Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Articles: CoffeeGeek Columnist Feedback
Trans-Canada Coffee Adventure, Part 2: The Prairies, The Cafe Stage
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Trans-Canada...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
s1rfletch
s1rfletch
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Hario Skerton
Vac Pot: Nope... press pot, V60
Posted Wed Dec 5, 2007, 3:07pm
Subject: Re: Trans-Canada Coffee Adventure, Part 2: The Prairies, The Cafe Stage

I'm sure that you would also be a little peeved at her journalism if she did go to Victoria, didn't make it to one shop (that was good as in the example of Calgary's Phil and Sebastian's) that she wanted to go to, ended up going to some dive with bad coffee and then wrote off the city as sucking pretty badly on the coffee front.  I would never expect her to visit every shop in every city across this giant country - that is pretty unreasonable, but when a city is a documented stop on the tour, I'd expect a higher caliber review on the city.
 View Profile Link to this post
xray

Espresso: Isomac Millennium
Grinder: Anfim Best
Vac Pot: -
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster
Roaster: -
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2007, 5:13pm
Subject: Re: Trans-Canada Coffee Adventure, Part 2: The Prairies, The Cafe Stage

I'm a bit amused at how a few posters are upset at the apparent "dissing" of Calgary in the article. Chill out ;) It's not like anyone would form their opinion about the Calgary coffee scene (or any of the other cities) solely based on this article. If you read between the lines me thinks that the author was a little miffed that Phil & Sebastian didn't juggle their schedules to accommodate her visit, which kind of sets the tone for her comments.

I drink, therefore I am.
citizenA

Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Mirage
Grinder: Robur
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Yum
Roaster: 49th/Ritual/Heart
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2007, 7:34pm

xray Said:

me thinks that the author was a little miffed that Phil & Sebastian didn't juggle their schedules to accommodate her visit, which kind of sets the tone for her comments.

Posted December 6, 2007 link

wow. just wow.
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
ANON

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PLEASE
Grinder: DELETE
Vac Pot: MY
Drip: USER
Roaster: ACCOUNT
Posted Thu Dec 6, 2007, 10:23pm

I'm fortunate working close by Three Banana's.  It's become a regular visit.  After I've had my first Americano of the day finished, I head over to Three Banana's for another.  Sometimes I'll add a delicious maple walnut muffin to the order.  I've found Three Banana's to be a life saver on those mornings when my timer failed to turn my Andreja on.  On those days, I'm one of the first people in the door when they open at 7:00am during the week, and it's a real treat when the muffins are just coming out of the oven.

It's too bad you found out about Transcend too late - as it's a great place as well. I just heard about it myself a few weeks back reading these forums.  Had to try their Esmeralda roast brewed in a Clover - and watched while others were having coffee's prepared in Yama's. I thought it was pretty cool being able to go into a cafe and have a coffee prepared any way you like! The folks there definitely take their coffee seriously, and have fun at it.
lizclayton
lizclayton

Grinder: Maestro Solis / Zassenhaus
Drip: French press, Chemex, Eva...
Posted Fri Dec 7, 2007, 1:05am

I think it's kind of great that although a bunch of people are randomly incensed about their personal scene/city not being given the shake they feel it deserves (believe me, I wish I'd had the time and resources as much as you do), it has generated a lot of discussion about pride in some of the prairie provinces' emerging coffee communities, and a thoughtful discourse about why people gravitate or don't towards certain roasters. These are absolutely conversations people should be having, and I'm glad the article has stimulated that discussion, despite it seeming to be interspersed with ad hominem attacks.

My first half hour in Calgary was pretty great, by the way — I got a free cupcake and met a cat named Boom Boom. And the coffee there was still better than what I had at the Starbucks in Wetaskiwin!
RussP
RussP
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: 3gp Slayer
Grinder: Malkonig and Mazzer Kony's
Vac Pot: Clover
Drip: Fetco
Roaster: Probat and Gothot
Posted Wed Dec 12, 2007, 8:23pm

I was recently in Seattle (Dec 6) for one day and while I was there I went to and reviewed 14 cafes.

The main purpose of this post is - What does it take to be a “3rd Wave” cafe?  Read this post and find out what some of the best in Seattle are doing - I would have put this directly onto coffeegeek.com; however, it is WAY to long, plus it will have far to many pictures to put onto here.  

I reviewed:

Stumptown (both locations)
Caffe Vita
Zoka Coffee
Victrola
Vivace
Trabant (both locations)
Cafe Allegro
Starbucks
Solstice
Caffe Fiore
Zeitgeist Coffee
Cafe Umbria

I have put the post up at Click Here (www.fratellocoffee.com)

I was hoping to bring a bit of the Seattle coffee scene back to Canada, so we all could learn and hear/see what these people are doing to win in their areas.  

Russ

PS - All of my pics will be posted in the next day or so.

RussP
www.fratellocoffee.com
Twitter - FratelloCoffee2
Facebook - Fratello Coffee Roasters
elkhedewi

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2007, 5:57pm

Great articles.. One day I'll drive from Montreal to Vancouver, sampling coffee, corn, beer, whatever!

Speaking of which, could I get a sneak preview of the cafés you visited in Montréal?? The suspense is killing me
PhilR

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: LM FB-80, Synesso Cyncra /...
Grinder: Anfim Super Caimano, Mazzer...
Drip: Clover Baby!
Roaster: Probat UG15
Posted Sat Dec 22, 2007, 12:30am

Liz,

I’m truly sorry that you didn’t get a chance to pay a visit to our shop.  It was myself, Phil, that you spoke to on the phone.  We would have gladly stayed open 10 minutes (even longer), and we routinely do this if customers are hanging around at closing time (in fact we did it today).  I feel compelled to defend our café, as it’s been implied that we’re a bunch of self-serving pricks.  As I recall, it was more like an hour (actually, if my memory serves me correctly, you weren’t sure when you’d arrive) before you would get to the café, but between the bad cell reception, the noise in the café, and the 15 drinks on the bar I might have misunderstood.  I think we talked earlier in the day, and I provided you with directions to the market (but my memory is a little hazy on this).  Additionally, I really didn’t understand your situation.  I had received a 30 second call from Arthur (at Wicked in Vancouver) re someone wanting to visit our café.  That’s all I knew.  If I had known that you were in the middle of a cross-country café tour, you better believe that we’d have made efforts to give you chance to visit.  Also, my understanding from our phone call was that you would just come the following morning.  No big deal.  Again, I guess I misunderstood (it didn’t make sense to me that you would arrive in Calgary in the early evening and not be there the next morning).

Hope you have a chance to visit sometime in the future.  We’ll be sure to take good care of ya! ;-)

Phil Robertson
Phil & Sebastian Coffee Co.
John_Manzo
John_Manzo

Espresso: Elektra Microcasa a Leva,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: none
Drip: presspot
Roaster: nada (yet)
Posted Fri Jan 11, 2008, 8:22pm

QahwahDawg Said:

What's the address of the blog where you read the above?  
-----
Steve B

Posted December 5, 2007 link

http://chinesebroccoli.org/coffee/

Posted Mon Jan 14, 2008, 1:27pm

I'm sorry the hippie burnout coffee shop in Calgary, which was obviously The Roasterie on 10th St., didn't work out. Though the staff can be rather unpracticed with the espresso slinging, the beans are top notch. It's best to pick up some beans and brew them yourself. The espresso blend works well in an Aeropress if you find yourself traveling a lot.

P&S are damn good but the farmer's market can be such a hassle to get to. I wish they'd open a cafe downtown or on 17th.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Articles > Columnist... > Trans-Canada...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.257860898972)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+