at Boneta and the coffee and espresso in Calgary were both disappointing. It could be operator mistakes, but the coffee roast seemed blazed to death to me. Really dark. Maybe that's what the two places preferred but all I could smell was skunk in the nose of the espresso and coffee.

And it was only two tries. I assume you don't roast your Coes dark or anything past a full city?

I am sorry if this offends.
RussP
RussP
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 3gp Slayer
Grinder: Malkonig and Mazzer Kony's
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: Probat and Gothot
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 8:46am

Offended?  Not at all.  Both of those places use a very dark espresso, which isn't my style either.  They were probably brewing a really dark espresso with a very high temperature on their machines as well.  And no, I don't roast COE's dark.  I don't like dark roast very much.  

I also want to say that Intelli, 49th, ARE DOING a great job and are sourcing amazing coffee.  They are raising the bar for the rest os us roasters, and if we don't improve, we will loose in the end.  I respect them both VERY MUCH.  

Mark has been doing some great write up on some great roasters.  My comment is more on the cafe's who get written up all the time.  They always seem to be the same ones, and I wish other people would comment, write about, and give other cafes a chance to shine.  However, I agree that the cafe's typically mentioned are the ones doing a consistently good job, so it really is a catch 22.  

In Vancouver, I hear about 3-5 cafes, and they are the ones we all hear about, all the time.  Vancouver has a great coffee scene, and has way more than 5 cafes doing a good job.  Same with Calgary, Edmonton and the rest of Western Canada.  

To me my posting is a general posting to encourage people to experiment with different cafes and start commenting on them.  Lets find out about the other cafes and places to go to.  We already know that THOSE cafes are good.  When you read something like "I walked up, and turned away with out trying something...." why not try them?

RussP
www.fratellocoffee.com
Twitter - FratelloCoffee2
Facebook - Fratello Coffee Roasters
s1rfletch
s1rfletch
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Nope... press pot, V60
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 1:11pm

espressobsessed Said:

Having been to Winnipeg a half dozen times, I can vouch for Liz and say there's nothing worthwhile in Winnipeg... hearsay, word of mouth... if there was something, we'd know.  There isn't.

Posted December 4, 2007 link

Now that I've heard from 2 people that there isn't anything good in Winnipeg, it must be true!  Please, have some kind of journalistic integrity; go to a shop, write a review.  If it sucks, it sucks.  But who knows, maybe there is something there that 2 people don't know about.  Don't just skip over a city (that happens to be a destination on your Cross-Country Coffee Adventure) just because someone who doesn't know of anything good, makes a definitive statement saying that there is nothing good there.  Try it out for yourself and write a review!  While Winnipeg doesn't have the prestige of Seattle or Vancouver have for coffee, doesn't mean that there isn't someone brewing a mean cup in town.  Corydon Ave is somewhere to check things out, as well as the Exchange District where there are many coffee shops worth checking out.  If this is supposed to be a friendly travel journal, Liz really shouldn't have even mentioned Calgary and Winnipeg in her travels because of the really bad rap she gave to both cities.  Apparently, Phil and Sebastian's is the only place worthwhile to drink coffee in Calgary, the rest are full of burnt-out hippies who drink bad coffee, while Winnipeg doesn't brew anything other than Maxwell House and isn't worth even stopping anywhere for a single drink.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in a journalistic write up like this, all cities should be given a fair shake, and some kind of effort should be given to allow the local shops to prove themselves.
estratto
estratto

Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 1:48pm

Did you fail to notice that she didn't go to Victoria either (a west coast coffee mecca)?  Canada is a big country and some places will get missed.  It's pretty impressive that she went on a nation wide cafe crawl - it's easier to visit all of the indie shops in a city or town, but an ENTIRE country?  

Great job Liz.  I'll be even more impressed if you finish up at Steve-o-Renos in Halifax.
QahwahDawg

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: none
Grinder: Black and Decker blade
Vac Pot: none
Drip: white plastic wal-mart...
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 2:15pm

John_Manzo Said:

Wow, your little TINY mention of Calgary reads almost exactly like another blog I read last summer:

"Sadly, my jaunt through Calgary would be ill-timed to make a planned meeting at Phil & Sebastian, despite trying to get Sebastian on the phone just before they closed up at the Calgary Farmer's Market for the day... apparently the guys are rocking Hines coffee on a LaMarzocco and Clovering other delights. Too bad Calgary sucked so much otherwise, this probably would have elevated my opinion! Next time (if there is one)..."

Posted December 3, 2007 link

What's the address of the blog where you read the above?  
-----
Steve B
showing page 2 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Trans-Canada...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.299926042557)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+